Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings GeneriX's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 A4 Avant

Washington vehicle emissions

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys, Iím relocating to the Seattle area in the fall. My question is ...how are your emissions concerning swaps and mods? Anyone with the 2.7 swap have problems registering for plates? Any help
    Would be great.
    Last edited by GeneriX; 07-07-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Established Member Two Rings SoundEfx's Avatar
    AZ Member #

From my understanding, any car 1996 or newer simply has to be code less to pass.

Senior Member Three Rings egovreau's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002 VW Passat Wagon

I think you can have some codes, but if it triggers a CEL, then they'll fail you. And readiness needs to pass as well...so clearing codes immediately before getting tested won't work.

Fortunately, they don't do inspections or the tail pipe sensor...take that for what it is.

Veteran Member Four Rings bakedziti's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '77 MGB Roadster

In for more information. I'll be out in Seattle for an interview in a couple of weeks.

Maybe @JeriQo or @inNout can offer some insight, sorry you're the only members who I know are in that area.
    2011 A4 P+ QGM | Sport Package | 6MT | MMI | B&O
    GIAC (stage) | Eurocode HFC & Alu Kreuz | Stasis Exhaust | H&R RSB | DV+ | CR-15 | ECS Intercooler w/ Piping & Street Shield | P3

the egyptian prescription

Registered Member Four Rings Peter1.8t's Avatar
    AZ Member #

My friend has done it. As long as you donít have a CEL and all the emission readiness sensors pass, then your good to go. No physical check or sniffer test.

Senior Member Three Rings trayson's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    98 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2000 Jeep Wrangler (modded for rock crawling), 2005 Kawasaki ZX6R

The WA State Emissions program ends 12/31/19 so after that it's a Non Issue.

Before that, they'll plug a scanner into your OBD2 port and check for codes and readiness. If you don't have codes and if your car shows readiness, you'd golden. If you fail emissions, you can go to an "authorized emissions shop" (there's a lot) and spend $150 at that shop to supposedly diagnose/repair some of those pesky codes. Once you have spent the $150 at the certified shop, they'll be able to issue you a waiver that's good for 2 years and you can register your vehicle.

Obviously with emissions ending at the end of 2019, you'd only ever have to do the waiver process once. So WORST case scenario, you'll have to buy your way into a waiver for the first period @ $150 and then you're golden!!!
    2009 A6 Avant 3.0T (17" RS3 Reps, 19" Avant Garde M310's, S-line front seats, Premium Plus)
    2002 S6 Avant SOLD.
    1999 A6 Avant (19's, Tint, Grill, HID's) GONE.
    1998 M3 Cabriolet (Hardtop, Vaders, Dinan Stage 5, M50 Mani, Eisenmann Exhaust, UUC Pulley & SSK, Reiger Kit, 19" Axis Pentas)
    2013 F150 Ecoboost, 6" lift, 20" wheels, 35" tires
    2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636 (2 Bros Exhaust, PC3)

Established Member Two Rings altobeast's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    The WA State Emissions program ends 12/31/19 so after that it's a Non Issue.

Before that, they'll plug a scanner into your OBD2 port and check for codes and readiness. If you don't have codes and if your car shows readiness, you'd golden. If you fail emissions, you can go to an "authorized emissions shop" (there's a lot) and spend $150 at that shop to supposedly diagnose/repair some of those pesky codes. Once you have spent the $150 at the certified shop, they'll be able to issue you a waiver that's good for 2 years and you can register your vehicle.

Obviously with emissions ending at the end of 2019, you'd only ever have to do the waiver process once. So WORST case scenario, you'll have to buy your way into a waiver for the first period @ $150 and then you're golden!!!

The "authorized emissions shop" is the car equivalent to the "Glaucoma/Back Pain Doctor" here in WA back in the day hahahaha.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '77 MGB Roadster

Off topic, but is tint included in the inspection requirements?

NY implemented a law last year that requires sedans to have windows with at least 70% VLT, with the only exception being the rear window. I bought a set of clear windows to swap back and forth for my inspection from a salvage yard, but Iím curious if Iíll need to keep/move them?
    GIAC (stage) | Eurocode HFC & Alu Kreuz | Stasis Exhaust | H&R RSB | DV+ | CR-15 | ECS Intercooler w/ Piping & Street Shield | P3

Established Member Four Rings BeerBrent's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A4 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by bakedziti View Post
    Off topic, but is tint included in the inspection requirements?

NY implemented a law last year that requires sedans to have windows with at least 70% VLT, with the only exception being the rear window. I bought a set of clear windows to swap back and forth for my inspection from a salvage yard, but Iím curious if Iíll need to keep/move them?
    No, they dont check for tint. I've never had any issues with the tint on all my vehicles.
    I'm as cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '77 MGB Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrent View Post
    No, they dont check for tint. I've never had any issues with the tint on all my vehicles.
    Thank you!

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Had a motor swapped honda and they never batted an eye. No looks at boltons either. If it passed the obd scan its good.

Didn't know emissions were going away. Not sure how I never heard this.

Active Member Two Rings GeneriX's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 A4 Avant

If thatís the case, then Iím good. Still tossing around stage 3 Jhm kit on 2.0tsi motor or 2.7 swap. Decisions decisions.....Its for an 06 Audi A4 Avant.

AZ Member #

Anyone in the Vancouver/Portland area running catless with a test pipe on a b8 a4? Have been looking at 034 HFC but maybe save some $ with a test pipe. Some people say their car smells fine while others say they went back to HFC or stock as fumes were too much. Would love to meet up sometime to check one out in person.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I don't believe for a second that emissions testing will be allowed to expire. There's money to be made and I'm sure the legislature will find a way to renew testing and cash in.
    That is, I hope I am wrong but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Sent from my moto x4 using Audizine mobile app
    Below-40-F daily driver and kid hauler: '15 A4 6MT P+; Above-40-F commuter: '14 Kawi Ninja 1000; Wifey - '14 allroad;

Established Member Four Rings BeerBrent's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A4 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by pb_red View Post
    I don't believe for a second that emissions testing will be allowed to expire. There's money to be made and I'm sure the legislature will find a way to renew testing and cash in.

It's ending. This has been in the works for years. They would of squashed the idea of ending long ago if they were going to. Other states are ending it also. It's pointless with newer cars, and there aren't enough older cars still on the roads to make testing profitable for the states/counties.
    I'm as cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce.

AZ Member #

Washington makes 3.00 per car. I read it costs 4 million-ish annually and they make 5 million so not a huge money maker. I read the rest of the money is paid to the company running the test.

Federal standards made cars cleaner overall and emissions aren't as bad as they once were.

Senior Member Three Rings trayson's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    98 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2000 Jeep Wrangler (modded for rock crawling), 2005 Kawasaki ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by pb_red View Post

Then don't believe it. but it's happening.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2017/m...-tests-to-end/

In Vancouver, they already shut down one of the two testing centers. And I had an S6 that I was having a hard time getting to pass. The registration expired at the end of 2017. I went to a shop and got the waiver that was good for 2 years. My registration was set to expire mid-December 2019 (just two weeks before the program expires). I sent in a question and had a manager at the WA State Dept of Ecology call me back directly. I asked if I parked my car for 2 weeks and then renewed my registration on Jan 2, 2020 what would happen. He confirmed that if I renew on Jan 2, 2020 that there will be NO emissions program and it won't matter if I have a CEL or not, there will be nothing to do except go into the DOL and renew my tabs. (of course I wouldn't "park" my car for 2 weeks! LOL. I'd just drive for 2 weeks with a "technically" expired registration and laugh because my plates would still say I'm good through December). But I sold the C5 S6 and got a C6 A6 so it's a non-issue now.
    2009 A6 Avant 3.0T (17" RS3 Reps, 19" Avant Garde M310's, S-line front seats, Premium Plus)
    2002 S6 Avant SOLD.
    1999 A6 Avant (19's, Tint, Grill, HID's) GONE.
    1998 M3 Cabriolet (Hardtop, Vaders, Dinan Stage 5, M50 Mani, Eisenmann Exhaust, UUC Pulley & SSK, Reiger Kit, 19" Axis Pentas)
    2013 F150 Ecoboost, 6" lift, 20" wheels, 35" tires
    2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636 (2 Bros Exhaust, PC3)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by GeneriX View Post
    Hey guys, Iím relocating to the Seattle area in the fall. My question is ...how are your emissions concerning swaps and mods? Anyone with the 2.7 swap have problems registering for plates? Any help
    Would be great.
    Just get yourself a mailing address in Whatcom county (northern WA) and use it to register your car. Cheaper insurance and zero inspections of any kind.

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Wow. Didnít know the emissions really were going away. Thatís nice I suppose, even though Iíve yet to have a single issue passing. Theyíre so lax, if you pass readiness, you pass. Wouldnít matter if your car sounded like a cammed out Camaro. No sniffer either, even though test pipes are stupid.

In any event, it will be nice not having to make the trip to the emissions test every 2 years.

And since youíre moving, if you need a Washington drivers license, be absolutely sure to get an enhanced license.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic