Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Bumpo411's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Question Windshield Replacement

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My wonderful car that never seems to break down, now needs a new front windshield . A crack has appeared, that goes all the way across the passenger side and is definitely not repairable, which leads me to a few questions that I have...
    Would I be able to use a used windshield off of a car from a junkyard? (if there's no cracks or imperfections of course)
    Any idea how much it'd roughly cost to go new OEM windshield? (I can get it at wholesale cost)
    How are aftermarket windshields?

My deductible, if I were to go through insurance, would be $500 so I'm hoping that I can do this for under $500.

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA

You should be able to get something for well under $500. Closer to $200.

Steer clear of PPG. Clicky click® Sekurit is a really good choice.
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L mixed flow turbo / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla Exhaust / Eibach ProKit Springs / Koni Yellows / H-Sport Sway Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

Veteran Member Four Rings Timtheguru's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Easily doable under $500.
    2001.5 S4 Sedan
    2002 A4 Avant 1.8t - Traded in
    2001.5 A4 1.8t - In storage rotting away providing homes for rodents
    2013 Q7 TDI

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Should barely touch 400 for quality glass replacement, possibly oem.

Senior Member Four Rings Kevin C's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1987 Dodge Raider G54B Turbo

"Thank you for your recent quote request with Cascade Auto Glass. Below is the vehicle information that you provided. Please review this information for accuracy. Also, please feel free to call us @ 800-320-5358 if you have any questions or there is anything we can do to help.

Service Zip Code: 97211

Quote Number: 32xxxx
    Vehicle Information: 2003 AUDI A4 4 Door Sedan

Glass Quoted: Windshield (Solar)
    Cascade Auto Glass uses OEM (Original Equipment Manufactured) quality windshields.
    Our installations are covered by our nationwide warranty for as long as you own your vehicle.

Please Note: If you carry full coverage insurance on this vehicle, your windshield is covered under the comprehensive portion of your policy. We may even be able to pay portion, if not all of, of your deductible, depending on the laws in your state (please call for details). We work with all insurance companies and will assist you in filing the claim.

We can replace the windshield detailed above* for $350.39. (plus applicable sales tax) "

Quote I just got.... My windshield just cracked after a solid rock hit.
    03 A4 Quattro, 1.8T, 02X six speed conversion/ GJW (4.11 final drive). RS4 RSB, H&R FSB.

Veteran Member Four Rings SJorge3442's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Stay away from PGW windshields too. I have a crazy distortion around the basically whole border of my glass. I am not happy about it.
    2003 3.0 6 Speed - Quattro. 151k.

Veteran Member Four Rings fR3ZNO's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Ditto on being able to do this for under $500. A few years ago I had a windshield replaced out of pocket on my B5 and it was $200~ all said and done. They didn’t use OEM glass but I was a broke college kid at the time so I didn’t care.

My dad went to safelite for his B7 Passat recently through his insurance and they assured him they’d use OEM glass, but the brand on the glass says Fu Yong or something obviously not OEM

So do your best to insist on OEM glass because all the aftermarket stuff seems more prone to rock chips and subsequent cracks...
    "If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." - Ferdinand Porsche

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03 A4 3.0 6MT

I've had windshields replaced by safelite. I think the glass cost to them, because the buy 10,000 at a time, is probably under $10?

For my Audi I always ask for the Sekurit glass (OEM). It costs more to get the four rings embossed on the Sekurit glass, though.

If the installer does a crap job or the glass looks too distorted after install, they will replace for free. Nowadays I take a peek at the glass before they install it; if it looks too wavy I'll just tell them to bring another piece of glass next time.

I had several of mine paid through insurance, and they did try installing ppg or some other non-oem glass on occasion. After I complained they put in the four rings glass zero deductible.

Call around for pricing; you should be able to get sekurit glass for $250 or so? If the installer shows up with 'something better than oem' send them back home!

Veteran Member Four Rings EuroxS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Atlas Grey A4 Avant 1.8T 6speed manual quattro,2002 GSXR 600

Sekurit as well as Pilkington is oem audi glass.I had a pilkington windshield installed in NJ for $200.I avoid safelite at all costs.At least in my area they got some real amateurs working there in NJ.
    VW/Audi Immobilizer removal and immobilizer adapting solutions for any and all VAG Vehicles,Odometer matching, SKC/Pin retrieval services.Located in Northern NJ.For inquries pm for details.

Veteran Member Four Rings Spike00513's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Well, there *are* junkyards that sell windshield glass, though IDK what price and I never tried it.
    Hopefully they're in good condition and OEM, I suppose. Well taken care of without things like chips or lots of little scratches from being peppered over the years.
    And as for junkyards that have cars in general vs. specializing in glass only, maybe some of the cars have intact glass if they didn't end up totaled from hitting a deer there or whatever.
    In which case, IDK if it's possible to remove that, or how much it is. Such as if you use a wire rope razor blade thing, to saw/cut it out. But that's time-consuming labor.

IDK if the glass formulations vary, and if anything changed over the years.

I think windshields are safety glass, meaning 2 layers with some sort of glue sandwiched in between, that also blocks UV rays to protect the driver from sunburn, but not necessarily bright lights and glare.
    So a clear one might not cool the interior much, vs. solar

not to mention the side tempered glass windows and whether they're tinted or not, and what type/quality of film.

I think some people have had squeaking with some certain windshield companies, and ended up installing an Ultra Racing strut brace to stiffen the front end a bit, to prevent movement and squeaking. I'm not sure when this would occur, if it's over joints/transitions that put the car at unusual angles, such as driveway curbs.
    IDK if this is useless on some B6's such as sport ones, which already have that extra stock strut brace (metal bar) hidden behind the second "false firewall" (seems to make battery removal a bit harder)

I heard there's also a choice in windshield sealant; that there's a good one slightly more expensive that you have to request, otherwise they won't use it to make money off the customer.
    Because if the customer is ignorant and doesn't know about it, maybe they'll charge them a standard rate while giving them the crappiest parts.
    They don't expect you to know your engine code or "care about that stuff" like the average person. You already know what Sekurit St. Gobain is, it's too late.

Veteran Member Three Rings agentsmith988's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm about to schedule a windshield replacement for my cracked Sekurit glass and had a question... Does anyone else have this mark near the top of the driver side of their St. Gobain/Sekurit glass? It catches my eye once in awhile and bugs me... I usually only see this mark on the passenger side on other glass. Also, does anyone know if Sekurit or any other manufacturers make acoustic glass for the B6?

- Steve
    USP CLUB MEMBER #163

NKAWTG
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP | Motoza tuned F21L MF | Treadstone TR6 | 034 HFC | Bosch 550cc Injectors | 3" MAF | FT 3" TIP | FT HF Exhaust Manifold | Hyperboost DV | FSI Coils | BKR7EIX-11 | B7 A4 Brakes/HPS 5.0 | Bixenons Q5-R | B5 Perches | Podi EBG | A5 MFSW/A3 Airbag | B7 Console | Dynavin N7

Veteran Member Four Rings Gosser's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2005 A4, 1988 Buick Lesabre T-Type

Quote Originally Posted by agentsmith988 View Post
    I'm about to schedule a windshield replacement for my cracked Sekurit glass and had a question... Does anyone else have this mark near the top of the driver side of their St. Gobain/Sekurit glass? It catches my eye once in awhile and bugs me... I usually only see this mark on the passenger side on other glass. Also, does anyone know if Sekurit or any other manufacturers make acoustic glass for the B6?

I have that same mark on my glass. I also had mine installed for $210usd and they came to my house. But that was a side deal, they had electrical tape on their shirts covering up the name of a shop, which was clearly legible...
    2004 S4 MT - Summer
    2005 A4 3.0 AT - Wifes
    2004 A4 1.8 6MT - Winter
    2003 A4 1.8 CVT -> 5spd quttro swap!

Veteran Member Three Rings agentsmith988's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Gosser View Post
    I have that same mark on my glass. I also had mine installed for $210usd and they came to my house. But that was a side deal, they had electrical tape on their shirts covering up the name of a shop, which was clearly legible...
    Gotta love side deals! I just pay my $50 deductible and TechnaGlass or Safelite throws in whatever glass I tell them to. I like TechnaGlass because they have a 1 year no questions asked warranty that includes rock chips, cracks, etc. Much appreciated with all of the construction debris around here on the highways...

Guess that answers my question on the marking! So does anyone know if any manufacturers make an acoustic windshield for the B6? I'd like anything to help with road/wind noise.
    - Steve
    USP CLUB MEMBER #163

NKAWTG
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP | Motoza tuned F21L MF | Treadstone TR6 | 034 HFC | Bosch 550cc Injectors | 3" MAF | FT 3" TIP | FT HF Exhaust Manifold | Hyperboost DV | FSI Coils | BKR7EIX-11 | B7 A4 Brakes/HPS 5.0 | Bixenons Q5-R | B5 Perches | Podi EBG | A5 MFSW/A3 Airbag | B7 Console | Dynavin N7

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 Audi A4Q (B6) 3.0 6MT; 1999 Mustang Cobra; 2003 G35 Coupe 5AT

Quote Originally Posted by SJorge3442 View Post
    Stay away from PGW windshields too. I have a crazy distortion around the basically whole border of my glass. I am not happy about it.
    my windshield came sandblasted and with surface rusting at the top of the passenger side.

I really should have used it to drop the asking price..but the car was a 01e manual and we both knew it.

I got my windshield replaced in ~2009 with pgw (ppg) and it has been alright so far.