Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Compass Alignment Method - Toe

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I was thinking to myself, couldn't you just use a digital compass (something with 0.1 deg resolution), to check and/or set the toe angles?

The first reference angle would would be the body of the car. For example, open the door and rest the compass on the painted area of the door sill. Or maybe even open the hood and put the compass on the face of the radiator. Those are two points which should be parallel (sill) or 90 deg (radiator) off of centerline.

Then rest the compass on the hub face (or wheel) The difference in those two angles should the toe value for the wheel.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

A pair of strings run against the tires is all I've ever used. Offset with blocks depending on which track is wider. Make sure you minimize bump steer as well. Once it's all where you want it, centering the wheel is done separately.