Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Torn about tune......

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    What's up everyone. I just picked up my A4 last week and am eager to get started adding more power. I just bought a used 034 Cold Air Intake from one of the forum members, and am waiting for its arrival, but will want a bit more power.

I have been reading up on the tunes as much as possible, but I am still torn. Obviously the full flashes (APR/Revo/Chipwerke) will yield the most gains, but from what I have read they all require you to take them back to the tuner to put them back to stock prior to service, and despite that they will still be flagged as a TD1.

The piggyback systems (Neuspeed/Berger) seem to produce some decent numbers, albeit substantially less than the full flashes, and can be easily removed yourself prior to service, but I have also read that the prior presence of these can now be detected.

I want some more power but don't want to compromise future warranties. I know APR Plus is always an option, but its pricey.

So my questions:
    1) Anyone have any stories of either tunes being detected or more importantly not being detected?
    2) Has anyone tried one of the piggy back systems, and if so what were your impressions (any dyno or 0-60 times)?

Established Member Two Rings misanorotrs4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Audi SQ5, 2017 VW Jetta S

I have some bolt on mods:
    - 034 P34 intake
    - 034 High Flow Racing Cat
    - AWE Track Exhaust

Running Neuspeed power module piggyback. Have an appointment for Dyno this Tuesday, will gladly share results on the forum. Being a prior Audi employee, donít risk a TD1 with a flash, itís hit and miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    IG: @aram_audi

Established Member Two Rings Dirty_Bourbon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

talk to your respective dealer. Mine was aware of my APR tune. In fact service members there had tunes as well. They worked around it when they could and even put off some "software" updates etc which may have flashed me back to stock.
    18' B9 P+ Black/Brown
    **TBD
    In Remembrance:
    B8.5 A4 SLine Competition B/Optics

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty_Bourbon View Post
    talk to your respective dealer. Mine was aware of my APR tune. In fact service members there had tunes as well. They worked around it when they could and even put off some "software" updates etc which may have flashed me back to stock.
    But they avoiding overriding your APR tune doesnít stop your car reading as TD1, right?

I bought a used JB1 from a member on here that arrives in a couple of days. Iím hoping it will scratch the itch for a little while.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 714a4 View Post
    But they avoiding overriding your APR tune doesnít stop your car reading as TD1, right?

I bought a used JB1 from a member on here that arrives in a couple of days. Iím hoping it will scratch the itch for a little while.
    Yes my car still flagged TD1- again though talk to respective dealers. You'll be able to judge where they'll stand should issue arise. In NJ we have VW dealers who are authorized APR installers. Cant hurt to inquire. Burgers are decent... but should help the itch.
    Should have my B9 this week- i want to go back to APR once sale comes around. $500 +10% disc is reasonable on lease vehicle. But $700 +10% discount no bueno so we shall see.
    18' B9 P+ Black/Brown
    **TBD
    In Remembrance:

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

When do they usually have sales? I'm getting mine done as I post this, but I'd be annoyed if it goes on sale next week.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Alexdsheff View Post
    When do they usually have sales? I'm getting mine done as I post this, but I'd be annoyed if it goes on sale next week.
    Holidays, Memorial Day, Labor Day, I would have thought a Independence Day one but dont see anything on the wire... those garages who are authorized tuners, will find out max 1/2 days prior. But sales normally run all week. We would have heard if there was July 4th.

I dont see anything on calendar but this one just past for example. You can find them here. I plan on Labor day Tune. Last 3 years have seen 10% off.

https://www.goapr.com/news/2018/06/1...witching-sale/
    18' B9 P+ Black/Brown
    **TBD
    In Remembrance:

AZ Member #

To be fair im getting my B9 thursday or friday this week. @$699 for APR more then likely i wont spend that on just tune for leased vehicles. That being said, some guys using JB4 Map6 custom logs, on the AudiWorld forums with a few bolts on are producing #s in both 0-60, 1/8ths and 1/4s that are quiet ridiculous for the 2.0t. Sure those are aggressive mappings but i believe i may go that route @ <$500 + bolt ons other mods i can spend what i would with APR tune, get better or similar at worst result +sound. I am huge APR fan boy so it pains me... but money talks..
    18' B9 P+ Black/Brown
    **TBD
    In Remembrance:

AZ Member #

To be fair im getting my B9 thursday or friday this week. @$699 for APR more then likely i wont spend that on just tune for leased vehicles. That being said, some guys using JB4 Map6 custom logs, on the AudiWorld forums with a few bolts on are producing #s in both 0-60, 1/8ths and 1/4s that are quiet ridiculous for the 2.0t. Sure those are aggressive mappings but i believe i may go that route @ <$500 + bolt ons other mods i can spend what i would with APR tune, get better or similar at worst result +sound. I am huge APR fan boy so it pains me... but money talks..
    I have my 034 P34 CAI installed with my Burger JB1 and it's like driving a completely new car. Much better acceleration, and the speed through the higher gears is nuts. CAI is a little noisy, but they typically are. The good thing is, if you stay out of boost you wouldn't be able to tell that the car has been touched.

AZ Member #

I have my 034 P34 CAI installed with my Burger JB1 and it's like driving a completely new car. Much better acceleration, and the speed through the higher gears is nuts. CAI is a little noisy, but they typically are. The good thing is, if you stay out of boost you wouldn't be able to tell that the car has been touched.
    Any chance you recorded any spirited runs with Dragy? This was exactly what im looking for and thinking i mean JB1 +CAI = price of APR @$700.00.... thank you very much!

PS posting pics got her on Friday!
    18' B9 P+ Black/Brown
    **TBD
    In Remembrance:

AZ Member #

Any chance you recorded any spirited runs with Dragy? This was exactly what im looking for and thinking i mean JB1 +CAI = price of APR @$700.00.... thank you very much!

PS posting pics got her on Friday!
    No I haven't. Car only has 650 miles on it so I haven't fully gotten on it.

AZ Member #

No I haven't. Car only has 650 miles on it so I haven't fully gotten on it.
    Understandable! Congrats as well! If you do shoot em over to me in due time few questions if you have a moment:

1/ Why p34 over other CAI options?
    2/ JB1 is standard map correct?
    3/ If you're knowledgeable enough- JB4 would allow for tweaks VIA LOGS to incorporate the increase air flow via CAI, and or other supporting mods?
    4/ How was install for you / hows your mechanical ability?
    18' B9 P+ Black/Brown
    **TBD
    In Remembrance:

AZ Member #

Understandable! Congrats as well! If you do shoot em over to me in due time few questions if you have a moment:

3/ If you're knowledgeable enough- JB4 would allow for tweaks VIA LOGS to incorporate the increase air flow via CAI, and or other supporting mods?
    I can chime in on 2 and 4 for this because I owned a JB1 before I went APR. Yes it is the standard map.

The JB1 install is crazy easy. The only somewhat difficult parts are getting the original sensors out to replace with the JB1 ones. I think with almost no prior car experience, it wouldn't be that much of a hassle to install.

AZ Member #

I can chime in on 2 and 4 for this because I owned a JB1 before I went APR. Yes it is the standard map.

The JB1 install is crazy easy. The only somewhat difficult parts are getting the original sensors out to replace with the JB1 ones. I think with almost no prior car experience, it wouldn't be that much of a hassle to install.
    So im leaving a B8.5 W/ APR and huge fan of it, is JB1 inferior where it justifies paying a $400 premium for APR? Granted new engine, little more power but all in all?

And thanks i am decently mechanically inclined- good to know.
    18' B9 P+ Black/Brown
    **TBD
    In Remembrance:

AZ Member #

1) I liked the sound (from what I heard from clips), and overall opinion is that it is a well made intake with decent gains. Also, someone was selling one used, and as this is a lease I didn't want to pay full price.
    2) Yes it is the standard map (I also bought it used, but I assume it is standard)
    3) I opted against JB4 due to having to splice one of the stock wires as well as having to run another cable - I didn't want to deal with the hassle.
    4) I have done basic installs on all of my cars (Intake, BPV/BOV, Turbo Inlet), but even with no mechanical experience the install is fairly straight forward. Initial install took me about 30 mins. I uninstalled and reinstalled the next day (to test myself) and was able to do it in <10 mins.

AZ Member #

So im leaving a B8.5 W/ APR and huge fan of it, is JB1 inferior where it justifies paying a $400 premium for APR? Granted new engine, little more power but all in all?

And thanks i am decently mechanically inclined- good to know.
    Dollar per HP, they are just about the same. $400 for a JB1 with ~40 gains on 91 octane. $699 for APR for ~65 gains. Undoubtedly the APR solution is more intricate, but for those not willing to risk a definite TD1 and still wanting to scratch the itch for more power, the JB1 is great.

AZ Member #

Dollar per HP, they are just about the same. $400 for a JB1 with ~40 gains on 91 octane. $699 for APR for ~65 gains. Undoubtedly the APR solution is more intricate, but for those not willing to risk a definite TD1 and still wanting to scratch the itch for more power, the JB1 is great.
    Thanks i appreciate all the replies - as i think i stated above i too am leased and probably trying to be in same boat as you... don't be surprised if our builds play out quiet similarly.
    18' B9 P+ Black/Brown
    **TBD
    In Remembrance:

AZ Member #

Thanks i appreciate all the replies - as i think i stated above i too am leased and probably trying to be in same boat as you... don't be surprised if our builds play out quiet similarly.
    Godspeed! If it doesn't quite scratch the itch fully, there is always the APR Plus route. It costs a pretty penny more but at least they will warranty the internals and power train should it go zoom, zoom, boom.

AZ Member #

Godspeed! If it doesn't quite scratch the itch fully, there is always the APR Plus route. It costs a pretty penny more but at least they will warranty the internals and power train should it go zoom, zoom, boom.
    Yea thats true i wouldn't ever spend that on a lease... would have just bit the bullet and went S4... but if only we can get someone to tune in here on the Revo for b9s... price point smack in middle.. performance IS RAUCOUS!
    18' B9 P+ Black/Brown
    **TBD
    In Remembrance:

AZ Member #

Yea thats true i wouldn't ever spend that on a lease... would have just bit the bullet and went S4... but if only we can get someone to tune in here on the Revo for b9s... price point smack in middle.. performance IS RAUCOUS!
    Hey, just realizing you're from Morristown. I just moved from Sparta down to Georgia. Small world.

Back to the thread: Just went to the drag strip last night for the first time since APR. Running 93 octane, 13.2 1/4 mile @ 101 mph. Not a bad showing. Phone measured 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, but I'm thinking it was faster than that because the phone also showed 13.5 seconds @ 100 for the 1/4.

AZ Member #

Hey, just realizing you're from Morristown. I just moved from Sparta down to Georgia. Small world.

Back to the thread: Just went to the drag strip last night for the first time since APR. Running 93 octane, 13.2 1/4 mile @ 101 mph. Not a bad showing. Phone measured 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, but I'm thinking it was faster than that because the phone also showed 13.5 seconds @ 100 for the 1/4.
    Hey Alex, i'm up in Sparta - well lake Mohawk free frequently (wife is from Sussex), i believe Porto is the restaurant up there i go to as well as a few of the bars i think its called Crows - might be with a "K". Those are good numbers, who did your tune? You lease or purchased A4? What you drive previously
    18' B9 P+ Black/Brown
    **TBD
    In Remembrance:

AZ Member #

Hey Alex, i'm up in Sparta - well lake Mohawk free frequently (wife is from Sussex), i believe Porto is the restaurant up there i go to as well as a few of the bars i think its called Crows - might be with a "K". Those are good numbers, who did your tune? You lease or purchased A4? What you drive previously
    Wow crazy. Il Porto and Krogh's. Great places.

I had my local APR dealer down here install it (as well as resonator delete and rear sway bar). It's a purchased, so I'm more inclined to modify it how I prefer than if I leased it. I came from a 2006 A8, so I'm in heaven with all this power.

AZ Member #

Wow crazy. Il Porto and Krogh's. Great places.

I had my local APR dealer down here install it (as well as resonator delete and rear sway bar). It's a purchased, so I'm more inclined to modify it how I prefer than if I leased it. I came from a 2006 A8, so I'm in heaven with all this power.
    Yea great food at Il Porto and yea Kroghs good brews and wings if i recall. I had RSW do my b8.5 and loved my APR but $700 so steep if you look at it over 36 month lease.

You have sound clip with Res Delete?

Some day i hope to float in a A8L.
    18' B9 P+ Black/Brown
    **TBD
    In Remembrance:

AZ Member #

Yea great food at Il Porto and yea Kroghs good brews and wings if i recall. I had RSW do my b8.5 and loved my APR but $700 so steep if you look at it over 36 month lease.

You have sound clip with Res Delete?

Some day i hope to float in a A8L.
    I've been meaning to make a video of the new res delete but haven't had a chance yet. It sounds 50x better than stock, no doubt. I have a video of the drag which you can kind of hear the exhaust. I'll put it on YouTube and post the link.

Yeah, the A8 was amazing for comfort. Trunk was huge, but seats didn't fold down, so I prefer the A4 for that. But it was loaded. Air suspension and all the bells and whistles (which are pretty much all standard now). But I digress.

AZ Member #

Here's the link to the drag: https://youtu.be/OLjUae64eYk

AZ Member #

I've been meaning to make a video of the new res delete but haven't had a chance yet. It sounds 50x better than stock, no doubt. I have a video of the drag which you can kind of hear the exhaust. I'll put it on YouTube and post the link.

Yeah, the A8 was amazing for comfort. Trunk was huge, but seats didn't fold down, so I prefer the A4 for that. But it was loaded. Air suspension and all the bells and whistles (which are pretty much all standard now). But I digress.
    true boat... ill be on look out for res delete clip. Drag clip is a nice run! Decent times too! What rpm about you launching at (assuming brake boost)
    18' B9 P+ Black/Brown
    **TBD
    In Remembrance:

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

How is it? I'm looking at it for my 2017 Allroad. Does it remove the throttle lag? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by misanorotrs4 View Post
    I have some bolt on mods:
    - 034 P34 intake
    - 034 High Flow Racing Cat
    - AWE Track Exhaust

Running Neuspeed power module piggyback. Have an appointment for Dyno this Tuesday, will gladly share results on the forum. Being a prior Audi employee, donít risk a TD1 with a flash, itís hit and miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    How is it? I'm looking at it for my 2017 Allroad. Does it remove the throttle lag? Thanks.

AZ Member #

true boat... ill be on look out for res delete clip. Drag clip is a nice run! Decent times too! What rpm about you launching at (assuming brake boost)
    Our cars have launch control man! Although I canít get it to engage reliably all the time.