Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

New to me A3 and Compressor problem

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello everyone. New to the community. I actually have only had my car a little over a week. I have a 3-series BMW also so Iím new to Audiís in general. I live in SoCal and it was 115į today. I was driving home on my 50mile commute and the AC started blowing hot. I got home and the plate in the front of the compressor had broken off. It looks like it broke where it was connected to the middle of the compressor where the shaft is. My question is can I just replace the compressor and charge the system. Iíve done allot to the BMW the last 15yrs but never AC other than charge with a can of AC Pro. Iím just not sure about emptying the system and filling again. I know the compressor swap itself would be no problem. Thank you for any info you can provide and thereís a lot to learn and Iím glad to be here.226D818D-C9CE-48B8-9B31-B18116719870.jpgC1E2868A-812D-413D-A6E8-91871B8C114B.jpg
    Last edited by Princefredo; 07-06-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Veteran Member Three Rings eyrah's Avatar
    AZ Member #

A lot of times the compressor can shred internally and throw metal fragments into the lines and condenser, but if the pulley/clutch just snapped you may be ok to just plug and play a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    - Pauly

2009 Audi A4 Quattro BB/B

AprTuned, Apr quad tip, CTS Testpipe, Eurocode HFIP, LED interior pkg, 15%/35% tint, Bi-xenon, VAG, AWE Custom valance, Customized Grill, RS6 Shift Knob, Aluminum Pedals, ST Coilovers, VMR 713

Build Thread

Active Member Two Rings absolutt's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '07 Audi A3 2.0T DSG 85k mi

Quote Originally Posted by eyrah View Post
    A lot of times the compressor can shred internally and throw metal fragments into the lines and condenser, but if the pulley/clutch just snapped you may be ok to just plug and play a new one.
    What year is your A3? Given what happened to the compressor, I expect it's not a recent model. If it's going on 8+ years old and is a California car that gets taxed by a hot climate, you may already be set for a new A/C compressor. But as eyrah pointed out, failure can cause fragments to be spread throughout the system. You'd need to have it fully flushed and checked for leaks.

Note that diagnosis of an A/C system (such as checking for leaks) brings a hefty charge right up front. Usually $100~$150 by a 3rd party shop, or $300 by Audi. Since you need a new compressor, I'd recommend a full system replace to include the condenser. Because if it turns out you need a new condenser, you'd have to have the system flushed and recharged again... which is about the cost of the condenser itself.
    Current ►► 2007 A3 2.0T DSG/OS/TP/CW/CP Ocean Blue óó Previous2003 TTQR 225hp Ocean Blue