Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

New car with wiring issues

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    FYI, I did post this in the customer care forum, but I was interested in learning what other owners thought before going to corporate as the dealer is working on the error.

Long story short, I bought a new 2018 a5 with 281 miles on it on Saturday. The tech said the check engine light was on due to a start/stop malfunction because it was sitting at the dealership for so long and that it should go away by Monday, driving home I found that the air con was blowing HOT. I went to a local audi dealer who found some wiring issues which will be covered under warranty and should have my car back mid week.....by wiring issues I mean sections running to the ac control unit were gone completely. What could have caused this? How can I see if it was in an accident? Car fax is clean.

Itís great that they will fix it but...the dealer should have never let me leave with a car with the check engine light on and basically the dealership was closed when they finally gave me the car, just me and poor guy who had to stay late to detail it. Iím not looking to assign blame but I just donít feel like itís fair/shit poor quality control.

Looking for some constructive feedback/guidance as this is uncharted territory for me. How much of a stink should I make with the original dealer? Will complaining to audi make any difference? Do you think I am entitled to ask for anything from the dealer based on this experience(free audi car, car mats, anything lol)

Thanks everyone, car is beautiful by the way, canít wait to actually drive it.

Active Member One Ring Sebastian3's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Dealers lie about everything. The notion that the check engine light was on due to the car sitting at the dealership and that it should ďgo away by MondayĒ is outrageous and spurious. I canít believe they let you drive off the lot with a fucking check engine light.

Speculation: The car was damaged in some way over those 281 miles before it was sold, and it wasnít properly fixed. Thereís pretty much no excuse for a brand new $60,000 car to have this kind of stuff happening right off the lot. Something is amiss!

Of course you are entitled to all of the things. And use all channels. AoA, dealer / dealership owner, BBB, etc.

They sold you a malfunctioning car under the pretense that it would fix itself. Reprehensible.

2018 A5 Coupe Prestige
    2018 A5 Coupe Prestige

Veteran Member Four Rings LYKUNO's Avatar
    AZ Member #

This may seem like a stretch, but there have been issues with soy-based wiring in Audis and VWs. If the car was parked somewhere where vermin (e.g., mice) had access to it, they could have caused the problem. Here's an article that will be of interest to you.
    2011 S4 | Prestige | Jet Blue | Black/Silver Silk Nappa | S-Tronic | Sport Diff | Drive Select | Side Assist | Titanium | Carbon Fiber Inlays | HRE R40s (summer) BBS RGRs (winter)

Established Member Two Rings wam22's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If there was damage to the car, there is no way of knowing. Dealers do not have to disclose damage under a certain amount ($5000-$10000 depending on the state) and it would not be reported to CarFax since it would have most likely been fixed in house. Another possibility is that somewhere in the manufacturing process, someone or something made a mistake and the wiring was never installed. But as long as it is fixed properly, there is not much you can do. Now if it is in the shop repeatedly for a certain amount of time/visits for this issue then you have a lemon law case.
    B9 S5 Coupe l Daytona Gray with Magma Red Nappa Leather
    AWE Custom Track Exhaust l DTUK Tuning Box l Hartmann Wheels l 034 Rear Sway Bar l 034 Front Strut Brace l K&N Cold Air Intake l EMD RS Grille
    Past: B8 A5 with APR Stage 1 Tune
    Former Audi Sales/Current BMW Sales

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wam22 View Post
    If there was damage to the car, there is no way of knowing. Dealers do not have to disclose damage under a certain amount ($5000-$10000 depending on the state) and it would not be reported to CarFax since it would have most likely been fixed in house. Another possibility is that somewhere in the manufacturing process, someone or something made a mistake and the wiring was never installed. But as long as it is fixed properly, there is not much you can do. Now if it is in the shop repeatedly for a certain amount of time/visits for this issue then you have a lemon law case.
    Thanks for your feedback guys.

Good point, I took it to a local Audi dealer closer to home first and they said there was no indication of any sort of body/chassis damage and they ruled out an accident. Also, they didnít see any rat damage, which leads me to believe that you are right about some QC lapse in Germany. The local dealer said it would be best to take it back to the delivery dealer, who fixed everything in 24 hours.

The car is fine now so no point in giving myself a headache, and since the original dealer handled it at least we are on the same page.

BUT I will reach out to audi corporate and make them aware of both the great service at the two dealers and my disappointment that I had to deal with the service department so soon. By the way, the dealer gave me a 18 q7 as a loaner, which was awesome lol.