Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Weird rear view issue and whining noises after stage 2

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    After upgrading to stage 2 I'm experiencing two strange occasional issues that seem to happen at the same time.

First is I am noticing the number of cars in my rear view mirror have increased substantially, and now include many sports and performance cars even when they are trying to go fast. Alongside that I am hearing a lot of what sounds like whining or crying noises when that happens (especially when passing high performance vehicles for some reason). I have noticed the other drivers sometimes have a thumb in the mouth (is that code for telling me what's wrong with my car?) and oftentimes they are in the fetal position as well.

Any idea what could be going on? Should I flash back to OEM to address these issues?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Atlas

Iíve heard that a dual pulley tuned Q5 passing a stage 2 Q5 causes similar noises.

Established Member Three Rings MSq5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bajan01 View Post
    Iíve heard that a dual pulley tuned Q5 passing a stage 2 Q5 causes similar noises.
    Ha ha! But only if it has added cooling capacity or hasn't clogged its exhaust from a blown cat. Otherwise the lower ratio pulley Stage 2 may prove quicker. No free ride. Pay to play.
    2017 Q5 3.0T S-Line | Brilliant Black | EPL Stage 2 93 octane tune | JHM 179mm crank pulley | aFe Pro 5R (part#10-10121) filter in "modified" stock air box | 034 silicone throttle body hose

AZ Member #

Ha! I'm actually getting my Fluidampr 183 and Merc Racing heat exchanger installed tomorrow. Can't wait.

AZ Member #

To be honest, I couldn't tell "too" much of a different going from Stage 1 to a DP/Stage2 set up with an APR CPS system...but then again I'm stuck with 91 octane. It feels quick, but there's some hesitation every now and again that's making me thing I should replace the plugs with a smaller gap and see if that makes a difference.
    2014 SQ5 - EPL Stage 2 / DP (183mm/58mm), APR CPS, 034 Motorsports Intake Tube, AFE Power air filter, KW HAS, 21x10.5 Vorsteiner 103s with 295/35 Conti DWS, RSQ5-style grille and bumper.
    2008 A5 3.2 - Coilovers, 20" ESM Type001 wheels, RS Grille

AZ Member #

I'm on 91 as well. Went straight to stage 2 as soon as I bought the car. We have very similar setups (EPL DP 183/57, KW HAS, 034 tube..). Getting my Fluidampr installed as we speak... but turns out my water pump is leaking so they're replacing that too. Hoping I'll be happy on 91 after today's upgrades.

Could your hesitation also be heat soak due to air trapped in the system perhaps?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Atlas

Weird rear view issue and whining noises after stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by stapan View Post
    Could your hesitation also be heat soak due to air trapped in the system perhaps?
    Iíd do some data logging and perhaps youíll see timing being pulled as you IAT rises. Iím running an EPL DP tune with AMS hx and I still see very high IATs on 4th gear pulls...plus timing pulled a bit on back to back runs. I started running about 20% E85 per full tank of 93 and that timing pull seems to have gone away. It wouldnít hurt to re-bleed your CPS either. When I installed my AMS it took a bit of time to bleed the system completely.

Veteran Member Four Rings SQive's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 R8 GT; 2016 SQ5; 2017 Q7

The APR system is self-bleeding.
    2012 R8 GT, Suzuka with carbon fiber (#298 of 333)
    2017 Q7 P+, Ink Blue, Pistachio Beige, Warm, Vision, Bose, Towing (wife's ride)
    2016 SQ5, Sepang, Black Optic, Technology, BBS CH-R Gold 20x10.5 with 295's
    -2014 SQ5, Monsoon, Sans pano, totaled by a Xanexed-out broad in a Denali XL

AZ Member #

You're right it does get marketed that way. But I remember reading somewhere on the S4 forum that its controversial and not necessarily true that its self bleeding replaces traditional proper bleeding.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Too funny, I have a DP S4 with APR CPS and a ported supercharger en route as we speak but I am still amazed how quick our 3.0T Q5 feels with just a 91 Octane EPL Stage 1. A very satisfying tune although I am not sure I can explain exactly why
    2011 S4 (Cdn Spec) premium, 6MT, Quartz, Eurocode SS, APR Dual Pulley Stage 2 & CPS, Carbonio intake & exhaust, face-lift flat bottom wheel, O-Carbon vent & MMI trim
    2013 Q5 3.0T S-line, EPL Stage 1 (the missus' car) 2007 RS4 (sold)

AZ Member #

Update - just got Fluidampr 183 and the Merc Racing heat exchanger installed today. Car feels amazing, tremendous difference in torque and IATs.

AZ Member #

According to the Torque app and Bluetooth ELM adapter, my Charge Air Cooler Temp (is that the right metric? Closest thing to IAT that torque shows available) never got above 138F even after a few WOT runs in 90F ambient. I tried to get it higher but couldn't. Very impressed by the Merc Racing h/x so far.

Established Member Three Rings MSq5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What is a typical 0-60, quarter mile ET and trap for Stage 2 single pulley and Stage 2 double pulley (above 3:1), assuming decent DA conditions and on pump gas (91 plus ethanol or 93 octane). This is for Q5/SQ5. Lots of drag strip data on the S4. Not so much for us, dragging around 300-350 extra pounds or so.
    2017 Q5 3.0T S-Line | Brilliant Black | EPL Stage 2 93 octane tune | JHM 179mm crank pulley | aFe Pro 5R (part#10-10121) filter in "modified" stock air box | 034 silicone throttle body hose