Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

RS4 Grill Mesh Backing Options

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Curious what everyone is running as the mesh backing behind their RS4 grill.

I've seen the following option used as mesh backing for the RS4 grill:

https://www.mcnichols.com/search?Ntt...uestid=1421233

However, I'm wondering if there are additional/other options other people are using. I found the following on eBay which also look like good options:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CCG-UNIVERS...T/191411344238

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CCG-UNIVERS...T/192512755432

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

A couple of us have used this black mesh from these guys: https://www.customcargrills.com/prod...=Diamond_Small

Works well. The holes are small enough to obscure most everything behind the grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mark: 0000_S5
    2015 S5 Premium Plus, Ibis White
    Llumar 20% Tint (sides, back)
    Llumar Clear Ceramic Tint (windshield, sunroof)
    Llumar Paint Protection (front, hood, front quarters)
    Black Wrap Roof & Mirrors
    CR-15 Strut Tower Bar
    Gloss Black Audi Rings, S5 Badges
    Carbon Imports Rear Diffuser v2

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '14 S4 '05 987S

I ordered this. I haven't installed it yet, but the material looks pretty good in person. I like that it is anodized vs. painted/coated. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Wi...e/261058656720

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 0000_S5 View Post
    A couple of us have used this black mesh from these guys: https://www.customcargrills.com/prod...=Diamond_Small

Works well. The holes are small enough to obscure most everything behind the grill.

I presume you had to order the 24"x48" to be large enough for the grill?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbler View Post
    I ordered this. I haven't installed it yet, but the material looks pretty good in person. I like that it is anodized vs. painted/coated. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Wi...e/261058656720
    Yeah, I like that as well. I wonder whether powder coating or anodized is more durable against rock chips...

AZ Member #

I emailed the guy at Cargrillz and he sold me an 18Ēx48Ē of the small hex pattern for $75 + shipping ($86 total). Iíve had it in for 10 months and no chips. Unfortunately, my windshield has not fared as well.

The power coated mesh at the eBay link you found looks good too. Canít go wrong either way.

CR-15 Strut Tower Bar

AZ Member #

One thing to check is the gage/diameter of the wire. The eBay seller doesnít mention it, but the Cargrillz page does. Iíd go with whichever is thicker.

CR-15 Strut Tower Bar

AZ Member #

Iím attaching a closeup of the Cargrillz material for perspective. Also, this material will not cut with scissors; the eBay version apparently will. Youíll need tin snips.

CR-15 Strut Tower Bar

AZ Member #

^^ Thanks for that close-up and feedback. That looks like some good sturdy material. Tin snips are in the toolbox for sure. If you've ever cut custom grills before, you'll never be without a pair again :)

Veteran Member Four Rings sacandagaD's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 S4 P+, 2015 BMW X3 M-sport, 2005 Honda Element
    Items for Sale

I used the McNicols mesh on mine, and while it works really well, you obviously have to paint it, so anything comparable and already coated black, would seem to be a nice option. If someone does buy this screen, post up your experience for us all.
    2015 P+, Sepang Blue, Black/Black Alcantara, Tech package, Sport Diff, DSG, Carbon inlays, B&O, Hard wired V1, CR-15, 3M film, 19" PSS/Hartmann Rotor reps, Akebonos, LED interior lights, ZxE fogs, CW Pro, Soundakator mute, RS Rep grille.

Loved but traded: 2011 S4 P+, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Black/Silver Alcantara

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

So I've got my bumper, with the "quattro style" grille attached to it, sitting on my dining room table right now. I got the grille in the mail and started the installation process after work, but it was getting late so I left it to finish tonight. And no, my lovely wife isn't thrilled to have an S4 bumper sitting in the dining room!

Anyway, after seeing this thread, I was hoping to get some opinions on installing mesh behind the grille vs. just leaving it open. Is it mainly for protection from rocks? Do most people put something behind the grille, or not? Any options that I could pick up at a retail store, rather than ordering online (to get my car back and minimize my wife's frustration)?

Thanks!

Veteran Member Four Rings sacandagaD's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 S4 P+, 2015 BMW X3 M-sport, 2005 Honda Element
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by rtmeikle View Post
    So I've got my bumper, with the "quattro style" grille attached to it, sitting on my dining room table right now. I got the grille in the mail and started the installation process after work, but it was getting late so I left it to finish tonight. And no, my lovely wife isn't thrilled to have an S4 bumper sitting in the dining room!

Anyway, after seeing this thread, I was hoping to get some opinions on installing mesh behind the grille vs. just leaving it open. Is it mainly for protection from rocks? Do most people put something behind the grille, or not? Any options that I could pick up at a retail store, rather than ordering online (to get my car back and minimize my wife's frustration)?

Thanks!
    Primarily for protection since it's pretty open with the honeycomb, but it also looks much better with it, IMO. I even put a small protective screen in the bumper above the splitter to protect the intercooler. If you are not going to reinstall the upper grille support bracket, it should leave enough room so you can go ahead and install it without a screen, and then go back and put it in later. However, if you are going to reuse the upper support ( I did ), you will have to pull the grille again, in order to mount the screen right behind it.
    2015 P+, Sepang Blue, Black/Black Alcantara, Tech package, Sport Diff, DSG, Carbon inlays, B&O, Hard wired V1, CR-15, 3M film, 19" PSS/Hartmann Rotor reps, Akebonos, LED interior lights, ZxE fogs, CW Pro, Soundakator mute, RS Rep grille.

Loved but traded: 2011 S4 P+, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Black/Silver Alcantara