Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Creaky Seats

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Creaky Seats

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Has anyone had any issues with the seats creaking? I am sometimes getting a constant creaking from probably the plastic back of the seat, that drives me nuts when driving. Didn't know if this was a common problem? Maybe it is telling me to lose some weight though...

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by briedfox View Post
    Has anyone had any issues with the seats creaking? I am sometimes getting a constant creaking from probably the plastic back of the seat, that drives me nuts when driving. Didn't know if this was a common problem? Maybe it is telling me to lose some weight though...
    Didnt get any sounds in the past 4 months I've been owning my S4. Seats still are telling me to loose 20 pounds thought lol

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by skirch View Post
    Didnt get any sounds in the past 4 months I've been owning my S4. Seats still are telling me to loose 20 pounds thought lol

Correct, it is a feature. Audi letting you know when you are overweight. Who needs someone to tell you to lose weight when you have Audi doing so...

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by skirch View Post

BTW, great response...

Established Member Two Rings kstrike155's Avatar
    AZ Member #

My wife had this problem in her A4. We could reproduce the problem by just pushing against the back of the seat when sitting and it was like a clicking/knocking/creaking-type sound. You could also feel it. They found that it was the lumbar support that had gone bad and replaced the part under warranty; it would have been $1000+.
    2018 Audi S4 Premium Plus
    Daytona Gray - Black optic package - Fine Nappa leather package - Carbon Atlas inlays - S Sport package - Navigation package - Dynamic steering

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kstrike155 View Post
    My wife had this problem in her A4. We could reproduce the problem by just pushing against the back of the seat when sitting and it was like a clicking/knocking/creaking-type sound. You could also feel it. They found that it was the lumbar support that had gone bad and replaced the part under warranty; it would have been $1000+.
    SAME exact problem in our 2018 Volvo S90. Super annoying...they havenít been able to fix it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Not a creaky seat, but our S4 Avant going in this week to the stealer to have the driver's seat backrest fixed under warranty. When one hits the lever to recline the backrest it feels like one side of the backrest moves then, say, a second later, the other side moves. Bloody eerie sensation, as though the frame is about to collapse. The stealer tried to fix it, but believes the seat motor is mistimed.
    '17 B9 S4 Avant ~ Daytona Grey ~ 'quattro' Sport Diff ~ Pano Roof ~ Black Package ~ Carbon Fibre Inlays
    PLUS OZ Racing black 19 x 9 wheels ~ Audi C/Fibre mirror caps ~ DTUK Tune/Pedal boxes & TCU Tune ~ De-badged ~ Eibach Springs ~ 034 M/sports rear bar ~
    RS style s/s black tips ~ Relak s/wheel paddles ~ Goodridge s/s braided lines ~ PowerStop ceramic pads~ RS style black grille & carbon effect 'OOOO' ~ Puddle LEDs 'OOOO'/'Audi' & 'quattro'

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I have the exact problem with my seats. Its a random popping sound from drivers and passenger seats. It drives me bonkers, as most rattles do. I also find the my passenger seat belt makes some noise as well...bumping the seat or plastic panel. I haven't tried to rectify either noise yet, but will look into it soon.
    Has anyone had it fixed?

Also....I have the phantom lumbar movement I read about in another thread. Weird!

Established Member Two Rings S3 lover's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jkeith72 View Post
    I have the exact problem with my seats. Its a random popping sound from drivers and passenger seats. It drives me bonkers, as most rattles do. I also find the my passenger seat belt makes some noise as well...bumping the seat or plastic panel. I haven't tried to rectify either noise yet, but will look into it soon.
    Has anyone had it fixed?

Also....I have the phantom lumbar movement I read about in another thread. Weird!
    As far as seats creaking I have the same problem and will bring it up at my service next month, but the passenger seatbelt has a small bar under the buckle that holds it up and away from the seat which is what I do

Active Member Two Rings mlewisii's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 S4 Prestige and 2018 Q3 P+

Quote Originally Posted by jkeith72 View Post
    Has anyone had it fixed?

I had a very annoying rattle coming from the passenger seat.I was able to find and fix the issue. Not sure if you all have the same issue, but this is what was wrong with mine. The plastic housing on the right side of the passenger seat was rattling. The gap between the housing and the actual seat was different from the drivers seat. I ended up popping the plastic cover off and bending the metal tab that holds the cover in place. I bent it towards the seat, which closed the gap to match the drivers seat. Then put the plastic cover/housing back on the tab. Problem solved. Hopefully this makes sense. If not, I can try to clear it up if you need me to.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mlewisii View Post
    I had a very annoying rattle coming from the passenger seat.I was able to find and fix the issue. Not sure if you all have the same issue, but this is what was wrong with mine. The plastic housing on the right side of the passenger seat was rattling. The gap between the housing and the actual seat was different from the drivers seat. I ended up popping the plastic cover off and bending the metal tab that holds the cover in place. I bent it towards the seat, which closed the gap to match the drivers seat. Then put the plastic cover/housing back on the tab. Problem solved. Hopefully this makes sense. If not, I can try to clear it up if you need me to.
    Was the back cover hard to get off? I haven't really looked into this in any detail yet...

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

So I popped the seat back off to inspect. The creaking/popping sound is the vinyl like material that the seat back panel is wrapped in, rubbing and sticking to the seal like material on the seat. I applied a very light coating of silicone grease to the vinyl edge on the seat back cover. Reinstalled and drove....itís almost gone, but there is a random creak still. I think that my next step will be to add some fairly dense foam pieces that will hold outward pressure on the seat back cover when itís installed. That should reduce the likelihood of it shifting enough to make noise....maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk