Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Noise if 1st gear after smf conversion kit

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello I just bought an 2004 audi a4 ultrasport 6 speed and there is a rattling noise in first gear. But in any other gear there is no noise. Also the clutch has just recently been changed they replaced the dmf for a smf conversion kit from valeo. The new clutch feels fine and shifts really good. I did some research and im not sure if it is the new clutch or the a chipped first gear is making the noise. I read that the smf can make some noise but mostly in netural. I also read that a chipped first gear could also make some noise in first and it is quite common for these cars. Im not sure if i need a used transmission and have them reuse the conversion kit or should I just replace the flywheel and clutch with a dmf. please help.

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA

Does it make the noise as long as you are in first gear during acceleration? If so, you have a chipped 1st gear.

A lightweight SMF can cause chatter at idle and when accelerating at very low RPM's (below 2,000). After that it goes away. The Valeo kit is not a lightweight SMF. It weighs close to the same as the OEM flywheel.

I have been running the Valeo kit for several years and over 60K miles. No chatter whatsoever.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L mixed flow turbo / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla Exhaust / Eibach ProKit Springs / Koni Yellows / H-Sport Sway Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

Established Member Two Rings Zingrox's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A4 currently being built

Is it like a deep metal rattle or a lighter sound? And does it sound like it's from the tranny tunnel or can't you tell?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Yes makes noise throughout first gear any rpm.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

It's a medium rattling sound that gets louder as the rpm gets higher.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Audi A4 1.8TQ, 5-Spd

The Valeo kit is not a lightweight SMF. It weighs close to the same as the OEM flywheel.

I have been running the Valeo kit for several years and over 60K miles. No chatter whatsoever.
    My experience with my Valeo SMF conversion is the same as OG and in fact I chose it because of his recommendation. You may have a damaged 1st gear.
    It's mind over matter. But if you don't have a mind, it really doesn't matter.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

UPDATE:

I got my transmission changed out with a used transmission. The mechanic I took it to was willing to do the work but offered no warranty since it is a used transmission. The only problem is that they didn't check the transmission fluid and there was none in the transmission when they gave it back to me. When I drove it home there was no noise in first anymore but a whining noise in 2nd and 3rd. I was going to take it back to them but it was late that day when I picked it up, and there was no warranty so I thought they would just shrug their shoulders anyways. I did some research and somewhere I read that low oil could be the reason for the whining noise. So that night I bought some mt-90 gl4 from amazon next day delivery and had the oil changed on Wednesday from another mechanic that was closer to my house. He called me and said that no oil was coming out when he went to drain it but was able to fill it. Since then there is no noise at all in any gear and no whining sound. Hopefully I didn't damage my transmission to much by driving it home without any oil in there. I drove it for about 10 to 15 miles without oil.

Veteran Member Four Rings Nollywood's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 Avant 420-R, Toyota Runx 1.4 16V

Glad you got it all fixed.

One thing though - I wouldn’t use that mechanic for any further work. Most shops would do an oil refresh, at the very least, they would check the level, and top it up as required. They gave you back the car with a bone dry transmission?

What a scumbag, and a horseshit shop.
    2003 B6 Audi A4 Avant Quattro Sport | 3.0 V6 | 6MT | Denim Blue Pearl | B6 S4 “Black Optik” Grille | Votex Kit | Black Leather - Part Out.

2012 B7 Seat Exeo ST Sport Tech | 2.0 TDI 170 | 6MT | Phantom Black Pearl | LED DRL’s | Bi-Xenons | AFS | LED Tails | LED RNS-E | AUX / iPod Input | Black Leather | Multi-Function Steering Wheel | Rear PDC.

2002 Toyota Runx |1.4L DOHC 16V Auto.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Nollywood View Post
    Glad you got it all fixed.

One thing though - I wouldn’t use that mechanic for any further work. Most shops would do an oil refresh, at the very least, they would check the level, and top it up as required. They gave you back the car with a bone dry transmission?

What a scumbag, and a horseshit shop.
    yeah, that's unconscionable
    WTB: B6 Ultrasport Avant 6-sp

2007 RS4 Sprint/Ebony, Ti, 113k
    UM tuned/JHM/BC Racing/Milltek/oCarbon

RIP 2002 A4 2.0TQM Denim/Ebony, 243k
    FWD->AWD, Bische-tuned GT2871R

Veteran Member Four Rings AudiA4_20T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    10speed

You're in San Francisco? Let me know if you need help we can run to the junkyard and get you set up with another one.
    - Clint

Current: 05 B5.5 Passat 4motion 1.8T - Jfonz Tune, 034 HFC, Samco TIP waiting to go on: GTRS, 034 FMIC, 630cc Injectors, Bilstein / H&R Suspension
    Totaled: 04 DG B6 Cabby 1.8T - stock forever
    Gone: White '04 S4 2.7T - Stage 2+
    Gone : Fastest B6 A4 ever - 464awhp/12.1@116
    Gone : 05 DG B7 2.0TQ - Stage 1

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AudiA4_20T View Post
    You're in San Francisco? Let me know if you need help we can run to the junkyard and get you set up with another one.
    Thanks

Registered Member Four Rings EuroxS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Atlas Grey A4 Avant 1.8T 6speed manual quattro,2002 GSXR 600

If your mechanic didnt check if there was fluid in a used trans hes not a mechanic just a fucking butcher.
    VW/Audi Immobilizer removal and immobilizer adapting solutions for any and all VAG Vehicles,Odometer matching, SKC/Pin retrieval services.Located in Northern NJ.For inquries pm for details.

Veteran Member Four Rings Spike00513's Avatar
    AZ Member #

This transmission pumps lubricating fluid by being in gear when driven, and having about 3.5L of fluid when measured at level.
    Probably including keeping gears lubricated inside, as well as bearings.

Might be hard to do that without oil.

There have been reported cases of chipped 1st gear tooth, or pitting on it's surface, resulting in a whirring noise. That increases with speed, as the gear spins faster.
    Or also maybe bearing issues.

IDK if a Fluidampr up front would dampen the SMF, but I don't think and SMF would do that.
    Though if the car has no bellypans and is next to a wall (or garage door) idling, you might hear some chatter.
    but these sounds are noticeably different (slight chatter vs. chipped 1st gear)