Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Senior Member Three Rings skree25's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1999 Audi B5 A4 Avant, 1996 Cherokee, 1989 Honda VTR 250

Difficult vacuum leak

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by CELison View Post
    The bar not going on is for sure concerning. That should pop on no prob. You said the chain is new. Where did you get it from? Maybe that chain has links ever so slightly a different length from the OEM chain. Shot in the dark, but it's possible. And yes, timing being off can effect comp numbers, as the cylinder isn't sealing like it should. It will also effect Vac, which is what you're experiencing that got you into this wormhole.
    Got the chains from FCP, Iwis is the mfr. I donít think itís chains though. The timing marks between the intake and exhaust cams are spot on with the notches in the bearing caps (see photos in earlier post). I think it has to be the hall sender or the impulse rotor on back of the intake cam. If the ecu is trying to compensate for a timing error that isnít actually there, would it be causing the engine to behave like it is?

I agree step one would be to put the timing set back to cam bar and crank pin. Then I think Iíll inspect and swap the impulse rotors and hall senders and see if that changes anything.

Iím getting an occasional code for random misfire which I think has got to be my timing being off now...

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Three Rings Bob Marley's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Can't think of scenario where the cam bar not going on is ok... no matter what MB 93 says

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Veteran Member Four Rings CELison's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Marley View Post
    Can't think of scenario where the cam bar not going on is ok... no matter what MB 93 says

Exactly. That means that the engine is mechanically out of time even though VCDS says it isn't. Before changing anything on the cams, put the engine back in time so the bar goes on and the belt is nice and tight. I don't think the ECU changing timing based off bad readings would cause low vac though. That's hardware related.
    B5 S4- K24s, built bottom end, E85
    B8 S4- GIAC Stage 2, E85/93

AZ Member #

Gotta get real ABC with this shit...

Eveything is referenced from the Crank/Flywheel

The first connection from the crank to the rest of youre engine is the timinng belt which links both Banks to the crank... ...if that shit ain't right... nothing else will be.

..start from Bottom to Top

A) Crank @ TDC with Lock Pin

B) CAM bar On

C) Your Exhaust cams are now perfectly in time.

This is now your foundation to make any other adjustments.

otherwise anything else you do will compound the issues

If all 4 TDC markings up top line up... leave it all alone. You have some other issue.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Gotta get real ABC with this shit...

Eveything is referenced from the Crank/Flywheel

The first connection from the crank to the rest of youre engine is the timinng belt which links both Banks to the crank... ...if that shit ain't right... nothing else will be.

..start from Bottom to Top

A) Crank @ TDC with Lock Pin

B) CAM bar On

C) Your Exhaust cams are now perfectly in time.

This is now your foundation to make any other adjustments.

otherwise anything else you do will compound the issues

If all 4 TDC markings up top line up... leave it all alone. You have some other issue.

Yes I need to find out why the ECU thinks itís out of time when it really is in time. -12 kw doesnít match what Iíve been able to visually verify via crank pin, cam bar, and visual inspection of the intake cam.

I think my issue lies in whatever is causing that gap.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Difficult vacuum leak

Exactly. That means that the engine is mechanically out of time even though VCDS says it isn't. Before changing anything on the cams, put the engine back in time so the bar goes on and the belt is nice and tight. I don't think the ECU changing timing based off bad readings would cause low vac though. That's hardware related.
    How confident are you that having engine in time but 093 off wouldnít cause my issues? If that is the case then that throws my whole hall sensor/impulse rotor theory out the window...

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by skree25 View Post
    How confident are you that having engine in time but 093 off wouldnít cause my issues? If that is the case then that throws my whole hall sensor/impulse rotor theory out the window...

70%. I don't see how it would cause low vac. Unless it was misfiring like crazy. I'm not confident in anything with your car. Seems to defy the rules.

AZ Member #

Yes I need to find out why the ECU thinks itís out of time when it really is in time. -12 kw doesnít match what Iíve been able to visually verify via crank pin, cam bar, and visual inspection of the intake cam.

I think my issue lies in whatever is causing that gap.

Nevermind block 93 for now...

If you're cam bar was able to go on before... ...and now it isn't going on at all...

That's a major issue

That should never change once set

The bar should always be able to go on and off smoothly with a new timing job done... once it's off... Correction factors rise

Youe ecu may be right all along... forcing you to address something physically out of wack
    Last edited by Bob Marley; 07-12-2018 at 01:07 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Difficult vacuum leak

Youe ecu may be right all along... forcing you to address something physically out of wack
    Ok hereís what the current plan. Swap hall senders. Check 093. Swap impulse rotors. Check 093. Reset timing via the traditional method. Check 093. Drive the car for 20-30 miles. Recheck 093. Do another compression test and leak down test. Redo heads if necessary. Otherwise Install new OEM chains. Check 093. Drive car another 20-30 miles. Recheck 093.

Otherwise itís probably new cams. Then back to OEM flywheel

Last edited by skree25; 07-12-2018 at 06:30 PM.

Established Member Three Rings Teck09's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Just my .02, and all of the above sound like good plans, but I would redo and verify that your compression results were truly skewed from the dieing battery before throwing any significant amount of money at it. You might be currently chasing something that isn't necessarily affecting the initial cause for concern, the low vac issue. You had mentioned earlier that your manual cam adjustment may have affected the comp #'s as well, they very well may have but I would retime first with the cam bar and pin then check comp #'s before going any further.

I am unclear exactly how and why the ecu adjusts timing and/or what block 93 shows but is it possible the KW/correction factor could be off due to the ecu trying to correct for low compression on that bank?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Teck09 View Post
    Just my .02, and all of the above sound like good plans, but I would redo and verify that your compression results were truly skewed from the dieing battery before throwing any significant amount of money at it. You might be currently chasing something that isn't necessarily affecting the initial cause for concern, the low vac issue. You had mentioned earlier that your manual cam adjustment may have affected the comp #'s as well, they very well may have but I would retime first with the cam bar and pin then check comp #'s before going any further.

I am unclear exactly how and why the ecu adjusts timing and/or what block 93 shows but is it possible the KW/correction factor could be off due to the ecu trying to correct for low compression on that bank?
    My understanding is that 093 simply measures the deviation between the crank and the intake camsí timing. The only way this can change is via the tensioner, and Iím able to show the tensioner adjustment at 0 when 093 is measured, so I believe it has to be something else.

AZ Member #

The heads totally stock besides the cams? Ever been messed with? A valve not sealing all the way will cause those issues. It's unlikely, but possible.

Edit: Doesn't explain the cam timing being off in VCDS. Mystery continues.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

The heads totally stock besides the cams? Ever been messed with? A valve not sealing all the way will cause those issues. It's unlikely, but possible.

Edit: Doesn't explain the cam timing being off in VCDS. Mystery continues.
    Maybe just the universe telling me to upgrade to 2.8 heads and new valvetrain

Veteran Member Four Rings vavJETTAw36's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Maybe just the universe telling me to upgrade to 2.8 heads and new valvetrain

Did you ever drive it around after seeing -12 and 5?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vavJETTAw36 View Post
    Did you ever drive it around after seeing -12 and 5?
    No. So thatís a possibility...that after I reset timing again and drive it that 093 will work itself back into spec like it did for that one guy in the other thread...

AZ Member #

No. So thatís a possibility...that after I reset timing again and drive it that 093 will work itself back into spec like it did for that one guy in the other thread...

Needs time for Oil Pressure to build and tensioners to do they're thing... drive around and let the oil warm up... it flows better warm and will actuate the tensioners fully.... then see if theres a difference

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Difficult vacuum leak

Well would you take a look at this...hereís my impulse rotors. Left is bank 1 right is bank 2

Image1531831106.251180.jpg

I think I found the cause of 093 being out of whack. The gap used for timing by the sensor is way smaller for bank 2 which was the bank out of spec

So my guess is these must be different on 2.8 vs 2.7 cams then and I must have gotten one of each somehow.

Hopefully I can find a spare to match bank 1 and throw it in...

AZ Member #

Well would you take a look at this...hereís my impulse rotors. Left is bank 1 right is bank 2

Image1531831106.251180.jpg

I think I found the cause of 093 being out of whack. The gap used for timing by the sensor is way smaller for bank 2 which was the bank out of spec

So my guess is these must be different on 2.8 vs 2.7 cams then and I must have gotten one of each somehow.

Hopefully I can find a spare to match bank 1 and throw it in...

For christ sake bro...

AZ Member #

Looks like heís finally slain the beast.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Difficult vacuum leak

Found a spare of the larger size to match bank 1 (stamped 234F). Threw it in. Also swapped hall sensor sides, but no change on 093

Image1531833459.664372.jpg

I havenít retimed the motor so this is still showing the manual adjustment out of time, so I was hoping to see 093 out of time as well...but no luck

Just seems weird that the impulse rotor being a different size wouldnít affect the timing at all

Last edited by skree25; Today at 06:29 AM.

AZ Member #

Apparently they just need to match ...i'm thinking because the 2.8 cams I have Installed have the 2.8 Sensor.. not 2.7 and Block 93 Is fine.

But all the manual adjustments you made would indeed keep you out of whack now

Last edited by Bob Marley; Today at 06:45 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Difficult vacuum leak

Apparently they just need to match ...i'm thinking because the 2.8 cams I have Installed have the 2.8 Impule Rotors... not 2.7 and Block 93 Is fine.

But all the manual adjustments you made would indeed keep you out of whack now

Mine were mismatching, now they are matching, but 093 has shown the same in both scenarios.

The hall sensors are interchangeable between the two right?

AZ Member #

Mine were mismatching, now they are matching, but 093 has shown the same in both scenarios.

The hall sensors are interchangeable between the two right?

It seems that way... since I dont recall swapping them... I installed my 2.8 cams as is... Hall sensors and all without issue

AZ Member #

Still doesn't explain the low vac.
    Last edited by CELison; Today at 07:35 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Difficult vacuum leak

Still peanut explain the low vac.
    Nope youíre right, it doesnít. Next step is to retime the motor and redo compression test. If compression is low then Iíve got a head problem. Not sure what else it could be at this point.

What sucks is I wonít be able to get in a garage again for 2 months. Buying a new home and just in between work spaces...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345