Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Noise if 1st gear after smf conversion kit

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello I just bought an 2004 audi a4 ultrasport 6 speed and there is a rattling noise in first gear. But in any other gear there is no noise. Also the clutch has just recently been changed they replaced the dmf for a smf conversion kit from valeo. The new clutch feels fine and shifts really good. I did some research and im not sure if it is the new clutch or the a chipped first gear is making the noise. I read that the smf can make some noise but mostly in netural. I also read that a chipped first gear could also make some noise in first and it is quite common for these cars. Im not sure if i need a used transmission and have them reuse the conversion kit or should I just replace the flywheel and clutch with a dmf. please help.

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA
    Items for Sale

Does it make the noise as long as you are in first gear during acceleration? If so, you have a chipped 1st gear.

A lightweight SMF can cause chatter at idle and when accelerating at very low RPM's (below 2,000). After that it goes away. The Valeo kit is not a lightweight SMF. It weighs close to the same as the OEM flywheel.

I have been running the Valeo kit for several years and over 60K miles. No chatter whatsoever.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L mixed flow turbo / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla Exhaust / Eibach ProKit Springs / Koni Yellows / H-Sport Sway Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

Established Member Two Rings Zingrox's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A4 currently being built

Is it like a deep metal rattle or a lighter sound? And does it sound like it's from the tranny tunnel or can't you tell?

AZ Member #

Yes makes noise throughout first gear any rpm.

AZ Member #

It's a medium rattling sound that gets louder as the rpm gets higher.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Audi A4 1.8TQ, 5-Spd

The Valeo kit is not a lightweight SMF. It weighs close to the same as the OEM flywheel.

I have been running the Valeo kit for several years and over 60K miles. No chatter whatsoever.
    My experience with my Valeo SMF conversion is the same as OG and in fact I chose it because of his recommendation. You may have a damaged 1st gear.
    It's mind over matter. But if you don't have a mind, it really doesn't matter.