Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

2015 Convertible RS5 - Trunk does not stay latched - anyone else similar issue??

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys - new to the forums and looking for some ammo or at least suggestions to take to the dealer as this car is still under warranty.

Basically the trunk, intermittently, will not stay latched after I close it. Despite often being empty (definitely no obstructions), when I close the trunk it will latch and beep (if doors were already locked also), but then immediately unlatch itself. Sometimes I have to open and close several times to get it to stay latched.

Since of course I could not replicate the problem in front of my service tech, they don't want to do anything about it. They did say if I was able to take a video of the problem occurring, that would be acceptable enough of a reason to move forward with repairs, but of course every time I whip out my phone and hit record it works just fine.

Have any of you had a similar issue in a similar vehicle? If so please let me know, and if it was covered under warranty and/or how it was fixed.

Much appreciated any help!

Thanks,
    Mike

Senior Member Four Rings HazeMyth's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Sounds like it's likely an issue with the upper trunk latch assembly. If they break, it can either result in a trunk that won't close, or a trunk that can only be opened with the emergency release inside of the trunk. If it's a CPO warranty, CPO does not cover the upper trunk latch assembly or the installation that's apparently rated at 2 hours (takes 20-30 minutes).

My vehicle actually reported an error with the assembly when they ran a diagnostic, so even if you can't replicate it, maybe something is in the logs. Mine is a 2013 S5. Same upper trunk latch assembly as the RS5's.
    2013 Audi S5
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    2003 Evolution VIII (Cammed, etc)
    2004 Subaru STI - Stg. 2 (Sold)
    IG: @MrHazeMyth

AZ Member #

It is still under original 4/50 warranty. It will close, just only approximately half of the time on the first try. If it doesn't work on the first try, a few opens/closes does the trick

AZ Member #

My particular latch problem was electrical based, so that's why it reported a problem in the logs when diagnosed. Those latch assemblies are both mechanical and electrical, so being that it's intermittent I wouldn't be shocked if it was coming from a voltage issue with the assembly itself.

If you have VCDS you can run the diag yourself. Even under warranty, I think Audi will charge you a fee for running a diagnostic in the event a warrantied item doesn't show a problem in the log. That could just be specific to CPO warranty though.
    2013 Audi S5

AZ Member #

Yeah they said they would check the logs at the last 15k service, but didn't see anything

AZ Member #

Do you ever actually hear the latch engage when you close the trunk? I know you said you hear the beep from the security system, but do you hear the latch? It's very hard to hear it, so you have to listen closely. It makes a little click sound, albeit it very quietly.
    2013 Audi S5

AZ Member #

I believe so, and I definitely hear it unlatch, and see the trunk lid rise ever so slightly. At that point I can open again without touching the button.

Established Member Two Rings NVMarkus's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    SQ5

Is there a key in the trunk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established Member Two Rings NVMarkus's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    SQ5

Sorry sometimes it thinks the key is in there and won’t stay latched

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Haha definitely not, though usually in my pocket when I'm standing there

AZ Member #

I don't believe there's even a key hole on the B8.5's at all. That's why I was forced to open my trunk from inside using the emergency release when my upper latch assembly broke.
    2013 Audi S5

AZ Member #

Yeah no key hole and no trunk release button inside the convertible

AZ Member #

With the vert, is there even enough room to be able to climb through the back seats to access the trunk and use the emergency release lever? I'm a pretty average build, and I had a hell of a time trying to climb back there.
    2013 Audi S5

AZ Member #

No idea, haven't tried. Don't get me wrong the trunk works. It opens, it closes, it just sometimes, about half the time, when I close it, will pop back open, and make me try again either once or five times.

AZ Member #

I think I'd rather have the problem I had, where it won't even open. It was inconvenient, but at least I didn't have to worry about it opening. Mine just happened to break at the most inconvenient time... Christmas day. I went to put some stuff in the trunk, and nooooope, wouldn't even open anymore.
    2013 Audi S5

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Sorry, don't have a solution for you but this just started happening to my 09 S5 coupe a few months back. Only happens occasionally so I haven't bothered trying to fix it. I do think it has something to do with key being in close proximity, and the sensor being confused and "re-opening" it when you don't intend for it to. I'm going to see if I can replicate the problem on my own today and see if opening the trunk manually vs with the remote key makes a difference.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 RS5 Cab / 2015 Q7

Quote Originally Posted by Mikef1185 View Post
    No idea, haven't tried. Don't get me wrong the trunk works. It opens, it closes, it just sometimes, about half the time, when I close it, will pop back open, and make me try again either once or five times.
    Just curious, does the instrument panel indicate an open truck on the display (b/w the tach & spedo) when this happens? Have U had a chance to look when this issue occurs?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

7D14AA73-2952-465E-AB7B-4318912BFEC7.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikef1185 View Post
    Yeah no key hole and no trunk release button inside the convertible
    My 2014 has a key hole. Just above the license plate opposite the camera

Quote Originally Posted by HazeMyth View Post
    With the vert, is there even enough room to be able to climb through the back seats to access the trunk and use the emergency release lever? I'm a pretty average build, and I had a hell of a time trying to climb back there.
    There is no rear seat release inside the cabin, only in the trunk

AZ Member #

^ what year is that one? My 2013 coupe doesn't have a key hole at all for the trunk.
    2013 Audi S5

AZ Member #

2014 Cabrolet

AZ Member #

Maybe the cabs have a key slot since they don't have the ability to lower the rear seats from inside the cab?
    2013 Audi S5

AZ Member #

That is correct. I did read that somewhere (maybe my owners manual lol). The cab is not "secure" due to the top unlike a coupe, there is no internal seat release so items in the trunk a secure.