Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Anyone know the differences between the petrol and diesel 01E transmissions?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I need to source a new centre differential for my Allroad 2.7t 6 speed.
    Anyone know if i can just source a manual diesel transmission from an Allroad (they're much cheaper) and just swap the centre diffs over?

Had this infuriating knocking/vibration when the car is warm for so long now and have narrowed it down to the centre diff. Spent too much money on other shit that hasn't solved the problem so trying to reign in the spending now.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

There are a few different part numbers and versions for the 01e center diff but they should all be compatible with the exception of the ones with the low range (since youre asking about allroad) if they have that it might be slightly different but not sure.

What's the 6th gear ratio on these cheap boxes and are you willing to ship ;)

AZ Member #

Also the knocking/vibration is it under all conditions when warm? is it only when low speed tight turns? is it only when on the throttle low speed tight turns/other times?
    80 rabbit pickup, 98 TJ 4bt cummins, 00 180TTQ 6spd, 02 Freelander, 03 Allroad 2.7t 6spd swap now with K04s, 06 A3 2.0T w/GT3071R (2012 JSW TDI and 2015 GSW TDI now in TDI purgatory )

AZ Member #

Sorry made this little vid the other day so converted it to gif and wanted to post in relevant thread.

80 rabbit pickup, 98 TJ 4bt cummins, 00 180TTQ 6spd, 02 Freelander, 03 Allroad 2.7t 6spd swap now with K04s, 06 A3 2.0T w/GT3071R (2012 JSW TDI and 2015 GSW TDI now in TDI purgatory )

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Yeah on low speed tight turns theres a vibration through the whole car. Accelerating from a stop theres loud "thumps" through the car, which increases in frequency with the increase in road speed, although the thump is louder when initially taking off from a stop. Coming off the throttle does stop the noise, on tight turns and when driving.

I took the car out today and its hardly noticeable when cold but after I've been driving for about 20 minutes the thumping starts. I could even hear a metallic clunking coming from under the car today, at the same moments that I can feel the thumping from inside the car.

I feel like replacing the centre diff is my best option right now. Although I spoke to Audi today after I posted this thread and the parts guy said they sell the centre diffs as a kit for 220, which seems very reasonable considering their usual prices. Never touched a centre diff before so I'm unsure on whether building it up from parts it is a good idea. A reputable transmission place straight up refused to do it haha.

I was thinking a second hand diesel box from an a6 and just whip the centre diff off, but cheap might have been an overstatement, would probably set me back more than the price of a new diff an they're all pretty high mileage.

AZ Member #

That 220 doesn't seem right. That is like 1/8th the normal price for one. Are you sure that isn't bearings and some other parts? I don't believe Audi sells any rebuild parts for the diff itself.

the diff itself can be swapped out in minutes (once you have the exhaust/driveshaft out of the way) not sure why a trans shop would refuse to do a 1 for 1 swap.

Still a failed diff is not entirely common, have you confirmed your center bearing has not failed?

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Yeah I didn't believe him either but he went away and "checked" with someone else. He said it comes in parts so you have to build it yourself, 180 for the kit with all the gears and then 40 for the bearings, then he gave me a price for the housing but then said I wouldn't need that unless I've blown mine so he pretty much convinced me that that was the price.

Ive replaced the centre bearing, U joint, both CV's on the prop, both the front drive shafts and then rebuilt the rear drive shafts so I've ruled them out. Also replaced the engine and gearbox mounts.

The parts guy said he'd never sold a centre diff before and Im aware that these boxes are pretty sturdy. The cars only on 93,000 miles. Just cant see what else could transmit these symptoms.

Any idea whether the centre diff from a standard C5 A6 2.5 tdi would be sweet? Found a cheap box on ebay

AZ Member #

I'm really really curious what he was selling you. I'm not aware of Audi considering the diff a serviceable part and offering parts for it. I even logged into partslink and you can get the parts for the front and rear diffs (in theory they have part numbers now sure if available) but the center diff is a non serviceable unit.

You can get the bearings and shims, as well as the stuff to preload the output shaft but I don't see anything with the gears.

I'd be very worried they are looking at the rear or front diff parts.

Also 93k miles is VERY low for an actual torsen diff to have an issue. I had rebuilt a spare with about 175K on it and put it in my allroad, did the 4:1 shims at the same time. Sadly I do believe that diff was too worn and causing me some issues. I just swapped back in my other diff (in the gif) and it is flawless, I have no idea what the miles on it are though. Maybe Scotty from advance sees this and can chime in on his thoughts of an actual torsen needing to be rebuilt, but it isnt' a common thing as far as I have seen.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Ill have to ring them back tomorrow and double check, I couldn't find any parts or part numbers online for the centre diff so was surprised when he told me that.

Yeah the low mileage of the car is whats lead me down the CV joint path, can't work out what else could be causing those symptoms.

Veteran Member Four Rings PaperToast's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Quadzilla

what does the center drive shaft look like?
    the u-joint/center bearing are known to make noise/vibrations when they go
    Rockin' the Rockies
    '01 allroad, 234k woot woot, still boosting on original turbos and tippy, slightly more modified. . .

Scotty@Advanced, "Push it off a cliff, when it hits the ground you should have a few thousand horsepower available for a brief second."

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Centre drive shaft has been rebuilt. New bearing, U joint and CV's. As have the other drive shafts on the car.

The thumping felt on acceleration is almost similar in noise to clutch judder, really violent and felt through the whole car. Both the vibration on tight turns and the thumping are almost not apparent when the car is cold, leading me to believe they are associated.

Ive read that a lot of people with quattros have noticed minor vibrations on low speed tight turns and that this is apparently a normal symptom of the centre differential. This only leads me to suspect that mine has some kind of fault thats causing excessive symptoms.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Also @Chris86vw, spoke to Audi parts again today and got the price of 1100 for the centre diff unit. Told the guy about my conversation yesterday and he had no idea what the other guy was trying to sell me haha. Could only assume it was the front or rear diff.

AZ Member #

Definitely one of those times it sucks that you were right. Damn that's a price jump. I think some of the confusion likely came from the center diff I think being in the pages for some of the front drivetrain parts. Like you had to go past the front diff to get to the center diff if you were clicking through, it wasn't under trans.

I'm still hesitant to agree it is the diff though they just don't really fail that often (says guy who thinks he has a worn out one..) going used at least you can just slap your diff in the other trans and sell it if you guessed wrong and don't want to swap it back. That seems to be the best route to go. And if you are right give me a good deal on 6th gear :)

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Yeah that price is a bit of a stinger but it was more like what I was expecting. The car is already back up on stands, got a local guy who breaks Audis who has some Allroad 2.5tdi manual gearboxes so hopefully ill get another centre diff in it this weekend. Ill report back with results, hopefully good ones.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

So just an update. Removed the centre diff this afternoon, the first thing I noticed is theres a "clinking" when I tip it forwards or backwards, like something is loose inside. Secondly I tried to rotate the worm gears by hand and they will not move, even tried levering with a screwdriver and could only just about get them to turn.

Ive obviously never had any experience with Quattro centre diffs before but I'm guessing that this is not normal. Either way I'm gonna go ahead and swap it for a replacement this weekend.

AZ Member #

just trying to turn one of the outer gears won't do anything if I remember correctly, you need to try and spin it like I am in that gif above (google FSAE torsen rebuild and some videos should come up). But that requires getting two flanges inside as if it was installed to do properly.

any way you can takes some pics/video of what you are seeing or hearing.

Obviously swapping it out is easy and sounds like not too expensive so the test can't hurt.. but I'm curious.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

So I went ahead and swapped the centre diff over, filled the box with new fluid and am happy to say my problems has been resolved. Took my girlfriend to work in it this morning, a drive that would usually have it clunking its head off, and it was fine.

AZ Member #

Awesome glad that worked!

Really curious to see what is up with that old diff.

Senior Member Two Rings Alex JB's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by redcheese View Post
    So I went ahead and swapped the centre diff over, filled the box with new fluid and am happy to say my problems has been resolved. Took my girlfriend to work in it this morning, a drive that would usually have it clunking its head off, and it was fine.
    Brilliant fix.

Now it seems we know a 2.5tdi ctr diff is the same as the 2.7tt