Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Is there a way to check timeing without pulling the engine? V10

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Is there a way to check timeing without pulling the engine? V10 5.2 can I do it though vag com?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Three Rings cal3thousand's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1994 Volvo 850 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by s4ugenfast View Post
    Is there a way to check timeing without pulling the engine? V10 5.2 can I do it though vag com?

Engine module blocks 91, 92, and 93

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Danton Black: 2009 Audi C6.5 A6 Sedan (Quattro, 3.0T, Prestige)
    I miss my Avant, longing for a 2011 3.0T
    Dead:
    Griselda, aka Grizzy: 2007 Audi C6 A6 Avant (Quattro, S-Line)

Just some small cosmetic mods while getting to Stage 0

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by cal3thousand View Post
    Engine module blocks 91, 92, and 93

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    What values do I look for? Thanks!

Established Member Two Rings ApostolSauce's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    3.0T A6 Avant, STG3 B5 S4

if you have the special tools.. you can put the crank pin into the inspection hole, remove the valve covers and see if the cam locks thread in correctly. You have a timing fault i assume? Swap actuators, if it doesnít change and physical timing is good then you may need an adjuster. Then you can pull the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ApostolSauce View Post
    if you have the special tools.. you can put the crank pin into the inspection hole, remove the valve covers and see if the cam locks thread in correctly. You have a timing fault i assume? Swap actuators, if it doesnít change and physical timing is good then you may need an adjuster. Then you can pull the engine.

The fault I'm getting is P0368 Camshaft Position Sensor "B" Circuit High Input

I swapped cam position sensors and actuators the fault stays the same. The car feels like it has a massive air leak more then a timeing issue.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

thatís bank 1 exhaust side cam, does the fault come back right after clearing at idle or do you have to drive it for it to return? if the fault didnít follow the correct sensor and actuator then i would check physical timing and suspect the adjuster. As for air leaks, itís possible you have one, 5.2s donít have a good reputation with those intake manifolds.

AZ Member #

thatís bank 1 exhaust side cam, does the fault come back right after clearing at idle or do you have to drive it for it to return? if the fault didnít follow the correct sensor and actuator then i would check physical timing and suspect the adjuster. As for air leaks, itís possible you have one, 5.2s donít have a good reputation with those intake manifolds.

Car will barely idle pops and dies after a few seconds. When I erase the fault and restart the car and it comes back right. I was thinking possibly the the crankcase breather I had that before.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

i would follow the fault. pull the valve covers and see if all the treaded holes (that the special tool would screw into) are in the same exact position at top dead center. they should be straight flat in line with the deck of the cylinder head.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

i would follow the fault. pull the valve covers and see if all the treaded holes (that the special tool would screw into) are in the same exact position at top dead center. they should be straight flat in line with the deck of the cylinder head.

TBH...I think your taking it too far early on. If there was indeed a timing issue, you would get cam timing over/under advanced or cam crank correlation error. I forget the code numbers. I would first start by checking the wiring for that cam position sensor. I suspect youíll find your issue there. Trace it back through wire harness. Make sure all connectors are good and no pinched wires.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Terak0306 View Post
    TBH...I think your taking it too far early on. If there was indeed a timing issue, you would get cam timing over/under advanced or cam crank correlation error. I forget the code numbers. I would first start by checking the wiring for that cam position sensor. I suspect youíll find your issue there. Trace it back through wire harness. Make sure all connectors are good and no pinched wires.
    Thanks I think it is a wiring issue for that sensor but the car had bigger problems. The rocker popped out. Now I have to figure out why and swap a camshaft and new rockers.20180711_163611.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Audizine mobile app