Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

3.0 Auxiliary Coolant pump - HOW TO GET IT OUT HELP

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My auxiliary coolant pump started leaking.

I bought a new one off ebay. HOW does one extract that thing?

It's sandwiched between the driver motor mount, crossmember, oil cooler, ac lines, block, and ac compressor.

I've gotten the lower hose fitting off, but can't reach the upper one with any pliers i have to get it loose, nor can
    i get the connector off. i can't get my hands up in there to move it around much either. NOR does it look like
    it will even come out in that tiny space IF i can somehow manage to get it all disconnected. WHATS the trick?

ANYTHING i can think of to make more space is nasty to think about dropping. Motor mount / engine bracket, AC compressor, and sway bar all sound awful to remove.

Any hints or special tools or techniques?

My hands are already fairly small, so i can't see it getting any better unless i can shrink down 1/2 size.
    2004 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0 6sp Ultrasport

Veteran Member Three Rings john_gonzo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Double-jointed needle nose pliers. Available at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. I bought one when I changed the coolant hoses for my Aux pump. Saved the damn day.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Thanks i will pick one of those up. I did manage to get it out without it however, and my procedure was this:

1. Unbolt bracket from block. Remove lower hose by twisting it around a bit so i could get the standard pliers on the hose clamp.
    2. Drain coolant.
    3. Twist around some more so i could reach the bracket to rubber bolt. Remove bracket to give more room.
    4. Twist around even more to get to the connector. Unclip and remove.
    5. Twist it around some more to get to the upper hose connector with a standard plier between sway bar and cross member.
    6. Contort the pump around the oil cooler to remove.

Reverse for install. I had it back in in 5 minutes. It took several hours of trying to remove. I have no idea if any damage to the hoses, but they seemed fine.
    Hopefully the new pump doesn't leak. My old one was leaking at the joint between pump halves.
    2004 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0 6sp Ultrasport