Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Honda s2000

Rotors have a lip? Is this normal

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Is it normal to have a lip around the rotors after a couple thousand miles. Iím sure the random squeaks even with new ceramic pads may be caused by this. Iíve given up. I have tried 3 sets of pads and the squeal always comes back and now Iím thinking it must be the rotors.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Senior Member Three Rings Djpeaksd's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Lip for only a couple thousand miles seems abnormal but Im in the same boat as you about the squeal. Just put on new pads only for them to start squealing again, so damn annoying.
    2016 S7 Sepang Blue, Sport, Black Optic, Driver Assistance packages. EPL ECU & TCU tune, 21x10.5 TSW Bathurst wheels, Roc-Euro intake, and resenator delete, OEM RS grille with Quattro script.

Veteran Member Three Rings Alister's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi RS5

What pads are you guys using?

I've just had Disc Italia Hyper Ceramics fitted F+R to my S6 and so far no squealing (using OEM disks/rotors which are around 5k kms / 3k miles old).

Veteran Member Four Rings wwhan's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RevTo9k View Post
    Is it normal to have a lip around the rotors after a couple thousand miles. Iím sure the random squeaks even with new ceramic pads may be caused by this. Iíve given up. I have tried 3 sets of pads and the squeal always comes back and now Iím thinking it must be the rotors....
    It's not the rotors.

If you brake more aggressively the brakes will not squeal.

At 12k miles, my brakes have never squealed.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/po...thing-is-wrong
    2016 S6 Sport, EPL, Eurocode Sways & Endlinks

Veteran Member Four Rings MacFady's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    330i ZHP

Can you confirm that you're bedding them in correctly etc. when you change them.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Skyler@Achtuning's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Chamfering all pad edges may help with squealing, when you're putting the pads back on use a bit of "anti squeal" goo for good measure. Bed in may also help, I have had pads that would squeal under very specific loads when they were new that went away after they wore a bit.

A lip after a few thousand miles seems abnormal, under regular street use you should get about 1mm lip after 50k or so but this depends on pad compound and vehicle use.
    Achtuning is the largest stocking APR and Hartmann dealer in North America!
    Check out our Blog at ACHTUNING.com!
    Facebook.com/ACHTUNING!
    Twitter.com/ACHTUNING!
    Sales@Achtuning.com 1-877-722-4886

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Honda s2000

Thanks guys for all your responses .
    I notice that agressive braking helps with squeal. Just spoke with a Porsche tech today at a dinner party and he said I need to drive the car harder. Itís normal.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Honda s2000

Quote Originally Posted by Djpeaksd View Post
    Lip for only a couple thousand miles seems abnormal but Im in the same boat as you about the squeal. Just put on new pads only for them to start squealing again, so damn annoying.
    Misery loves company. The Porsche master tech I met yesterday reassured itís normal. He said drive the beast hard and you will have less squealing in general. Nothing we can do. Told me to buy a Cadillac if I wanted something quiet. He said so many Porsche owners complain about this and are told the same thing. Now if I was driving a 911 turbo... that looks like something found on the track and wouldnít be embarrassed one bit pulling up to a Honda Accord making noises!