Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings ChanceA4Parks's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Recently Acquired A4 B7,Pretty Major Build and Lots of Questions/Answers

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I need a place I can start dumping photos, asking questions, and answering questions about my A4 I bought in Feb. I haven't stopped modding it since. This is a 2008 Audi A4 that I purchased because I wanted to learn more about the mechanic side of things. I have been in the 12v industry for 18 years and I own a car stereo shop here in Mississppi. It has always frightened me to work on suspension, brakes, engine, and etc. (I've never even changed my own oil) I do like to push myself and the older I get, the more ocd and the more trust I have in my own abilities. By the time I'm done, I'm pretty sure I will have touch every single bolt and screw on this thing. Now on to the photos and list of completed work and current work. I will be updating as much as I can throughout the whole thing.

The way she was when I picked her up for $4500

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ChanceA4Parks; 07-14-2018 at 04:17 PM.

AZ Member #

Getting the Rear passenger side Air Ride Performance bag and shock installed.

AZ Member #

Rear bbk kit assembly. ECS rotor, I think a S4 caliper, and JHM hardlines. It seems so long ago now.

AZ Member #

Front Porsche Caliper, JHM Rotor, and Steel Lines

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Dam the underbody of your car is so clean and no rust! They don't use salt where you live?

AZ Member #

Testing the rear for clearance and

height.

Compressor being mounted in rear trunk compartment.

Now, checking the fronts' bags, bbk, and rim spacer clearance

This is my newest addiction. My very first motor build and of course it has to be a 2.7t Swap.

I've got about 200 pictures of me breaking everything down on the engine. Every bolt I could find I removed.

AZ Member #

The car was originally bought from up north apparently. I of course bought it without really looking under. I will eventually either replace most parts or blasting and cerokoting the parts. Ive already done all of the front. I'm about to pull my motor and I can't wait to see what goodness I find.

Established Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Ive always wondered how Cerakote would hold up as an exterior auto parts coating. I use it quite often in my line of work. It has great wear and anti corrosion properties for a ceramic coating. I bet it would work great as a brake caliper coating if you totally stripped the caliper down and used an H series coating with a proper bake curing. And I wonder if their high temp ceramic coating would work on exterior turbocharger housings and test pipes.

AZ Member #

If you Cerakoted that wheel hub, I'd recommend removing it from the wheel mating surface.

AZ Member #

The engine was supposed to be a quick and cheap (engine was $400 +$200 freight) swap, yeah right. Then the plan turned into a k04 swap and supporting mods. The more I thought about it, I wanted the ability to really push the car further and harder the more I upgraded and restored the drivetrain. So, I settled on TTE600s. Bought them and then didn't want to wait on the 600s to come into stock and I upgraded them to some TTE780s that Turbo Engineers had heat wrapped and was using as book shelf end.

I love this picture. My crazy dog just decided she wanted to fall asleep in a box of radios.

It took me forever to find, but I lucked up on a brand new RS4 intake mani. Of course I had to get it cerokoted.

I finally get the block back from the machine shop and I get to officially start building a motor. JE Pistons (bored to 82mm w/9:0.1 compression) , Pauter Rods, Calico coated bearings, and ARP Bolts

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180701/cd42308e8877c7588a9d805eddd41803.jpg
    [/IMG]

Ended up getting a set of 2.8l cylinder heads off of ebay while I waited on my block to get bored. Here I am getting the Supertech Valves, Springs, and Seals installed as well as new oem lifters.

Getting everything painted, cerokoted, or polished up. Starting to piece everything together and making sure I have the crazy amount of new seals, gaskets, and hoses.

Lots of head scratching when putting on the Paragon Oil lines, 034 spider hose assembly, 034 Fuel rail, and countless other upgrades and mods.
    (Engine was out of a auto and I'm putting it into my 6mt)

Cleaning up the harness and running all my wiring under the IM.

I think my diverter valves are backwards

Last edited by ChanceA4Parks; 07-12-2018 at 01:03 PM.

AZ Member #

I kind of felt obligated to get a new bumper to open up the airflow to the new AWE Intercooler. I had to get the side skirts to just get her a little lower. I just ordered non s-line door blades, because I think its going to look better with them more flush.

AZ Member #

Im about to start installing the Stage 3 Snow Performance Water/Meth Injection system.

AZ Member #

What are the chances the car will crank with this kind of modding? I pretty sure its a extremely low chance without tuning

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Nice, what front bumper is that?

AZ Member #

It was actually one of the ebay ones. ($375 or somewhere around there) It of coarse came with some manufacturing flaws, like spots where you could see where they broke the plastic away from the mold and a small gap around the fog light grill. I really didn't expect it to fit. A good friend repaired everything and painted it. To my surprise, it all fit fine with a little persuasion.

AZ Member #

Now I either have to open and paint the headlights black (might as well do halo mods while there and change the lens out) or find a grill and fog shrouds with chrome lips.

Veteran Member Four Rings vce1232000's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    83 MK1 GTI Callaway Turbo stg II

build. welcome to . Cant wait till you that 2.7 T into your ride
    APR KO4, APR HPFP,RS4 LPFP Cntr,145 bar PRV, APR TP, TT DP, GFB DV+, AWE FMIC, BFI CC, AWE Exhaust, RS4 Exh tips, ST CO, 034 RSB,034 St Dnsty Mtr Mts, New Sth West Bst guage, B7 RS4 8 pot Calipers.Stop Tech slotted rotors.Goodridge SS brake lines frt & rr. Hawk HPS frt & rr. RS4 PS rack, RS4 Servotronic Relay,RS4 rims. S4 mirror caps,RS4 Mesh Style Grill,LED tail lites
    S4 Recaro Front & Rear seats. Led Interior Kit,United LED's fog lites
    2007 A4 Avant 2.0T Tiptronic 6spd

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceA4Parks View Post
    What are the chances the car will crank with this kind of modding? I pretty sure its a extremely low chance without tuning

From what Iíve read, the hardest part about a 2.7T swap is working around Can Bus.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

WOW, youíve been busy, very impressive! Iíd be interested in an air bag install DIY if you had the time and pictures for it.
    2005.5 A4 Avant; TSI cam follower conversion. Build Thread

99.5 1.8TQM; Maestro, GTX2867R, and a ton more mods. RIP
    Build Thread

AZ Member #

I've been reading constantly about the problems that will pop up when doing this swap. I have purchased several parts to "downgrade" to the older canbus system to make the transition as smooth as possible, like cluster, abs, and etc. I'm just waiting on new thrust washers to get the block completely done and I'll be ready to pull the old (newer) engine.

Active Member Two Rings babayaga's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If you want a nice set of headlights, I been eyeing these osram ones for quite awhile. ledrive-xenarc-0fbe122d48380290fc-940-0-1-95-1.jpeg

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
    If you want a nice set of headlights, I been eyeing these osram ones for quite awhile. ledrive-xenarc-0fbe122d48380290fc-940-0-1-95-1.jpeg

I honestly haven't even looked at any aftermarket options. I have installed aftermarket lighting for my customers for a long time and they all seem to be hit or miss when it comes to quality. Fitment issues, cheap lights/leds, and worse of all, some don't seal properly. I even put dielectric grease around the bulbs' o-ring or rubber washer and some will still fog up. There's nothing you can do about cheap foreign made products sometimes, no matter how much they cost. I prefer to mod factory because no matter what, as long as you do the job correctly, you don't have many of those types of issues. I'll still be using Oracle Lighting, which I'm sure is made in China.

Active Member Two Rings babayaga's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I honestly haven't even looked at any aftermarket options. I have installed aftermarket lighting for my customers for a long time and they all seem to be hit or miss when it comes to quality. Fitment issues, cheap lights/leds, and worse of all, some don't seal properly. I even put dielectric grease around the bulbs' o-ring or rubber washer and some will still fog up. There's nothing you can do about cheap foreign made products sometimes, no matter how much they cost. I prefer to mod factory because no matter what, as long as you do the job correctly, you don't have many of those types of issues. I'll still be using Oracle Lighting, which I'm sure is made in China.

Yes I know that with the aftermarket ones there are a lot of problems but this is made by osram a German company that is the best manufacturer of xenon lights and for someone in Europe, like me, this headlight is awesome because you don't need headlight washers to run xenons, they are TUV checked.

Veteran Member Four Rings Solarsuplex's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Lots of quality work and then that bumper!
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey
    Moonlight Blue - B8.5 S4
    Brilliant Black - B7 A4

AZ Member #

Im about to start installing the Stage 3 Snow Performance Water/Meth Injection system.

You might want to get the car running optimally before you add another variable like meth. Or is this car finished already and youíre just messing with us ? 😀

Veteran Member Four Rings i3oricua's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 A4; 2007 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
    You might want to get the car running optimally before you add another variable like meth. Or is this car finished already and youíre just messing with us ?
    Meth is not complicated and wonít present or create any problems. Much safer than nitrous. However, from a money perspective I would do as youíre saying and fix any issues before dumping money on anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Definitely not finished yet. I definitely planned on getting the car running and all the big and little problems ironed out. I am being as meticulous as I can, but this is my first engine build. I plan on seeing at least one fire. I just have to make sure I plan all my future upgrades accordingly. I don't want to paint myself into a corner , and not be able to do the future upgrades I want to do. (Like meth). I feel like I'm running out of space or have already run out of space.

AZ Member #

Here's yesterdays work on the meth kit. Nothing to it really yet. I'm sure its going to get more complicated on the tuning side, but I am a hardware guy, not a software guy. I'll let the pros have the headache on that one. I do have Maestro and I thought about learning enough to get the car to crank.

Ive got to get this engine completed and out of my dining room. Hahaha.

AZ Member #

I'm officially at a stand still for a few days because I wasn't paying close enough attention and didn't wait to get some correct info. First problem was I forgot to put the oil pump chain tensioner on before I crushed my front flange gasket. I've heard that I could reuse the metal gasket, but why risk it at this point. While correcting that issue, I will probably need to replace the front crankshaft seal as well. Then I forgot to put the thrust washers in the crankshaft and had to loosen and drop the crank down a tad bit to squeeze the new ones in. In that process, I lost the torque sheet for the rods bolts (Pauter Rods and ARP 2000 5/16 bolts) and over torqued those by 13 lbs. before I noticed it didnt feel right. Had to order some new bolts, because I don't want to risk something snapping. Damn, so close and I keep having to go backwards for small mistakes that are adding up and putting my drop in time even further back. It's a learning experience, but I do expect better of myself. Live and learn. Heres a few photos.

AZ Member #

How do you edit a title? I cringe everytime I see the title. Haha

AZ Member #

Here's something you guys might have seen or done, but I love the way cams look and I had to expose them.

Veteran Member Four Rings IronAudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #

A big single turbo on these cars would be better, I love seeing the Snail sitting on the back of the Engine Bay, plus mooooR power. looks nice though
    2008 B7 A4 2.0 T Brilliant Black|20% Tint|18" RS4 Reps LE|Bone Stock Brand new old Engine.

Veteran Member Four Rings thenofjboy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 S-line QMT6 , B5 KO4 & my german sheppard

Great build and gotta love all the pics. I've never rebuilt an engine but all the build treads I've read...there will obv always be things that come up and or that you've forgotten about etc. live and learn as you said.

I love how you go from 'I haven't even changed my own oil', to rebuilding the engine! hahah keep up the good work!
    Sean

The New
    B7---GIAC--BBS--DDM--JHM+S4Exhaust--StaSIS SS--034--AudiUP--USP--RedEBC--IE--DrakesVC#12--B7S4 Brakes--StopTech--GFB DV+--

The Old
    B5---GIAC-K04--RACETEC--APR--DEPO--AUTOTECH--VMR--FORGE--034--H&R--BILSTEIN--FUJITA

AZ Member #

She sure is getting close.

AZ Member #

Update:
    At about 60% power and it is already ridiculous fast. Puts you in the back seat extremely quickly. I will post some videos as soon as I get a few more kinks ironed out.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Boxster S 550 SE

Well done

Sent from my E2306 using Audizine mobile app
    2004 Boxster S SE, 2006 Audi A4 Avant 2.0 Quattro

Veteran Member Four Rings 80sGuy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Miele S7

That's fookin' insane. I'd hate working on it if I was a mechanic.

2008 A4 2.0T | Dolphin Gray Metallic/Dk Gray | multitronic | Bluetooth | Dk Wood | Convenience. | Premium. | Sprt Susp. | Bare-bone 100% factory stock!