Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

After market air bags on Allroad?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Can I use after market bags like airlift with my stock tank and lines and maybe controls? I知 trying to go low? Also does anyone know how low the stock air ride can go? I.e if I 402ed it and drop it 40mm just for shows and I can put it in 1 when I知 parked, but then in 3 or 4 when I知 driving? Trying to go as budget as possible!

Senior Member Two Rings ShelbyM3's Avatar
    AZ Member #

#becausebags has a setup out there. I looked into it, but it didn稚 get much positive support. Keeps all factory stuff just different bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

The main point to the basic becausebags kit I believe is that it bolts on to an allroad without changing other parts so that's the go to one other than some complaints I think about the shocks, there's a thread on it with a discussion.

The a6 airlift setup also works however hardware changes are like required to make it physically bolt in. Also you are still dealing with the 1" lift of the allroad so you would not go as low unless you swapped all related parts out. It could also mean you bottom out sooner since they are much shorter shocks, adjustable but shorter as far as I'm aware.

From there In theory the stock controls could still work. I plan to test it (with the airlift). But you'll likely run into the first issue being sensors our of range that can be dealt with via custom links or mounting for the level sensors. The second issue not so easy would be how it handles a difference in pressure, since it regularly checks bag pressure, between the two different style bags. Since the because bags system seem to work it should in theory work with something like the airlift. But most people who went airlift changed the management as well as far as I can tell.

About 402 mod to way low.. no not really as the car won't maintain all levels once it hit certain speeds and you'd risk it dropping to 1 at high speeds. Also that low can cause the previously mentioned out of range faults. And if you get too wacky or too far out of range it can be a bear to get it all calibrated again.

AZ Member #

sometimes you mess up your post about messing up and just need to go to a real computer...

AZ Member #

Wanted to added since it got little traction in the last thread about modifying the stock stuff but I plan to install my modified 8valve block shortly and test it:

I ideally want to keep the stock control system electronically but will run dual pumps*, dual tanks, and a modified valve body like this but with the a6 airlift setup. I have already removed my body spacers, installed the relevant A6 suspension parts (I don't recommend this while still using the stock ar shocks/bags).

If you want to go low for parking at shows I would just install some means to dump the bags while parked and not do any tricks with the system that could be detrimental to how the car works while driving.

*I took a part whatever the largest viair clone I could find was and a spare stock pump and measured, stroke and bore on the stock pump has a much larger displacement. So unless the viair clone was smaller than the real ones and operates at a much higher rpm the stock pump has a higher cfm. My worn one was also subjectively quieter than the viair clone. Tentatively my plan is dual stocks but I am going to setup a test using a pressure switch to cut off the pumps at the same pressure and time how long each one takes to fill a tank to X pressure.
    80 rabbit pickup, 98 TJ 4bt cummins, 00 180TTQ 6spd, 02 Freelander, 03 Allroad 2.7t 6spd swap now with K04s, 06 A3 2.0T w/GT3071R (2012 JSW TDI and 2015 GSW TDI now in TDI purgatory )