Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Need help fast!! Slipped CV Axel?!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Im about to buy a B5 S4 with 130k miles for $3k. The owner hit a bad pothole and broke the ball joint, upper control arm, and CV axel. He bought all new parts (upper control arm, ball joint and CV axel) and installed it himself. He said when he put the car back on the ground it wouldn't move when in gear. He says he thinks the CV Axel slipped out of the transfer case. Would this be a simple fix, or should I look elsewhere? I just don't want to buy this car and it be a much bigger problem than what he's saying. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!

AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Well these cars donít have a transfer case. The cv bolts right to the flange on the transmission. Sounds like a bad axle or an improper install to me. If you end up buying it, throw that aftermarket axle in the trash and buy a used OEM one or get Raxles

2001.5 Silver S4 Avant - 6spd swap + BW K04s (Current)
    2001.5 Santorin S4 Sedan - SRM k24 build (Totaled)

IG: CJ_s4

Veteran Member Three Rings b6a4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Saw this car on cl. Let us know how it turns out. Iím local if you need shop recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________
    2007 BMW 335i Montego FBO+Meth
    2009 Audi A4 Avant. Ibis.
    2003 B6 A4 Quattro -APR bits (sold)

Veteran Member Four Rings CELison's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If he installed the axle he would know it canít slip out. It bolts to the trans on thereís a big ass bolt on the wheel side that keeps the axle in the hub.

AZ Member #

[QUOTE=b6a4;13153684]Saw this car on cl. Let us know how it turns out. Iím local if you need shop recommendations.

Awesome dude, I'm getting either Monday or Tuesday. Excited for this!

AZ Member #

So what do you think could be wrong? I went and saw the car the other day, the LF wheel and the RR wheel were spinning (it was up on 4 jack stands) but the FR wheel (the one that hit the pothole and broke) was NOT spinning and the LR wheel was also NOT spinning. You could see the FR cv Axel trying to catch but it just wouldn't.

AZ Member #

Thereís no trying to catch. Itís either bolted in, or it isnít. If itís got bolts through it, got splines on it, and is still in 1 piece, itís going to turn the wheel. Can you spin the wheel by hand? Go look under the car and see whatís going on.

Established Member Four Rings JustManson's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by CELison View Post
    Thereís no trying to catch. Itís either bolted in, or it isnít. If itís got bolts through it, got splines on it, and is still in 1 piece, itís going to turn the wheel. Can you spin the wheel by hand? Go look under the car and see whatís going on.
    Exactly that!

AZ Member #

The wheel spins by hand. When I pull the clutch out in first gear you can see the LF and RR wheels spin. But the other two do not.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 828_S4 View Post
    The wheel spins by hand. When I pull the clutch out in first gear you can see the LF and RR wheels spin. But the other two do not.
    That is entirely normal, they are open front and rear diffs.

Any drag in the brakes can stop them, if you push them to start them by hand they will usually go or if you hold onto them and feel them trying to turn even a little they are connected. (ETA.. this is the "trying to catch" you are seeing/feeling)

Since the car is on jack stands turn each wheel if you see the trans flange turning its bolted up period end of story.

IF they were actually disconnected then you likely would not see the LF and RR wheels spinning at all since the flange would have less resistance and that is what would spin before it moved the opposing wheel.
    80 rabbit pickup, 98 TJ 4bt cummins, 00 180TTQ 6spd, 02 Freelander, 03 Allroad 2.7t 6spd swap now with K04s, 06 A3 2.0T w/GT3071R (2012 JSW TDI and 2015 GSW TDI now in TDI purgatory )

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by b6a4 View Post
    Iím local if you need shop recommendations.
    sounds like he does....
    80 rabbit pickup, 98 TJ 4bt cummins, 00 180TTQ 6spd, 02 Freelander, 03 Allroad 2.7t 6spd swap now with K04s, 06 A3 2.0T w/GT3071R (2012 JSW TDI and 2015 GSW TDI now in TDI purgatory )

Veteran Member Four Rings ActiveMonkey's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    3 B5 S4s

I would just swap the axle he did. One time I was too aggressive prying the front hub to get the axle back in that I fucked it up some how. I went to drive the car thinking I was all done and NOPE. Felt like the whole car was in neutral despite being in 1st.

Replaced my botched axle and everything worked fine.

Veteran Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 3 S4, E46 M3
    Items for Sale

Thereís no "trying to catch". Itís either bolted in, or it isnít. If itís got bolts through it, got splines on it, and is still in 1 piece, itís going to turn the wheel. Can you spin the wheel by hand? Go look under the car and see whatís going on.
    You can screw up the inner CV install resulting in the bearing assembly coming apart and having no power transfer. I did this once. Drove it out of the garage for about 1500 ft- albeit with a noise from the CV, and then the joint came apart completely and thus lost ability to move (despite both ends of the axle being bolted in).
    -Hayden

AZ Member #

Idk, Iíve put a lot of axles in and out of b5s. I donít see how you could butcher it that bad, but I guess it happens

Veteran Member Four Rings ActiveMonkey's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    3 B5 S4s

Idk, Iíve put a lot of axles in and out of b5s. I donít see how you could butcher it that bad, but I guess it happens
    I have as well but shit just happens. especially when there is a lot of pulled pork and beer.

AZ Member #

Did a turbo swap rippin OG 4 lokos and cheddar chips. No way that car still runs.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
    sounds like he does....
    Second!!!

AZ Member #

Shop recommendations would be awesome!!!

AZ Member #

Hello Google!

IMG_6904.jpg

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Of all the cars Iíve posted in the Official Craigslist Thread, that one appeared to be the best bang for the buck. If I was closer, I would have nabbed it myself. Even researched the issue a bit, but there doesn't seem to be any info on it. Probably something easy to fox/replace. Good luck!!

Veteran Member Three Rings b6a4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Eurotecknik Hendersonville.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________
    2007 BMW 335i Montego FBO+Meth
    2009 Audi A4 Avant. Ibis.
    2003 B6 A4 Quattro -APR bits (sold)