Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Is that the waste gate in that vid not sealing ? Does it seal normally and is fired open or the other way around ?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

The video I posted is a turbo with a loose wastegate flap. Itís not a VAG turbo in the vid but my K03 failed the same exact way. I have a video of mine but canít post it here for some reason. Itís more and more common now. Basically what happens is it tries to close but the defective flap wonít allow it to form a tight seal.

Senior Member Three Rings tloft4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

upload to youtube

Veteran Member Four Rings dalmation53's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B7

Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    Dalmation53 do you actually have any under-boost codes ? Or does it just feel like its not pulling ?

Actually underboost codes past 3k rpms and no power.

Sent from my G3313 using Audizine mobile app
    Ivan

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B7

Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
    Did you look to see if yours is broken?

Did you do a boost leak test?
    Boost leak test in a shop $120. A used turbo with 75k working $170 i think i rather go that route lol.

Ivan

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dalmation53 View Post
    Boost leak test in a shop $120. A used turbo with 75k working $170 i think i rather go that route lol.

Everything about the way you think about fixing cars is backwards.

Diag for boost leak test $120

Used turbo $170

Installing turbo and still having boost issues because it was the end tank of one of your intercoolers that split and not knowing because you skipped test number one.....priceless.

But you go ahead and keep throwing parts at your car. You do you bud. 😀

I think itís probably your turbo anyway but it would be nice if you actually followed the advice youíre given. 🤘If weíre both wrong thatís another $170 down the drain.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B7

Everything about the way you think about fixing cars is backwards.

Diag for boost leak test $120

Used turbo $170

Installing turbo and still having boost issues because it was the end tank of one of your intercoolers that split and not knowing because you skipped test number one.....priceless.

But you go ahead and keep throwing parts at your car. You do you bud.

I think itís probably your turbo anyway but it would be nice if you actually followed the advice youíre given. If weíre both wrong thatís another $170 down the drain.
    Why are you so concerned about money? Just let it be. You act like if you were the one spending it lol. It doesn't matter i know its the Turbo and i don't want to actually spend money on diagnosis and fixing it. It already had 170k on it. At this point i don't want it. I just wanna slap another low mile turbo on there and be done. I'll update once i put the other one in. But don't be so concerned about the money part. Seriously it's starting to annoy me. Not you just that part.

Ivan

AZ Member #

You also ďknewĒ it was the DV and N75 and it wasnít.

And youíre right. Iíll stop caring now. 😀 And it isnít all about you wasting money. Itís about you constantly asking for advice and not taking it and you constantly recommend that other members just replace parts without knowing why too.

Nobody here knows why something doesnít work without the right data and if youíre not willing to follow the advice people give, you should stop asking for it or youíre just wasting the time of everyone involved.

Does any of that make sense bud? Iím actually trying to help you be better at this. Iím not the best at it, I need help quite often but I at least try to give the info that the people who are trying to help me ask for. Lol.

From now on, I donít care. If the used turbo doesnít fix your problem, you should try a new wheel bearing. 😀😀

AZ Member #

..okay so for the betterment of all lets get back to DIY tech stuff that can help people.

Is a boost leak check something that can be done at home by a DIY guy ? or does it require more than a home mechanic would have ?
    2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #

..okay so for the betterment of all lets get back to DIY tech stuff that can help people.

Is a boost leak check something that can be done at home by a DIY guy ? or does it require more than a home mechanic would have ?
    You can make one easy. All you need is a PVC pipe cap the same size as your MAF with a hole in it, run a tire valve stem through the hole so you can run pressurized air through it and you need to make a cap for the PCV hose port on the manifold. Usually you can remove the hose section of an old PCV tube so you just have the clip end and block off the end of it with a rubber cap and clamp. Easy to make.

AZ Member #

You can make one easy. All you need is a PVC pipe cap the same size as your MAF with a hole in it, run a tire valve stem through the hole so you can run pressurized air through it and you need to make a cap for the PCV hose port on the manifold. Usually you can remove the hose section of an old PCV tube so you just have the clip end and block off the end of it with a rubber cap and clamp. Easy to make.
    so then are you just feeling/listening for air leaks ? or running it like a leakdown and watching a gauge ? also what kind of pressure are we talking ?
    2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #

so then are you just feeling/listening for air leaks ? or running it like a leakdown and watching a gauge ? also what kind of pressure are we talking ?
    You can install a gauge on the intake manifold cap if you want, or monitor your boost gauge if you have one installed. Or if youíre using a compressor to add air, buy a air nozzle that has a pressure gauge on it.

5 PSI will usually be enough. Maybe 10.

I usually just stick a piece of tube in my ear and start poking around listening for leaks. Or you could be fancy about it and buy an automotive stethoscope.

Veteran Member Four Rings canadianA4B7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts
    Items for Sale

You can install a gauge on the intake manifold cap if you want, or monitor your boost gauge if you have one installed. Or if youíre using a compressor to add air, buy a air nozzle that has a pressure gauge on it.

5 PSI will usually be enough. Maybe 10.

I usually just stick a piece of tube in my ear and start poking around listening for leaks. Or you could be fancy about it and buy an automotive stethoscope.
    Sometimes I use flour in my hand and put it near potential leaks if you see it blowing away itís an easy way to spot pin holes. I have a photo somewhere of a weld pin hole that was insanely hard to find. Used this odd ball method to find it. The size would alarm you and how much issue it caused was crazy.

Generally similar to boost is sufficient pressure. Most hardware stores carry a compressor fitting kit that contains a number of fittings and a gauge. If you grab a regulator you can make a simple system to quickly hook it up and dial in pressure to do this.

Not sure I saw anywhere but be sure to remove oil fill cap.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B7

You also ďknewĒ it was the DV and N75 and it wasnít.

And youíre right. Iíll stop caring now. And it isnít all about you wasting money. Itís about you constantly asking for advice and not taking it and you constantly recommend that other members just replace parts without knowing why too.

Nobody here knows why something doesnít work without the right data and if youíre not willing to follow the advice people give, you should stop asking for it or youíre just wasting the time of everyone involved.

Does any of that make sense bud? Iím actually trying to help you be better at this. Iím not the best at it, I need help quite often but I at least try to give the info that the people who are trying to help me ask for. Lol.

From now on, I donít care. If the used turbo doesnít fix your problem, you should try a new wheel bearing.
    I have no problem in you helping out. But when you start to get concerned about the money i spend on parts really grinds my gears. Just let me be. I'll find out the problem even if i have to spend a lot that part should not concern anybody. Again i don't mind you helping. Just stay away from me buying unnecessary parts because i can and want too.

Ivan

Senior Member Three Rings tloft4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by canadianA4B7 View Post
    Sometimes I use flour in my hand and put it near potential leaks if you see it blowing away itís an easy way to spot pin holes. I have a photo somewhere of a weld pin hole that was insanely hard to find. Used this odd ball method to find it. The size would alarm you and how much issue it caused was crazy.
    this or heavily soaped water (leaks will blow bubbles) is gonna be much better than a stethoscope. since they work off of vibrations, unless you are touching a rock solid piece with a strong leak, it wouldnt target much at all and would be easy to look over the trouble spot. *

*not a mechanic, just basic science

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

GL sourcing a good used turbo. check for shaft play or just have Canada rebuld you one

AZ Member #

Well im definitely gonna do the boost leak hookup just to learn that Skill
    Oh and my buddy and i are going to the wreckers Saturday to look for a tb. He needs the distraction.

2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B7

Quote Originally Posted by ahotboy15 View Post
    GL sourcing a good used turbo. check for shaft play or just have Canada rebuld you one
    Whyyyyy are you stillll hereeeee????? Whyyyy

Ivan

AZ Member #

misery loves company

AZ Member #

also dont cheap out and buy a boost gauge i know youll find a cheap one on ebay. and hook it up cause i know you know how to do stuff like that and take pics and show us how much better your cars runs instead of going limp like your d***

hahah

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tloft4 View Post
    this or heavily soaped water (leaks will blow bubbles) is gonna be much better than a stethoscope. since they work off of vibrations, unless you are touching a rock solid piece with a strong leak, it wouldnt target much at all and would be easy to look over the trouble spot. *

*not a mechanic, just basic science
    There are stethoscopes that have hose attachments for the end as well as the vibration end. Thatís the kind I like to use. If that isnít available I just stick a piece of rubber tube in my ear.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by dalmation53 View Post
    I have no problem in you helping out. But when you start to get concerned about the money i spend on parts really grinds my gears. Just let me be. I'll find out the problem even if i have to spend a lot that part should not concern anybody. Again i don't mind you helping. Just stay away from me buying unnecessary parts because i can and want too.

I was just under the assumption that you actually wanted to fix the problem. My mistake. 😀 Wonít happen again.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B7

I was just under the assumption that you actually wanted to fix the problem. My mistake. Wonít happen again.
    I do want to fix it. But a 75k good turbo sounds better then 170k failing turbo.

Ivan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12