Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings AdrianLee's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A6 TDi (other semi-daily), 2012 Audi A4 Avant, 2015 Audi Q5 TDi (Wife's Daily)

K04r APR tuned with Red Top Coil Packs or No Red Top Coil Packs

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    After installing my K04r from JH Motorsport, I've been going back and forth about whether or not to keep my Red Top Coil Packs installed on my Allroad. I know a lot of people on here swear by these Red Tops being way better than stock but are they really? Not knowing much on how the mechanics of Coil Packs work other than they generate the electricity needed for spark to ignite fuel, I made some phone calls to the people who tune and install hardware on our cars. I'll use the specific 2 for what I have installed as reference which are JH Motorsport and APR. After speaking with Dru at JH and I can't remember his name at APR, both have confirmed that the OEM Stock Coils (07K905715F) are best for the tune and equipment installed. This is due to the difference in Dwell Time, and Dru, at JH, said power could and most likely will be lost using the Red Top Coils since APRs tune was due with OEM Stock Coil dwell times. APR also confirmed their tune was created with OEM Stock Coils and Red Tops made no difference when installed but could not confirm whether power was lost or not. So, I will be installing my stock coils back on my allroad for now to see if there is a difference. I figured I'd share what I have learned in case someone else is curious
    2012 Audi A4 Avant with a 2014 Audi A5 2.0L Motor, APR Stage 2, APR High Flow Cat/Downpipe, ECS intercooler, Bilstein Cup Kit, Eurocode Silicon Hose Kit, aFe Pro-Dry Drop In, ECS Front Swaybar Links, Megan Racing Rear Swaybar, S4 Front Swaybar, A5 Sport Seats, R8 Coils

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Any notable issues?

Wondering if there be any issues in winter...

Veteran Member Four Rings KFizz's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yea I'm curious to see how this turns out. I was under the impression red tops we're better period. Regardless of whether the car was tuned.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Kyle
    2014 a4 Allroad /// Ibis, Unpainted Lowers (True AR)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A6 TDi (other semi-daily), 2012 Audi A4 Avant, 2015 Audi Q5 TDi (Wife's Daily)

So, after some seat time and mileage on the stock coils, there wasn't really any change in the butt dyno, but I would have to actually swap them on a real dyno to actually see. I'm just going with what APR and JH Motorsport both recommend right now, and that's the OEM allroad coils, which are part #07K905715G (the newest revision). Car is running great on them, also, I swapped plugs to Bosch 7403-FR5DTC plugs based on JH Motorsports and Jim (a4 Centaur) recommendation which, I feel, made a huge difference in how smooth the car is, especially under heavy load and full throttle (I was having some hesitation at peak boost at full throttle and these fixed my issue). I am loving this K04 setup though.
    2012 Audi A4 Avant with a 2014 Audi A5 2.0L Motor, APR Stage 2, APR High Flow Cat/Downpipe, ECS intercooler, Bilstein Cup Kit, Eurocode Silicon Hose Kit, aFe Pro-Dry Drop In, ECS Front Swaybar Links, Megan Racing Rear Swaybar, S4 Front Swaybar, A5 Sport Seats, R8 Coils

Established Member Two Rings Olde_English's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Singlespeed Specialized Epic Hardtail and Cannondale CAAD 10

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianLee View Post
    So, after some seat time and mileage on the stock coils, there wasn't really any change in the butt dyno, but I would have to actually swap them on a real dyno to actually see. I'm just going with what APR and JH Motorsport both recommend right now, and that's the OEM allroad coils, which are part #07K905715G (the newest revision). Car is running great on them, also, I swapped plugs to Bosch 7403-FR5DTC plugs based on JH Motorsports and Jim (a4 Centaur) recommendation which, I feel, made a huge difference in how smooth the car is, especially under heavy load and full throttle (I was having some hesitation at peak boost at full throttle and these fixed my issue). I am loving this K04 setup though.
    What kind of hesitation did you have? I am having some trouble since I went K04. Around 4k rpm theres some sort of hesitation. My car guy has been emailing APR about it but I haven't heard anything for a little while.
    Heres a video of what mine is doing. Is yours similar? Maybe it could be the plugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgA9IYjKZdM
    Last edited by Olde_English; 07-17-2018 at 12:04 PM.
    2009 METEOR GREY B8 A4 AVANT | JHM K04-R | AWE TUNING | APR DP/HFC | GFB DV+ | LUFT-TECHNIK INTERCOOLER | LUFT-TECHNIK INTAKE

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Same thing I had, is it at wide open throttle?

AZ Member #

I switched to Red tops after having misfiring issues on my b5. Was told after the swap that they

are actually the same as stock coils and provide no improvements whatsoever. All I know

is my car doesn't misfire anymore
    Current Car : 2001 B5 A4 Avant 2.0 stroker Big Turbo [400hp Build]
    Passed Cars : 2001 ZO6 w/ bolt ons [406whp/ 398 rwtq] :
    1993 RB20det 240sx