Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Creaky Seats

  1. #1
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 21 2016
    AZ Member #
    370613
    Location
    Dayton, OH

    Creaky Seats

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Has anyone had any issues with the seats creaking? I am sometimes getting a constant creaking from probably the plastic back of the seat, that drives me nuts when driving. Didn't know if this was a common problem? Maybe it is telling me to lose some weight though...

  2. #2
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jan 24 2016
    AZ Member #
    367710
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec

    Quote Originally Posted by briedfox View Post
    Has anyone had any issues with the seats creaking? I am sometimes getting a constant creaking from probably the plastic back of the seat, that drives me nuts when driving. Didn't know if this was a common problem? Maybe it is telling me to lose some weight though...
    Didnt get any sounds in the past 4 months I've been owning my S4. Seats still are telling me to loose 20 pounds thought lol

    Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 21 2016
    AZ Member #
    370613
    Location
    Dayton, OH

    Quote Originally Posted by skirch View Post
    Didnt get any sounds in the past 4 months I've been owning my S4. Seats still are telling me to loose 20 pounds thought lol

    Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Correct, it is a feature. Audi letting you know when you are overweight. Who needs someone to tell you to lose weight when you have Audi doing so...

  4. #4
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Mar 21 2016
    AZ Member #
    370613
    Location
    Dayton, OH

    Quote Originally Posted by skirch View Post
    Didnt get any sounds in the past 4 months I've been owning my S4. Seats still are telling me to loose 20 pounds thought lol

    Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    BTW, great response...

  5. #5
    Established Member Two Rings kstrike155's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 15 2006
    AZ Member #
    11390
    Location
    Danbury, CT

    My wife had this problem in her A4. We could reproduce the problem by just pushing against the back of the seat when sitting and it was like a clicking/knocking/creaking-type sound. You could also feel it. They found that it was the lumbar support that had gone bad and replaced the part under warranty; it would have been $1000+.
    2018 Audi S4 Premium Plus
    Daytona Gray - Black optic package - Fine Nappa leather package - Carbon Atlas inlays - S Sport package - Navigation package - Dynamic steering

  6. #6
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jul 09 2018
    AZ Member #
    422123
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas

    Quote Originally Posted by kstrike155 View Post
    My wife had this problem in her A4. We could reproduce the problem by just pushing against the back of the seat when sitting and it was like a clicking/knocking/creaking-type sound. You could also feel it. They found that it was the lumbar support that had gone bad and replaced the part under warranty; it would have been $1000+.
    SAME exact problem in our 2018 Volvo S90. Super annoying...they havenít been able to fix it yet.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  7. #7
    Active Member Two Rings SMI77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 23 2018
    AZ Member #
    412892
    Location
    Australia

    Not a creaky seat, but our S4 Avant going in this week to the stealer to have the driver's seat backrest fixed under warranty. When one hits the lever to recline the backrest it feels like one side of the backrest moves then, say, a second later, the other side moves. Bloody eerie sensation, as though the frame is about to collapse. The stealer tried to fix it, but believes the seat motor is mistimed.
    '17 B9 S4 Avant ~ Daytona Grey ~ 'quattro' Sport Diff ~ Pano Roof ~ Black Package ~ Carbon Fibre Inlays
    PLUS OZ Racing black 19 x 9 wheels ~ Audi C/Fibre mirror caps ~ DTUK Tune/Pedal boxes & TCU Tune ~ De-badged ~ Eibach Springs ~ 034 M/sports rear bar ~
    RS style s/s black tips ~ Relak s/wheel paddles ~ Goodridge s/s braided lines ~ PowerStop ceramic pads~ RS style black grille & carbon effect 'OOOO' ~ Puddle LEDs 'OOOO'/'Audi' & 'quattro'

  8. #8
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 26 2018
    AZ Member #
    425434
    Location
    Mesa, AZ

    I have the exact problem with my seats. Its a random popping sound from drivers and passenger seats. It drives me bonkers, as most rattles do. I also find the my passenger seat belt makes some noise as well...bumping the seat or plastic panel. I haven't tried to rectify either noise yet, but will look into it soon.
    Has anyone had it fixed?

    Also....I have the phantom lumbar movement I read about in another thread. Weird!

  9. #9
    Established Member Two Rings S3 lover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 07 2016
    AZ Member #
    387744
    Location
    Glendale, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by jkeith72 View Post
    I have the exact problem with my seats. Its a random popping sound from drivers and passenger seats. It drives me bonkers, as most rattles do. I also find the my passenger seat belt makes some noise as well...bumping the seat or plastic panel. I haven't tried to rectify either noise yet, but will look into it soon.
    Has anyone had it fixed?

    Also....I have the phantom lumbar movement I read about in another thread. Weird!
    As far as seats creaking I have the same problem and will bring it up at my service next month, but the passenger seatbelt has a small bar under the buckle that holds it up and away from the seat which is what I do

  10. #10
    Active Member Two Rings mlewisii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 19 2017
    AZ Member #
    399692
    My Garage
    2018 S4 Prestige and 2018 Q3 P+
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan, USA

    Quote Originally Posted by jkeith72 View Post
    I have the exact problem with my seats. Its a random popping sound from drivers and passenger seats. It drives me bonkers, as most rattles do. I also find the my passenger seat belt makes some noise as well...bumping the seat or plastic panel. I haven't tried to rectify either noise yet, but will look into it soon.
    Has anyone had it fixed?

    Also....I have the phantom lumbar movement I read about in another thread. Weird!

    I had a very annoying rattle coming from the passenger seat.I was able to find and fix the issue. Not sure if you all have the same issue, but this is what was wrong with mine. The plastic housing on the right side of the passenger seat was rattling. The gap between the housing and the actual seat was different from the drivers seat. I ended up popping the plastic cover off and bending the metal tab that holds the cover in place. I bent it towards the seat, which closed the gap to match the drivers seat. Then put the plastic cover/housing back on the tab. Problem solved. Hopefully this makes sense. If not, I can try to clear it up if you need me to.

  11. #11
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 26 2018
    AZ Member #
    425434
    Location
    Mesa, AZ

    Quote Originally Posted by mlewisii View Post
    I had a very annoying rattle coming from the passenger seat.I was able to find and fix the issue. Not sure if you all have the same issue, but this is what was wrong with mine. The plastic housing on the right side of the passenger seat was rattling. The gap between the housing and the actual seat was different from the drivers seat. I ended up popping the plastic cover off and bending the metal tab that holds the cover in place. I bent it towards the seat, which closed the gap to match the drivers seat. Then put the plastic cover/housing back on the tab. Problem solved. Hopefully this makes sense. If not, I can try to clear it up if you need me to.
    Was the back cover hard to get off? I haven't really looked into this in any detail yet...

  12. #12
    Active Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 26 2018
    AZ Member #
    425434
    Location
    Mesa, AZ

    So I popped the seat back off to inspect. The creaking/popping sound is the vinyl like material that the seat back panel is wrapped in, rubbing and sticking to the seal like material on the seat. I applied a very light coating of silicone grease to the vinyl edge on the seat back cover. Reinstalled and drove....itís almost gone, but there is a random creak still. I think that my next step will be to add some fairly dense foam pieces that will hold outward pressure on the seat back cover when itís installed. That should reduce the likelihood of it shifting enough to make noise....maybe.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.