Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

In need of some help with engine issue

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello all, it's been a while since I've used any type of forums so I apologize if I'm in the wrong area. I have an 05 S4 that I've been struggling with for about 3 months. The issues started out around the end of April, the car would leave me stranded randomly. It would crank and nothing would happen or I would turn the key and hear the fuel pump prime, but it would make a sort of knocking noise. I had no CEL but I decided to scan it anyway and found a pending code of P0322 Ignition Engine Speed Input Circuit No Signal. I started running through the diagnostic steps and found that I had around 11.5v at the battery and from what I've read, Audi does not like low voltage. I went and bought a new battery and the car started right up, drove to the gas station, filled the tank, and the car again wouldn't start. I ran the codes again and had the same P0322 come up. I got the car home and then went to Audi and ordered a crank position sensor. After a week of waiting I installed the pain in the ass sensor. After hooking up the battery, I turned the key and heard the fuel pump prime normal, go to start the car and again it just cranks and cranks. I checked the codes and the p0322 is gone but now I have codes P0201-P0208 injector circuit malfunction on every cylinder and now possibly from cranking the engine so much the starter just clicks. I'm beyond frustrated with this car and I could really use the help. I was talking to someone who said the sensor might need to be coded to the car? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Veteran Member Three Rings jr1415us's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Almost certainly the fuel pump. The pump on my S4 failed, same symptoms you report. The pump itself doesn't trigger a code directly. Change the fuel filter at the same time.

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I would start by checking fuel pressure before and after the filter. Very possibly a bad pump. Also could be a clogged charcoal canister. The pump sits on the passenger side under the rear seat. The charcoal canister sits under the spare tire well under the car. Always change your filter when doing a pump and don't cheap out. It has a built in pressure regulator.
    Does this happen more noticibly after refueling the car?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by VinnysS4 View Post
    I would start by checking fuel pressure before and after the filter. Very possibly a bad pump. Also could be a clogged charcoal canister. The pump sits on the passenger side under the rear seat. The charcoal canister sits under the spare tire well under the car. Always change your filter when doing a pump and don't cheap out. It has a built in pressure regulator.
    Does this happen more noticibly after refueling the car?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    It was very sporadic, but the most recent time was right after I filled the tank and I noticed a warning about accessing the pump with more than half a tank of fuel 🤣