Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Three Rings Fourpoint282's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Cabriolet head lights...what aftermarket ones you got?

Trying to find a decent set of aftermarket S4 cab headlights. What headlights you guys running, how do you like Ďem and share pics if you can.

Mine arenít terrible, but a lil cloudy. Iíve tried the repair kit and that helps a little, but looking to freshen up the look a bit

Sent from my iPad using Audizine

Veteran Member Four Rings Blackstallion's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Cloudy as in condensation? Cause their is some DIY regarding the o ring size. Iím not a fan of aftermarket headlights that are offered whether itís a b6 or b7

AZ Member #

B6...not condensation but just some discoloration Image1531481962.754114.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Why not just buy new lenses?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

Veteran Member Four Rings Nollywood's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 Avant 420-R, Toyota Runx 1.4 16V

Quote Originally Posted by VinnysS4 View Post
    Why not just buy new lenses?
    If replacement lenses are available for these headlamps, itís news to me. Arenít the polycarbonate lenses bonded to the housings??
    His:
    B6 420-TS Avant - RS6 4.2 BiTurbo, (BCY). B6/7 Hybrid "RS4" OEM Widebody Coming Soon.

Hers:
    2002 Toyota Runx, 1.4L DOHC 16V Auto.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Nollywood View Post
    If replacement lenses are available for these headlamps, itís news to me. Arenít the polycarbonate lenses bonded to the housings??
    I guess I may have assumed they were available and swappable like other s4 lenses

1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I guess I may have assumed they were available and swappable like other s4 lenses
    S4 Sedan / Avant lenses are available and swappable? If they are, Iíd be interested in a set for a pair of B6 S4 headlamps I purchased last year.
    His:
    B6 420-TS Avant - RS6 4.2 BiTurbo, (BCY). B6/7 Hybrid "RS4" OEM Widebody Coming Soon.

Hers:

AZ Member #

B7 are available, not b6. It was my fault for reading the first post and scrolling down to reply without reading the rest.
    That being said. Yes they are openable. B6 and b7. If it were me, and I wanted to retain the OEM housings, I would buy a cheap set of replacement headlights and swap the lenses between the two. Like these
    https://www.am-autoparts.com/Audi/Au...gaAr-aEALw_wcB
    And no I haven't done it on a B6, but I would be willing to do it.

Last edited by VinnysS4; 07-13-2018 at 10:12 AM.

My build log

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thatís an awesome idea, VinnysS4. Thatís what Iíll do, buy a cheap pair of brand new units and bake the lenses off.
    His:

Hers:

AZ Member #

Or just use the cheap ones. OR,
    Get a cheap buffer, polishing compound, and spend a couple hours polishing the outsides. If it's the insides, bake em open, do the same inside and out. Just make sure to use a UV protecting clear coat to prevent them from yellowing.

My build log

AZ Member #

Or just use the cheap ones. OR,
    Get a cheap buffer, polishing compound, and spend a couple hours polishing the outsides. If it's the insides, bake em open, do the same inside and out. Just make sure to use a UV protecting clear coat to prevent them from yellowing.

Ok so a couple of things. The swappable lenses that you speak of is only for avants and sedans. The cabrio (I believe) has a diff lenses. Secondly Iíve bought a refresh kit and the picture above is as cleaned up as I can get it. So refresh kit is out. Swapable lense is out(I think)...what else you got? :)

AZ Member #

Then polish them properly with a buffer and ascending polishing compounds until they are crystal clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourpoint282 View Post
    Ok so a couple of things. The swappable lenses that you speak of is only for avants and sedans. The cabrio (I believe) has a diff lenses. Secondly Iíve bought a refresh kit and the picture above is as cleaned up as I can get it. So refresh kit is out. Swapable lense is out(I think)...what else you got? :)

My build log

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Problem with buffing and polishing is you are still removing the UV protection thats on the lights. What you should do is have a body shop sand them down with like 600-800 and put a few layers of clear coat on . Then youll have UV protection back on the lenses and they will be clear.
    2008 DTM RS4

Instagram--@tjbradney

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Iíll rather buy a cheap new set, and swap the lenses.

ďRefurbingĒ discolored lenses will get them looking good, but if the originals have clouded, refurbed lenses would have an even shorter life span.
    His:

Hers:

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Nollywood View Post
    Iíll rather buy a cheap new set, and swap the lenses.

ďRefurbingĒ discolored lenses will get them looking good, but if the originals have clouded, refurbed lenses would have an even shorter life span.
    Iím confused about this ďswapping lensesĒ thing. I have a cabrio. I believe my lights are slightly different (could be wrong). How can I tell if my lenses are removable?

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Iím confused about this ďswapping lensesĒ thing. I have a cabrio. I believe my lights are slightly different (could be wrong). How can I tell if my lenses are removable?

you're not confused, they are =P. The lenses on the B6 headlights are notoriously difficult to remove, and there are pretty much zero aftermarket options for the cabriolet, so there's nothing to swap the lens covers from. If you don't want to shell out for new OEM housings (which are insanely priced), then a lightly used OEM set might be your best option
    2007 RS4 Sprint/Ebony, Ti, 110k
    JHM/BC Racing/Milltek/oCarbon

RIP 2002 A4 2.0TQM Denim/Ebony, 243k
    FWD->AWD, Bische-tuned GT2871R

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Is your Cabriolet B6 or B7?

B7 headlamps are the same, through Avant, Cabriolet and Sedan. B6 Cabriolet headlamps are unique, different to Avant or Sedan.

As for swapping lenses in either, I believe the process in any B6 in fairly involved, and involves baking the headlamps in a domestic oven for about 15 minutes on low heat (pre-heated oven). This is to soften the glue. This process involves removing the lenses from a non-Xenon pair to swap onto S4 items. Not worth doing on non-Xenon units.

B7 lenses are commercially available as separate parts. Iím not sure if they are clipped on or bonded to the housings. If they are clipped, replacement will be easy. If they are bonded, the B6 method will have to be used.
    His:

Hers:

AZ Member #

B6

Sent from my iPad using Audizine