Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Three Rings mcbuck's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Jeep, a Mini, and a 328 cab

Dynamic Steering Question

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Audi USA View Post
    Good morning MC! There were 319 2013 Audi 4.2 Liter Quattro Coupe RS 5 Sedans manufactured for sale in the United States with the Daytona Gray Pearl Effect exterior color. 69 of those vehicles also come equipped with the Black Alcantara interior. It's also great to hear about your mileage accomplishment, I'm sure you've had many a great ride in that car. Let me know if there is anything else I can help out with, I am happy to assist as always.
    Maybe wrong thread to ask in, but I thought it might be a good place to start.

We have a debate in another thread regarding "dynamic steering" listed as part of the driver assist package with adaptive cruise on B8.5 RS5's. The question is - what is the difference between this and the steering on RS5s without adaptive cruise? I do not have adaptive cruise, but have selections in the MMI to set comfort, auto, or dynamic for "steering". Another member has the same options but for "dynamic steering". What gives?
    BUCK
    2013 RS5 Daytona Grey Pearl, X-pipe, 20% tint, Arc Audio/Alpine, interior/backup LED, 034 RSB, H&R sport, 10mm, V-FF 103, 285/30 DWS06, Girodisc, Hawk
    GONE - B7 A4 quatro, 2.0T, 6MT, 250K....dropped, tuned, and everything else

Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mcbuck View Post
    Maybe wrong thread to ask in, but I thought it might be a good place to start.

We have a debate in another thread regarding "dynamic steering" listed as part of the driver assist package with adaptive cruise on B8.5 RS5's. The question is - what is the difference between this and the steering on RS5s without adaptive cruise? I do not have adaptive cruise, but have selections in the MMI to set comfort, auto, or dynamic for "steering". Another member has the same options but for "dynamic steering". What gives?
    Hello,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! So you are correct, on the Driver Assist Package for the 2013 RS 5 includes Audi adaptive cruise control, Audi side assist and Audi dynamic steering. Audi dynamic steering changes the steering ratio based on the vehicle's speed in order to maintain optimum steering effort for the driver at all times. Essentially the steering is less sensitive at higher speeds and more direct at lower speeds to keep the steering effort as minimal as possible for the driver. The idea is to gain small efficiencies throughout all speeds to provide more responsive steering performance for the vehicle overall.

In the standard features for the RS 5 all vehicles are included with Audi Drive Select. This essentially lets you customize certain features on the engine/transmission, steering, sports differential, and adaptive cruise control depending on the situation. For example if you place the vehicle into dynamic mode, your engine will rev higher and feel more responsive, the sports differential will be more active, and the steering system will be more direct and sporty. The adjustments made to the steering using Audi drive select are designed to maximize your driving experience based on the type of driving you are performing. For example, Comfort mode is best suited for longer highway drives.

Hopefully this information helps, but if you're looking for more detailed information on the technology with the dynamic steering package there's an article and a quick video available here: https://www.audi-technology-portal.d...namic-steering. Let me know if you have any follow up questions!
    Vincenzo F.

Audi Social Community Manager

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Audi USA View Post
    Hello,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! So you are correct, on the Driver Assist Package for the 2013 RS 5 includes Audi adaptive cruise control, Audi side assist and Audi dynamic steering. Audi dynamic steering changes the steering ratio based on the vehicle's speed in order to maintain optimum steering effort for the driver at all times. Essentially the steering is less sensitive at higher speeds and more direct at lower speeds to keep the steering effort as minimal as possible for the driver. The idea is to gain small efficiencies throughout all speeds to provide more responsive steering performance for the vehicle overall.

In the standard features for the RS 5 all vehicles are included with Audi Drive Select. This essentially lets you customize certain features on the engine/transmission, steering, sports differential, and adaptive cruise control depending on the situation. For example if you place the vehicle into dynamic mode, your engine will rev higher and feel more responsive, the sports differential will be more active, and the steering system will be more direct and sporty. The adjustments made to the steering using Audi drive select are designed to maximize your driving experience based on the type of driving you are performing. For example, Comfort mode is best suited for longer highway drives.

Hopefully this information helps, but if you're looking for more detailed information on the technology with the dynamic steering package there's an article and a quick video available here: https://www.audi-technology-portal.d...namic-steering. Let me know if you have any follow up questions!
    Thanks for the prompt reply and the link (already read that, though). Just to make sure I have a clear understanding - dynamic steering constantly varies the ratio based on speed, while “electromechanical speed sensitive power steering” simply varies the amount of assist while the ratio remains constant? Dependent on the setting in ADS, of course.

Buck
    Sent from this little electronic gizmo
    BUCK
    2013 RS5 Daytona Grey Pearl, X-pipe, 20% tint, Arc Audio/Alpine, interior/backup LED, 034 RSB, H&R sport, 10mm, V-FF 103, 285/30 DWS06, Girodisc, Hawk

Audi Customer Experience Three Rings Audi USA's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mcbuck View Post
    Thanks for the prompt reply and the link (already read that, though). Just to make sure I have a clear understanding - dynamic steering constantly varies the ratio based on speed, while “electromechanical speed sensitive power steering” simply varies the amount of assist while the ratio remains constant? Dependent on the setting in ADS, of course.

Buck
    Hello Buck,

Yes that is essentially the difference. The Dynamic steering focuses more on your rate of speed to adapt the ratio to give you the best steering possible based on the driving scenario. Does that help clear things up at all?
    Vincenzo F.

Audi Social Community Manager

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Got it, thanks!

Buck
    BUCK