Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings RacerJo89's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Can assembly lube change the color of your oil?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I need help determining why my engine oil has turned green. Iíve talked to a few members and got their helpful/respected opinions on what may be going on. Maybe someone can chime in if something similar has happened?

Backstory:

My motor was built by a trusted member of the Audi community who works at a reputable shop. I had rods and bearings put in, polished crank, cylinder walls honed, rings, etc. I used Valvoline non detergent 30w oil for first startup. Changed oil after motor got up to temp. Came out clean. Put more Valvoline 30w oil in and drove for first 50 miles with that. Oil came out clean again. I have a magnetic oil drain plug which had some fine particles on there but nothing alarming or out of the norm I was told. Changed to Valvoline conventional 5w-30 after that. At about 200/250 miles I had my rear main seal fixed by the same shop. Oil/coolant was not touched nor was any dye used at all throughout any of this. I changed my oil this morning at the 400 mile mark (more Valvoline 5w-30 conventional) and thatís when I saw the all the green oil come out. Also noted about double the amount of fine metal particles on my magnetic oil drain plug. Unfortunately I didnít take any pictures of them. Still very fine though. Maybe indicative of problems? Not sure how long I should expect to see particles on there. I drove it for 7-8 miles with fresh oil and then drained it again hoping it would catch all the green oil and flush it out. I come to find out itís not going to be that easy. I started the car once more and only had it started for a few minutes after that to park it.

Some notes to consider:

- My first thought through all of this was that there is coolant in my oil. I now recall that I did notice on a few of my cold startups that there was a little bit of thin white smoke and very few sporadic misfires. I could count the misfires on one hand each time. Somewhat alarming but they were so few and didnít return again after the initial startup so I didnít think on it too much. On one of those occasions it had been raining all night and morning so I figured it was just condensation built up in the exhaust pipe. Car wasnít on for more than 2-3 minutes. Another time it was parked in the garage and after idling for a few minutes I noticed some more thin white smoke appear. Very faint, very thin. Neither the misfire or the thin white smoke has reappeared in the last 100 or so miles.

- I have an oil pressure gauge hooked up that reads 70psi on cold startup. Settles to 15-17 when car is completely up to temp. Gauge sensor is located directly across from OEM sensor at the site of the extra mythical bung.

- Mann oil filters always used

- Assembly lube was used during the build. What kind/brand? I do not know.

- The picture of the oil in the oil pan was the change at the 400 mile mark. The one when I knew something was seriously wrong.

- The pictures of the bottles are samples of the second oil change after the 7-8 mile run.

- The two water bottle samples are the same. Different lighting.

- My camera on my phone which was used for these pictures is horrible and has these tiny black speck all over the lens. Something to keep in mind when looking at the picture with the oil pan. IMG_3201.jpgIMG_3202.jpgIMG_3203.jpg

AZ Member #

I forgot to mention that I have only used the pink G-12/13 coolant. Never the green stuff.

AZ Member #

- Also, the coolant level has maybe went down only a few mmís since first startup. Still pretty much at the full line. I would think it would take a lot more coolant than that to turn all of my motor oil green?

- If I shake the water bottle, it does not foam.

Veteran Member Four Rings vavJETTAw36's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Send a sample out to Blackstone Lab.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/pay.php

And the above pic...genius
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like a bitch

Veteran Member Four Rings CELison's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Is there any oil in your coolant? Oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure so when their paths cross due to a bad HG, cracked head, ect, oil will go into your coolant. Check your head bolts to make sure they're all torqued down. Assembly lube will have all burned off already. Maybe excess fuel in the oil from rings not sealing up? What does it smell like?
    B5 S4- K24s, built bottom end, E85
    B8 S4- GIAC Stage 2
    150cc Chinese Scooter of Doom

AZ Member #

Coolant reservoir tank looks to be uncontaminated. Just pink coolant in there. I will check head bolts for reassurance. It smells kind of tangy and maybe a touch of sweet? I just asked a couple of people with better noses than me and they said it smelt like gasoline.

AZ Member #

Here is a picture of the bottom of the bottle. I just noticed it.

IMG_3206.jpg

AZ Member #

My guess is thatís gas in your oil. Some is normal during break in while the rings seat. Make sure you donít have an injector stuck open or something. You could be washing your cylinders down.

Senior Member Four Rings JustManson's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by vavJETTAw36 View Post
    Beahahaha!

To OP Iíve never seen that before myself.... canít help much, but CELison sounds like he might have narrowed that down for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Thanks everyone. Iím going to take out my coil packs and plugs and have a looksy. Probably a compression test too since Iím there already. I also have the oil test kit on its way. Iíll report back when I get some more information. If anyone else has anymore thoughts on this than please chime in!

AZ Member #

What rings did you use?
    B8 S4- GIAC Stage 2

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Why donít you have that ďtrustedĒ member of the community in his ďreputable ď shop diagnose it for you ?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by CELison View Post
    What rings did you use?

OEM Goetze rings

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Drehmoment View Post
    Why donít you have that ďtrustedĒ member of the community in his ďreputable ď shop diagnose it for you ?
    Iím getting to that point. Trying to figure this out myself if I can.

AZ Member #

Same here. Oil test will give you an answer. Fingers crossed, freshly built engines are nerve racking.
    B8 S4- GIAC Stage 2

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RacerJo89 View Post
    OEM Goetze rings
    Sorry, I donít believe the Goetze ones are OEM actually. Regardless, I used the Goetze ones.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

You might have a pooling injector but over the net it is extremely difficult to pin point a solution. Who tuned it ?
    I think the excessive metal shavings are a separate issue not related to the oil color

AZ Member #

If that is gasoline it would wash out the bearings, which can account for the extra shavings. That is worst case scenario, but a very credible one.

Not saying that is the case, but you should handle this sitiation delicately. In a nutshell, prepare for the worst case scenario and leave the blaming for later. Either someone or something is at fault, but does not even have to be human error at all. Could be faulty hardware that was out of the tuner's control (meaning failed hardware only after tune was complete), glitch in mapping (it happens), etc. Then from that, you have the situation you are in now. Just different perspectives (grasping in the air, but you get the point).

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Drehmoment View Post
    You might have a pooling injector but over the net it is extremely difficult to pin point a solution. Who tuned it ?
    I think the excessive metal shavings are a separate issue not related to the oil color
    Yea I hear you. Looking back at my message it kind of comes off like Iím begging for answers from other members. Not my intention. Blake is tuning it. We just have the base map on it right now. Been dealing with other smaller issues so we havenít been able to advance timing or really get into the tuning process.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Seerlah View Post
    If that is gasoline it would wash out the bearings, which can account for the extra shavings. That is worst case scenario, but a very credible one.

Not saying that is the case, but you should handle this sitiation delicately. In a nutshell, prepare for the worst case scenario and leave the blaming for later. Either someone or something is at fault, but does not even have to be human error at all. Could be faulty hardware that was out of the tuner's control (meaning failed hardware only after tune was complete), glitch in mapping (it happens), etc. Then from that, you have the situation you are in now. Just different perspectives (grasping in the air, but you get the point).
    I get what youíre saying. Thanks. Iím definitely not looking to shame anybody... shit happens. Hopefully I can just figure out what caused this in the first place.

AZ Member #

I'm interested in what happened too. This is education for me. Going through crap with my car is how I learned how to handle situations better. Been through a fair amount with my car.

AZ Member #

Updates:

Did a cold compression test and all cylinders came to 180/190 with just two or three cranks. VavJetta and I were skeptical on the numbers with the motor being stone cold. Initially when I was draining the green oil I was so panicked I didnít think to catch samples to send to the lab. I was sick of waiting with very little clues (I had drained and disposed of the only real clue I had (green oil)) so I decided I was going to chance it and get the car warm so I can do a compression test the right way. I changed oil again (literally less than .1 miles on this oil) to see if anything had settled in the oil and it came out fine. No gas smell either. Put new oil in again ($$$) and took it out for a hard 20 mile drive. Changed oil again after the drive and it looked good. Took samples of that oil for the lab to check out. Did a compression test just before changing this oil when I got back and yielded the following results:

Cylinder 1: 165
    Cylinder 2: 175
    Cylinder 3: 180
    Cylinder 4: 180
    Cylinder 5: 180
    Cylinder 6: 180

Whew. That was a big relief for me. I am now currently driving it for another 2-300 miles to see if the green monster comes back. Either way, the next oil change will be captured and sent out to the lab. Until those results come back the car will sit. After every drive I look under the oil cap to see what color the oil is. Iíll usually wipe it on a white piece of paper or towel to see what color it is just to be sure.

AZ Member #

I was talking to my dad about the situation and he thought that maybe the detergent in the conventional oil mixed with the rings breaking in/possible fuel getting by them while the rings seated could have attributed to the green oil? So many possible theories...very little info on this matter.

AZ Member #

Fuel trims looking goodIMG_3198.jpg

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by CELison View Post
    My guess is thatís gas in your oil. Some is normal during break in while the rings seat. Make sure you donít have an injector stuck open or something. You could be washing your cylinders down.
    After my 20 mile hard run before my compression test I looked at all the plug tips and they were all dry. Cylinders didnít look wet either so I think I can rule out a stuck open injector.

AZ Member #

Oil cap between 4th and 5th oil change. IMG_3209.jpg

AZ Member #

IMG_3228.JPGIMG_3229.JPG

Looking healthy

Veteran Member Four Rings zillarob's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2kS4, 84gli, 84caddy dsl

Id guess they just put a different oil in when they did the rear main.
    Some oil is green, I know Brad Penn is very green.
    There are only 2 things needed to make an Audi work properly - Duct tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't - Duct tape. If it doesnít move and it should - WD40.

Veteran Member Four Rings Alex1188's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by zillarob View Post
    Id guess they just put a different oil in when they did the rear main.
    Some oil is green, I know Brad Penn is very green.
    Liquimoly molygen also, used to check for leaks. UV dye in it.

AZ Member #

That was one of VavJETTAís first thoughts too (who has been immensely helpful by the way) but I talked to the shop who did the rear main and they said they didnít touch the oil nor used any dyes. 🤷🏻*♂️

AZ Member #

I could see a scenario where the guy I talked to was not involved with the rear main job so maybe he was just blowing smoke..

Veteran Member Four Rings zillarob's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2kS4, 84gli, 84caddy dsl

Quote Originally Posted by RacerJo89 View Post
    That was one of VavJETTAís first thoughts too (who has been immensely helpful by the way) but I talked to the shop who did the rear main and they said they didnít touch the oil nor used any dyes. 🤷🏻*♂️
    Rear main can prob be done without changing the oil, but I dont think I would want to.
    Coolant is in that thing and will get into the oil unless you drain it extremely well.
    Then you have to scrape the old gasket off and clean the surface. This surface is directly over a now gaping hole in the sump.

Why did you change it? Unlucky on install and leaking oil out the back? Coolant in oil?
    The gasket there separates (often pressurized) coolant from the (unpressurized) oil sump. If it leaks there, its going to be coolant into oil.
    There are only 2 things needed to make an Audi work properly - Duct tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't - Duct tape. If it doesnít move and it should - WD40.

AZ Member #

Can assembly lube change the color of your oil?

Quote Originally Posted by zillarob View Post
    Rear main can prob be done without changing the oil, but I dont think I would want to.
    Coolant is in that thing and will get into the oil unless you drain it extremely well.
    Then you have to scrape the old gasket off and clean the surface. This surface is directly over a now gaping hole in the sump.

Why did you change it? Unlucky on install and leaking oil out the back? Coolant in oil?
    The gasket there separates (often pressurized) coolant from the (unpressurized) oil sump. If it leaks there, its going to be coolant into oil.
    Unlucky install. I noticed it leaking after about 100 miles so I brought it back to the shop that built my motor (rods, rings, refresh, RMS, etc...) and they fixed it under warranty. Changed the oil a few hundred miles later and voila, green oil.
    Last edited by RacerJo89; 07-19-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

It sounds like they changed the oil to the oil with a dye in it to see if it would leak again.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Audizine mobile app

Veteran Member Three Rings s4andtls's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by travis_w View Post
    It sounds like they changed the oil to the oil with a dye in it to see if it would leak again.

This
    605.1 Mustang Dyno 560whp 30psi 100% meth

Veteran Member Four Rings vavJETTAw36's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by travis_w View Post

They stated they didnít touch the oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk