Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

KW HAS Kit pinging

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Let me preface by saying the KW HAS Kit has improved the handling and appearance of my S4 without any compromise to the ride. In fact, my stock PFL RS3 was much harsher than my current car. It rides beautifully.

The only issue I have is a pinging sound when rotating the wheels if the car is stationary or creeping forward/reverse.

The car has been back to the installer twice. The kit was reset but no improvement. The issue appears to be the helper spring causing the pinging sound.

The installer put in some copper grease at the base of the helper spring which has reduced tge frequency of the noise by 90%, but not eliminated it completely. This is obviously a temporary fix. He feels a rubber shim at the base of this spring will get rid of the noise completely but I donít want to modify the kit.

The KW distributor has been made aware of the issue and it is not the first time they have heard of this with respect to the kit. Another installer has also reported the same issue.

Measurements were taken and are being relayed back to KW Germany.

In the meantime while I hear back from KW, has anybody else experienced this problem and if so was there a fix?

Veteran Member Four Rings CreoSTi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Acura RDX

I have not experienced that noise (yet), but I only have a few hundred miles on my KW HAS.

Maybe try installing a thrust sheet similar to these?

http://www.swiftsprings.com/products/misc/
    -Mike- : 2001 S4 → 2011 S4 → 2014 S6 → 2018 S4
    LendUS, LLC

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thanks CreoSti. I think my installer was recommending something similar. Providing the correct diameter exists, I might give these thrust sheets a try.

Iím not holding my breath with KW to provide me with an answer.

Veteran Member Four Rings washyourrhands's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8.5 S4

Mine did this at first, but hasnít done it in some time now. I did the same thing and went back to the installer several times. It was a massive headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2015 Audi S4
    2007 Audi RS4
    2002 Audi S4

Instagram: @washyourrhands #bodenarmy

Veteran Member Four Rings washyourrhands's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8.5 S4

Quote Originally Posted by washyourrhands View Post
    Mine did this at first, but hasnít done it in some time now. I did the same thing and went back to the installer several times. It was a massive headache.

Just realized I was in the b9 section, but still the same suspension was binding haha

2015 Audi S4
    2007 Audi RS4
    2002 Audi S4

Instagram: @washyourrhands #bodenarmy

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Problem solved! KW supplied the correct diameter thrust sheets and installer fit them yesterday. The pinging HAS completely disappeared.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Three Rings AutoTalent's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Bourne View Post
    Problem solved! KW supplied the correct diameter thrust sheets and installer fit them yesterday. The pinging HAS completely disappeared.
    Good to hear and know. Glad it got resolved.

Dan@AutoTalent.com

Aerodynamics | Suspension | Exhaust | Wheels
    AWE | Avant Garde | Akrapovič | BBS | Brembo | Forgestar | Frequency Intelligent | KW | Klassen | H&R | Milltek | Remus | Stoptech | Vorsteiner | Vossen
    Instagram | Used Parts | Website

Veteran Member Four Rings CreoSTi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 Acura RDX

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Bourne View Post
    Glad it was resolved. I think I experienced this once recently while turning up a driveway. I'll have my shop reach out to KW if it becomes more consistent.
    -Mike- : 2001 S4 → 2011 S4 → 2014 S6 → 2018 S4
    LendUS, LLC