Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Parking Brake Adjustment

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I am hoping some people in the S4 world can help me with my 1999 A4 Quattro that I intend to run in the Gambler 500 this weekend (picture below).
    When I got the car (for $300), the parking brake would go about 90% of the way up, and then there would be some resistance.
    I lifted the car, which involved removing the lower a-arms on the rear, and i disconnected the parking brake from the caliper.
    After reinstalling the A-arm, the parking cable will no longer reach far enough out to install it onto the caliper.
    The cables are still very loose on the handle side (picture below).
    I found the adjuster on the cables, but it doesn't make a ton of sense to me how to properly adjust it in from the handle and out towards the rear.

Any advice would be GREATLY apprecaited, as we are T-30 hours from leaving, and I'd love to have my parking brakes work for the ~1,500 round trip journey.

4" lift front and rear on stock S4 rims. 2" spacers, steelies, and M/S tires are being mounted today.
    IMG_0536[1].jpg

Parking brake cables as seen from inside the car. The handle is in the down position in this picture.
    IMG_0535[1].jpg

Registered Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '01 S4 Tip '91 200 20VTQA, '01 A6 2.7TA, VW Rabbit GTI truck.

Wish I could help you but it's been years since I've looked at that apparatus. I'm thinking you're missing a key part that the ball on the end of the cable mates up with in there. If I have a chance this evening, I'll yank the console out of The Barbed Wire Special and take some pitchers.

On an unrelated note: We demand a full write up about the Gambler 500. OK, we respectfully request a full write up. That really sounds like fun. Wish we were there...

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by rdcyclist View Post
    Wish I could help you but it's been years since I've looked at that apparatus. I'm thinking you're missing a key part that the ball on the end of the cable mates up with in there. If I have a chance this evening, I'll yank the console out of The Barbed Wire Special and take some pitchers.

On an unrelated note: We demand a full write up about the Gambler 500. OK, we respectfully request a full write up. That really sounds like fun. Wish we were there...
    Needs quite a bit of work by tomorrow. Will definitely report back tho!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    15 VW GTI S-Very WHITE

This MAY help----

Registered Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '01 S4 Tip '91 200 20VTQA, '01 A6 2.7TA, VW Rabbit GTI truck.

Quote Originally Posted by LJS View Post
    This MAY help----
    Of course, RTFM... Good call LJS...

AZ Member #

Yup. Tried this. It doesn't fix all the issues we have :|
    I think the undercarriage is so beat up, the cables are stuck/extremely hard to move. May need to be replaced.