Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 22 2015
    AZ Member #
    316663
    My Garage
    997tt and a 2018 Bolt EV.
    Location
    Vancouver

    RS3 left exhaust valve rattle DIY fix

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Audi service is incapable of fixing an exhaust rattle in a car , with this painfully apparent after three trips there I decided to poke my head under and see myself what is impossible for them to diagnose and repair. It took me 5 seconds to locate the rattle (the flapper valve shaft ) and another 2 min to walk to my misc hardware drawer and slide a copper washer in between the top of the valve and the sprung loop that attaches to the electric actuator , one week in and no rattle at all.

    This is most likely a temporary fix Iím sure till Audi pulls their collective heads out of their square asses and issues a corrective order , Iím sure that will be any day now.
    Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Member Two Rings javbomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11 2013
    AZ Member #
    115001
    Location
    Sydney

    Quote Originally Posted by Micronaught View Post
    Audi service is incapable of fixing an exhaust rattle in a car , with this painfully apparent after three trips there I decided to poke my head under and see myself what is impossible for them to diagnose and repair. It took me 5 seconds to locate the rattle (the flapper valve shaft ) and another 2 min to walk to my misc hardware drawer and slide a copper washer in between the top of the valve and the sprung loop that attaches to the electric actuator , one week in and no rattle at all.

    This is most likely a temporary fix Iím sure till Audi pulls their collective heads out of their square asses and issues a corrective order , Iím sure that will be any day now.
    Step by step please!

    Which bolts on the top do we need to remove to get that valve off?

    I will do this. I was thinking a spring but a washer is just too good and easy to not try.
    ------------------------------------
    RS3 Sedan '17 | Daytona Grey | RS Performance Package 2 | RS Design Package | Black High Gloss | Carbon Engine Cover | Matrix LED | Sunroof | Full Tint

  3. #3
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 22 2015
    AZ Member #
    316663
    My Garage
    997tt and a 2018 Bolt EV.
    Location
    Vancouver

    Itís three 10 mm bolts holding down the actuator , but I found the easy way is cutting a v in the copper washer and pushing up on the bottom flapper shaft , it lifts a couple mm enough to tap the washer around the top shaft ... job done.

  4. #4
    Established Member Two Rings keninblaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 06 2016
    AZ Member #
    384766
    My Garage
    96 Porsche C4S
    Location
    Blaine, Wa

    Ironically, I just had the rear exhaust section replaced in my car to address this issue. When I drew my dealer's attention to the cold start buzzing while my car was in for the 10k mile servicing, they acknowledged it (I had to take car in the night before so they could witness the issue during cold start the next morning) and said that they couldn't order just the valve actuator separately and had to order the whole rear exhaust assembly. It came in a few weeks later and I had it installed 2 days ago. Problem seems to have gone away, at least for now. Will consider the above fix if it returns. Thanks to op for posting.
    2018 RS3 Florett Silver

  5. #5
    Established Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Nov 06 2017
    AZ Member #
    409460
    Location
    Vancouver

    It puzzles me why they left so much play to begin with. Either to allow for (a lot of) thermal expansion or maybe for soot build up. Kind of weird.

  6. #6
    Established Member Three Rings shivaswrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 21 2017
    AZ Member #
    407250
    Location
    NJ/CT

    So you just shove a what size washer on there? Sorry I need a little more to help. This is awesome if it works!! I sound like an idiot in comfort mode.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 RS3 | Xpel in the front & Feynlabs all around | WINCOS IR 30% F and 20% R | 245/35-19 Pirelli Sottozero Serie II for winters | I'm not modding this super amazing car so I'm going to list stupid $hit like RS3 All season mats and Blendmount for Escort Max

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Four Rings saxon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2012
    AZ Member #
    102339
    Location
    pa

    passenger side or drivers side?
    Current Ride- 2018 Audi RS3 Glacier White
    Unitronic stage??

    Past cars 2010 s4-2012 Nissan GT-R -2014 S6-2016 s3-2015 M3--2011 b8 s4

  8. #8
    Active Member Three Rings comingabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 03 2018
    AZ Member #
    418157
    Location
    SE (Durty Swamp)

    If you cannot figure out the side, based on the pic alone, you don't know much about cars.

    I do not have any noise in the rear. But, sometimes, I get a valve like tapping in the front (other vw cars have had a similar noise, wastegate actuator clip rattle), it goes away pretty quickly though.

    Have yet looked into it, but never long enough to get a chance to open the hood and locate where it comes from.

    Heard it in two other new RS3's prior to purchase, and R8 Tech says it is normal, so I never bothered. May look into it though.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Two Rings javbomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11 2013
    AZ Member #
    115001
    Location
    Sydney

    Rear left side...

    I might have a look at this today.

    Ive actually unplugged my valves and am really enjoying the added bass and sound.
    ------------------------------------
    RS3 Sedan '17 | Daytona Grey | RS Performance Package 2 | RS Design Package | Black High Gloss | Carbon Engine Cover | Matrix LED | Sunroof | Full Tint

  10. #10
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 22 2015
    AZ Member #
    316663
    My Garage
    997tt and a 2018 Bolt EV.
    Location
    Vancouver

    Drivers side valve seems to be the only noisy one for what ever reason. I had a few washers in my junk drawer, the one that worked was aprox 5 mm inside diameter and 1.5cm outside , cut and bent slightly . copper seemed reasonable because it has a low unlubricated coefficient of friction , that and thatís what I had on hand 🙃

    All this seems overly complicated for what effectively is. ďJam anything in itĒ I just watched a video from a BMW guy who has an even cooler idea that will work for us too ... havenít tried it yet but seems like an option

    https://youtu.be/fnDEnKAkdwU

  11. #11
    Veteran Member Three Rings andru1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 13 2007
    AZ Member #
    17244
    My Garage
    Audi 2018 RS3 2006 Evo IX MR
    Location
    West Chester PA

    Quote Originally Posted by Micronaught View Post
    Drivers side valve seems to be the only noisy one for what ever reason. I had a few washers in my junk drawer, the one that worked was aprox 5 mm inside diameter and 1.5cm outside , cut and bent slightly . copper seemed reasonable because it has a low unlubricated coefficient of friction , that and thatís what I had on hand 🙃

    All this seems overly complicated for what effectively is. ďJam anything in itĒ I just watched a video from a BMW guy who has an even cooler idea that will work for us too ... havenít tried it yet but seems like an option

    https://youtu.be/fnDEnKAkdwU
    Interesting video. Would be curious if adding a lot more tension puts to much stress on the motor that opens and closes the valves.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Two Rings javbomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11 2013
    AZ Member #
    115001
    Location
    Sydney

    I just did this to my car, its a little fiddly to get the spring back in, but I managed to do the whole lot in about 15 minutes. Completely worth it to be rid of this issue.

    I jacked the car up on that one side, and used a jack stand just to help. But the video outlines what you actually need to do very clearly and I can confirm our valve system is identical...

    Here is after about 2 mins...



    Here is the stretched spring. I actually had too much trouble getting this amount of stretch back in, so I pushed it back about 50% of the way between the pic above and where it is here, so as the video says aim for about 4mm, but personally I would do closer to 6 or 8 just to make sure you solve the problem...



    Here is the video from last year of the dreaded full blown rattle just for a reminder:



    And today, excuse the curious kid :)



    I can assure you the issue is 100% fixed. there is ZERO noise coming from the valves. Any noise that is there now is coming from upstream, probably wastegate, I couldnt care less, this is DRASTICALLY fixed by my book.

    Valve operates just as it did before, its instant and you can hear the valve opening and closing with zero difficulty, so I am not really worried about the little valve motor.

    I actually have my valves disconnected anyway in the past week or so because I prefer the added sound. But I really wanted to fix this issue anyway, and I am really glad I did.

    The small amount of raspiness you hear in the new video when I rev between modes is coming from the whole exhaust pipe upstream, so that's completely normal, and I confirmed the sound was coming out of both pipes, so that's definitely zero valve rattle.
    ------------------------------------
    RS3 Sedan '17 | Daytona Grey | RS Performance Package 2 | RS Design Package | Black High Gloss | Carbon Engine Cover | Matrix LED | Sunroof | Full Tint

  13. #13
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Nov 14 2006
    AZ Member #
    13383
    Location
    San Jose, Ca.

    Very nice! Thank you for documenting this fix.
    2018 Nardo Gray RS3, CC SW, IE intake, IMS FMIC, Milltek DP (open)

  14. #14
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 17 2018
    AZ Member #
    414183
    Location
    California

    Yes... thank you for the effort and explanation by both the OP Micronaught and Javbomb.

  15. #15
    Established Member Three Rings shivaswrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 21 2017
    AZ Member #
    407250
    Location
    NJ/CT

    Quote Originally Posted by javbomb View Post
    I just did this to my car, its a little fiddly to get the spring back in, but I managed to do the whole lot in about 15 minutes. Completely worth it to be rid of this issue.

    I jacked the car up on that one side, and used a jack stand just to help. But the video outlines what you actually need to do very clearly and I can confirm our valve system is identical...

    Here is after about 2 mins...



    Here is the stretched spring. I actually had too much trouble getting this amount of stretch back in, so I pushed it back about 50% of the way between the pic above and where it is here, so as the video says aim for about 4mm, but personally I would do closer to 6 or 8 just to make sure you solve the problem...



    Here is the video from last year of the dreaded full blown rattle just for a reminder:



    And today, excuse the curious kid :)



    I can assure you the issue is 100% fixed. there is ZERO noise coming from the valves. Any noise that is there now is coming from upstream, probably wastegate, I couldnt care less, this is DRASTICALLY fixed by my book.

    Valve operates just as it did before, its instant and you can hear the valve opening and closing with zero difficulty, so I am not really worried about the little valve motor.

    I actually have my valves disconnected anyway in the past week or so because I prefer the added sound. But I really wanted to fix this issue anyway, and I am really glad I did.

    The small amount of raspiness you hear in the new video when I rev between modes is coming from the whole exhaust pipe upstream, so that's completely normal, and I confirmed the sound was coming out of both pipes, so that's definitely zero valve rattle.
    Brilliant thanks!!!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 RS3 | Xpel in the front & Feynlabs all around | WINCOS IR 30% F and 20% R | 245/35-19 Pirelli Sottozero Serie II for winters | I'm not modding this super amazing car so I'm going to list stupid $hit like RS3 All season mats and Blendmount for Escort Max

  16. #16
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 22 2015
    AZ Member #
    316663
    My Garage
    997tt and a 2018 Bolt EV.
    Location
    Vancouver

    OCD owners rejoice in this DIY! 😂 big fuckoff rattle. Now letís see who gets the first TD1 for unauthorized modifications .lol

  17. #17
    Active Member Three Rings comingabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 03 2018
    AZ Member #
    418157
    Location
    SE (Durty Swamp)

    Wow, that noise woulda drove me nuts!!! No noise from my exhaust almost 1500 miles now, thank God.

    Quote Originally Posted by javbomb View Post

    Ive actually unplugged my valves and am really enjoying the added bass and sound.
    Any dash light(s) come on unplugged?

  18. #18
    Senior Member Two Rings javbomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11 2013
    AZ Member #
    115001
    Location
    Sydney

    Quote Originally Posted by comingabriel View Post
    Wow, that noise woulda drove me nuts!!! No noise from my exhaust almost 1500 miles now, thank God.



    Any dash light(s) come on unplugged?

    Nope. All good here. There are error codes when scanned though.

    I havent actually noticed any power drop if there is any, this is the second time Ive done this, the first time I thought I did notice a power drop, but now im not so sure, it feels the same, but the theatre of the exhaust is now a zillion times better and it makes MUCH better pops and bangs because the flaps are fully open when it does it between 2-3k rpm.

    All you gotta do to do it properly is order the valve termination plugs and then no error codes.
    ------------------------------------
    RS3 Sedan '17 | Daytona Grey | RS Performance Package 2 | RS Design Package | Black High Gloss | Carbon Engine Cover | Matrix LED | Sunroof | Full Tint

  19. #19
    Active Member Three Rings comingabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 03 2018
    AZ Member #
    418157
    Location
    SE (Durty Swamp)

    I am curious, I put in an AWE DP with the 200cell cat, on the stock Golf R and tune, and there was power, even with flaps fulltime open...
    How do I know? Because, when I took it off, it was slow as .... after.
    Slower in feeling than when I removed my JB4, and had the AWE turboback on a stock tune.
    Side note: JB4 is all I want with a quality DP, but not this crap stage 1+ tune.

    Wonder, how much more power would be had if a stock RS3 with a quality 200 cell cat DP would yeild, or how would it respond with flaps open always.

  20. #20
    Veteran Member Four Rings saxon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2012
    AZ Member #
    102339
    Location
    pa

    Quote Originally Posted by javbomb View Post
    Nope. All good here. There are error codes when scanned though.

    I havent actually noticed any power drop if there is any, this is the second time Ive done this, the first time I thought I did notice a power drop, but now im not so sure, it feels the same, but the theatre of the exhaust is now a zillion times better and it makes MUCH better pops and bangs because the flaps are fully open when it does it between 2-3k rpm.

    All you gotta do to do it properly is order the valve termination plugs and then no error codes.
    stock tune does drop power when unplugged FYI
    Current Ride- 2018 Audi RS3 Glacier White
    Unitronic stage??

    Past cars 2010 s4-2012 Nissan GT-R -2014 S6-2016 s3-2015 M3--2011 b8 s4

  21. #21
    Senior Member Two Rings javbomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11 2013
    AZ Member #
    115001
    Location
    Sydney

    Quote Originally Posted by saxon View Post
    stock tune does drop power when unplugged FYI
    Due to error codes pulling timing?

    Or due to no flaps itself?

    If we are referencing that german youtube video, I don't think they tested with valve termination plugs.
    ------------------------------------
    RS3 Sedan '17 | Daytona Grey | RS Performance Package 2 | RS Design Package | Black High Gloss | Carbon Engine Cover | Matrix LED | Sunroof | Full Tint

  22. #22
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 22 2015
    AZ Member #
    316663
    My Garage
    997tt and a 2018 Bolt EV.
    Location
    Vancouver

    I noticed the flaps closed on their own when I unplugged them today , and I Made sure they were open as I disconnected the . Would be easy to wire them open I guess , but I wasnít feeling the unregulated drone that active valves mitigate .

  23. #23
    Senior Member Two Rings javbomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11 2013
    AZ Member #
    115001
    Location
    Sydney

    Quote Originally Posted by Micronaught View Post
    I noticed the flaps closed on their own when I unplugged them today , and I Made sure they were open as I disconnected the . Would be easy to wire them open I guess , but I wasnít feeling the unregulated drone that active valves mitigate .
    Mine have definitely stayed open since I did it.

    I noticed a good time to unplug them to ensure they are both open, put the car in Dynamic mode but in P.

    When you go to D or S the flaps will close. I confirmed tghis by looking at the actuators themselves and they both were open, so we can also put to bed any theory that one of the valves is shut and the other is open until X amount of RPM. At least if you do it this way they are both fully open when you disconnect the plugs.

    Before that, I used to unplug them really quickly on a cold start, no need. Also if the car is in dynamic in P then I also noticed if you just turn off the engine, the flaps will stay open, so that probably works too.
    ------------------------------------
    RS3 Sedan '17 | Daytona Grey | RS Performance Package 2 | RS Design Package | Black High Gloss | Carbon Engine Cover | Matrix LED | Sunroof | Full Tint

  24. #24
    Established Member Two Rings seanix9's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 24 2017
    AZ Member #
    399966
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by javbomb View Post
    Due to error codes pulling timing?

    Or due to no flaps itself?

    If we are referencing that german youtube video, I don't think they tested with valve termination plugs.

    Hi,
    I disconnected the exhaust plugs on my PFL rs3 and noticed a loss in power. A few others have reported the same so I wasnít alone .. lol
    There is a fair bit of drone as well when doing this. But I must admit it sounded a lot better.

    You are probably just used to how ur car drives now, try reconnecting the plugs and see if u notice the difference.
    Current: 2018 Ara Blue RS3 Sedan
    Past: 2016 Glacier White RS3 SB

  25. #25
    Senior Member Two Rings javbomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11 2013
    AZ Member #
    115001
    Location
    Sydney

    Quote Originally Posted by seanix9 View Post
    Hi,
    I disconnected the exhaust plugs on my PFL rs3 and noticed a loss in power. A few others have reported the same so I wasnít alone .. lol
    There is a fair bit of drone as well when doing this. But I must admit it sounded a lot better.

    You are probably just used to how ur car drives now, try reconnecting the plugs and see if u notice the difference.
    Yeah that's why I don't think it was affecting my car, precisely because I immediately took it for a test drive and did launches. When I first did the mod I had thought I lost power but it was summer then and I'm now convinced I was experiencing heat soak. Now that it's colder my car feels just the same as before but now it sounds better.

    I like the noise.

    In any case, the termination plugs will probably solve any issue of the car pulling timing, which is possible due to logged error codes relating to the valves.
    ------------------------------------
    RS3 Sedan '17 | Daytona Grey | RS Performance Package 2 | RS Design Package | Black High Gloss | Carbon Engine Cover | Matrix LED | Sunroof | Full Tint

  26. #26
    Established Member Two Rings seanix9's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 24 2017
    AZ Member #
    399966
    Location
    Melbourne - Australia

    Quote Originally Posted by javbomb View Post
    Yeah that's why I don't think it was affecting my car, precisely because I immediately took it for a test drive and did launches. When I first did the mod I had thought I lost power but it was summer then and I'm now convinced I was experiencing heat soak. Now that it's colder my car feels just the same as before but now it sounds better.

    I like the noise.

    In any case, the termination plugs will probably solve any issue of the car pulling timing, which is possible due to logged error codes relating to the valves.
    Did u get the termination plugs? The ones from the UK?
    The supplier wasnít sure if they were compatible with the Au cars. They definitely donít work on the US cars I was advised.
    I did some resistance checks on the plugs but couldnít get any consistent read outs. Therefore the supplier couldnít confirm compatibility.
    Let me know if you are using them as I think I know the ones u are referring to.
    Cheers
    Current: 2018 Ara Blue RS3 Sedan
    Past: 2016 Glacier White RS3 SB

  27. #27
    Senior Member Two Rings javbomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11 2013
    AZ Member #
    115001
    Location
    Sydney

    Quote Originally Posted by seanix9 View Post
    Did u get the termination plugs? The ones from the UK?
    The supplier wasnít sure if they were compatible with the Au cars. They definitely donít work on the US cars I was advised.
    I did some resistance checks on the plugs but couldnít get any consistent read outs. Therefore the supplier couldnít confirm compatibility.
    Let me know if you are using them as I think I know the ones u are referring to.
    Cheers
    Haven't ordered yet, now I'm hesitant to ha
    ------------------------------------
    RS3 Sedan '17 | Daytona Grey | RS Performance Package 2 | RS Design Package | Black High Gloss | Carbon Engine Cover | Matrix LED | Sunroof | Full Tint

  28. #28
    Veteran Member Four Rings saxon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2012
    AZ Member #
    102339
    Location
    pa

    Quote Originally Posted by comingabriel View Post
    Do not listen to that.... about losing power.
    He vomits what others tell him.
    He could bot decipher which side that valve was on, from the 1st pic, tells you enough.
    I've asked you before and I'll ask again

    Don't talk about me, quote me or even mention me in any if your posts. BIPOLAR medicine works wonders
    Current Ride- 2018 Audi RS3 Glacier White
    Unitronic stage??

    Past cars 2010 s4-2012 Nissan GT-R -2014 S6-2016 s3-2015 M3--2011 b8 s4

  29. #29
    Veteran Member Four Rings saxon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2012
    AZ Member #
    102339
    Location
    pa

    Quote Originally Posted by javbomb View Post
    Due to error codes pulling timing?

    Or due to no flaps itself?

    If we are referencing that german youtube video, I don't think they tested with valve termination plugs.
    The car will have a soft code, I forget if it's timing or boost but I do know it will reduce power on the stock file .

    I'm unsure if tuners are removing this with their tunes
    Current Ride- 2018 Audi RS3 Glacier White
    Unitronic stage??

    Past cars 2010 s4-2012 Nissan GT-R -2014 S6-2016 s3-2015 M3--2011 b8 s4

  30. #30
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Nov 02 2017
    AZ Member #
    409300
    Location
    Irvine/CA

    Thanks for the detailed DIY.

    Do you know if the valve (flap) itself is "free floating" when left disconnected from the actuator? Or is it forced open or closed when left unattached to the actuator? The reason I'm asking is that if the valve is forced open when left unattached, then I can just take out that "spring attachment" and keep the actuator connected to the car so it thinks the valves are still functioning as intended while the actual valves are always open - a poor man's way of having the valves always open without throwing out any codes?

    Quote Originally Posted by javbomb View Post
    I just did this to my car, its a little fiddly to get the spring back in, but I managed to do the whole lot in about 15 minutes. Completely worth it to be rid of this issue.

    I jacked the car up on that one side, and used a jack stand just to help. But the video outlines what you actually need to do very clearly and I can confirm our valve system is identical...

    Here is after about 2 mins...



    Here is the stretched spring. I actually had too much trouble getting this amount of stretch back in, so I pushed it back about 50% of the way between the pic above and where it is here, so as the video says aim for about 4mm, but personally I would do closer to 6 or 8 just to make sure you solve the problem...



    Here is the video from last year of the dreaded full blown rattle just for a reminder:



    And today, excuse the curious kid :)



    I can assure you the issue is 100% fixed. there is ZERO noise coming from the valves. Any noise that is there now is coming from upstream, probably wastegate, I couldnt care less, this is DRASTICALLY fixed by my book.

    Valve operates just as it did before, its instant and you can hear the valve opening and closing with zero difficulty, so I am not really worried about the little valve motor.

    I actually have my valves disconnected anyway in the past week or so because I prefer the added sound. But I really wanted to fix this issue anyway, and I am really glad I did.

    The small amount of raspiness you hear in the new video when I rev between modes is coming from the whole exhaust pipe upstream, so that's completely normal, and I confirmed the sound was coming out of both pipes, so that's definitely zero valve rattle.
    2018 Audi S3 Premium Plus
    Navarra Blue Metallic/Magma Red - Technology, Dynamic, S Sport, Black Optic, Resonator Delete

  31. #31
    Senior Member Two Rings javbomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11 2013
    AZ Member #
    115001
    Location
    Sydney

    Quote Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
    Thanks for the detailed DIY.

    Do you know if the valve (flap) itself is "free floating" when left disconnected from the actuator? Or is it forced open or closed when left unattached to the actuator? The reason I'm asking is that if the valve is forced open when left unattached, then I can just take out that "spring attachment" and keep the actuator connected to the car so it thinks the valves are still functioning as intended while the actual valves are always open - a poor man's way of having the valves always open without throwing out any codes?
    It's very loose and free floating. You need the spring in there connected to the actuator.
    ------------------------------------
    RS3 Sedan '17 | Daytona Grey | RS Performance Package 2 | RS Design Package | Black High Gloss | Carbon Engine Cover | Matrix LED | Sunroof | Full Tint

  32. #32
    Veteran Member Four Rings saxon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2012
    AZ Member #
    102339
    Location
    pa

    Quote Originally Posted by javbomb View Post
    It's very loose and free floating. You need the spring in there connected to the actuator.
    you could always remove the spring and use safety wire to "tie" the valve open. this would allow the actuators to still be bolted in and connected for power etc
    Current Ride- 2018 Audi RS3 Glacier White
    Unitronic stage??

    Past cars 2010 s4-2012 Nissan GT-R -2014 S6-2016 s3-2015 M3--2011 b8 s4

  33. #33
    Senior Member Two Rings javbomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11 2013
    AZ Member #
    115001
    Location
    Sydney

    Quote Originally Posted by saxon View Post
    you could always remove the spring and use safety wire to "tie" the valve open. this would allow the actuators to still be bolted in and connected for power etc
    I feel like that will not put enough pressure on the valve and cause rattling in on itself.

    The reason my rattling is gone is because the pressure is far higher on the valve pushing downwards, when its not connected to the actuator its very light and there is a lot of play and movement.
    ------------------------------------
    RS3 Sedan '17 | Daytona Grey | RS Performance Package 2 | RS Design Package | Black High Gloss | Carbon Engine Cover | Matrix LED | Sunroof | Full Tint

  34. #34
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Nov 02 2017
    AZ Member #
    409300
    Location
    Irvine/CA

    Quote Originally Posted by saxon View Post
    you could always remove the spring and use safety wire to "tie" the valve open. this would allow the actuators to still be bolted in and connected for power etc
    This is actually a great idea. I may have to see if I can come up with something to "tie" it open.
    2018 Audi S3 Premium Plus
    Navarra Blue Metallic/Magma Red - Technology, Dynamic, S Sport, Black Optic, Resonator Delete

  35. #35
    Veteran Member Four Rings saxon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2012
    AZ Member #
    102339
    Location
    pa

    Quote Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
    This is actually a great idea. I may have to see if I can come up with something to "tie" it open.
    Use safety wire and lock it in correctly and I don't think the valve will move at all

    https://youtu.be/oXS8uv1QZQo
    Current Ride- 2018 Audi RS3 Glacier White
    Unitronic stage??

    Past cars 2010 s4-2012 Nissan GT-R -2014 S6-2016 s3-2015 M3--2011 b8 s4

  36. #36
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 01 2012
    AZ Member #
    99704
    Location
    Edmonton

    Quote Originally Posted by saxon View Post
    I've asked you before and I'll ask again

    Don't talk about me, quote me or even mention me in any if your posts. BIPOLAR medicine works wonders
    No kidding sure has a good stock of i know everything medicine though. It's a known fact that there is a power loss when valves are unplugged.
    2018 RS3 Panther Black

  37. #37
    Registered Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Jul 19 2018
    AZ Member #
    422702
    Location
    Aylmer, Quťbec

    New guy here...he he he,

    Last summer, when I took delivery of my RS3, I immediately notice the exhaust valve/flapper noise coming from the driver's side. Brought the car back to the dealer and they located the noise and informed me they would replace the exhaust under warranty - which as done a few months later in September. This solved the problem. With warmer temperatures in May (windows open) I could hear the rattle had come back (different side). This week I was due for my first service therefore asked them to look at it again. Told the service guy that if they wanted to replace my exhaust again I would make sure it has been modified since I had no confidence it would solve the problem on the long run. Guess what? What warrantied a full replacement last year is considered "normal" now. Service said: "we checked the Demo and it does the same thing so this is normal". Really?!? That's your scientific approach? Told the service guy if this is RS normal, I will go aftermarket as soon as I can. Someone was talking about Bipolar: the RS3 exhaust IS bipolar! Raspy Civic Rice on startup and in Comfort and glorious RS in Dynamic and fully warm exhaust.... Oh well....

  38. #38
    Veteran Member Four Rings saxon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 16 2012
    AZ Member #
    102339
    Location
    pa

    Quote Originally Posted by VR6Nikopol View Post
    New guy here...he he he,

    Last summer, when I took delivery of my RS3, I immediately notice the exhaust valve/flapper noise coming from the driver's side. Brought the car back to the dealer and they located the noise and informed me they would replace the exhaust under warranty - which as done a few months later in September. This solved the problem. With warmer temperatures in May (windows open) I could hear the rattle had come back (different side). This week I was due for my first service therefore asked them to look at it again. Told the service guy that if they wanted to replace my exhaust again I would make sure it has been modified since I had no confidence it would solve the problem on the long run. Guess what? What warrantied a full replacement last year is considered "normal" now. Service said: "we checked the Demo and it does the same thing so this is normal". Really?!? That's your scientific approach? Told the service guy if this is RS normal, I will go aftermarket as soon as I can. Someone was talking about Bipolar: the RS3 exhaust IS bipolar! Raspy Civic Rice on startup and in Comfort and glorious RS in Dynamic and fully warm exhaust.... Oh well....
    Do the mod shown above to the spring, that seems to be fixing the issue or at least making it better
    Current Ride- 2018 Audi RS3 Glacier White
    Unitronic stage??

    Past cars 2010 s4-2012 Nissan GT-R -2014 S6-2016 s3-2015 M3--2011 b8 s4

  39. #39
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Sep 05 2017
    AZ Member #
    406372
    Location
    NJ

    Quote Originally Posted by saxon View Post
    Use safety wire and lock it in correctly and I don't think the valve will move at all

    https://youtu.be/oXS8uv1QZQo
    Thanks for this. Now I've just watched over 2 hours of youtube videos on lockwire and want to use it on anything and everything. I find it mesmerizing.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.