Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Need Help Deciding on Accent Color!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi guys,

So I bought a moonlight blue B8.5 S4 a few months back, and i am stuck on how to compliment the color. On my 01 S4 which was white, I did gunmetal wheels, trim, and blue brakes. My interior is black and white leather and it is not black optic. I started looking into swapping out my aluminum trim for carbon trim though someone like Ocarbon, or the place over in Germany that will do any color you want. Problem is for the interior, gauge surround, mirrors, etc it quickly added up to 3K+... I decided that for a few hundred in material I can carbon skin my own parts and it'll come out pretty good to the naked eye. I work construction and run a detail shop on weekends, so I'm not concerned about the skinning. please review the two options below and let me know what you think. I do NOT want the car to come looking awful. I plan on keeping the stock wheels for a year or so, doing the quattro style RS grille, and spacers for mods. I also plan on doing the carbon spoiler at some point and will color it depending on the options below

Option One

Interior
    • Door trim - Carbon fiber blue reflections
      Gauge Surround - Same as above
      Door handles - gunmetal
      Center console trim - same carbon as above
      Center console tunnel - Plain carbon.

Exterior
    • Mirrors - Plain carbon
      Window trim - gloss black
      badges - gunmetal with yellow accent
      Wheels - gunmetal
      Calipers - yellow
      Piano black door trim - plain carbon
      Grille surround - plain Carbon
      Audi rings - gunmetal
      fog light single trim piece - plain carbon

Option Two

Interior
    • Door trim - Carbon fiber copper reflections
      Gauge Surround - Same as above
      Door handles - leave stock
      Center console trim - same carbon as above
      Center console tunnel - Plain carbon.

Exterior
    • Mirrors - carbon fiber copper reflections
      Window trim - gloss black
      badges - Autodip dark metallic copper with black accent
      Wheels - autodip dark metallic copper
      Calipers - black with S4 decal
      Piano black door trim - carbon fiber copper reflections
      Grille surround - carbon fiber copper reflections
      Audi rings - autodip dark metallic copper - possibly the copper carbon
      fog light single trim piece - copper carbon fiber

I may be interested in doing the blue interior with the copper exterior if people think it would't clash too bad!

Thanks!
    2015 Moonlight Blue P+ | 6 Speed | Panda Leather

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Have you got any pictures of the different types of carbon youíre referring to? Also, Iím trying to return my interior trim inserts with carbon so Iíd be interested in following this and seeing your process - Iíve almost done one insert (the dash one) and it wasnít as easy as I had hoped, the hard bit seemed to be trying to stick the carbon fibre down with tape when wrapping around the back of the insert. For a first try at carbon skinning I think I did ok but itís not perfect for sure.

Thatís with real carbon fibre though, Iím not sure if youíre talking a wrap like di-noc or whatever itís called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by meph137 View Post
    Have you got any pictures of the different types of carbon youíre referring to? Also, Iím trying to return my interior trim inserts with carbon so Iíd be interested in following this and seeing your process - Iíve almost done one insert (the dash one) and it wasnít as easy as I had hoped, the hard bit seemed to be trying to stick the carbon fibre down with tape when wrapping around the back of the insert. For a first try at carbon skinning I think I did ok but itís not perfect for sure.

Thatís with real carbon fibre though, Iím not sure if youíre talking a wrap like di-noc or whatever itís called.

I will add pics later after work. However, Yes this is all the true carbon fiber fabric. The process I will be following is going to be to use an epoxy and once it is tacky, place the fabric on top. If that doesn't work, I'll use the tackifier.

https://compositeenvisions.com/compo...RoCRncQAvD_BwE

This is the site I bought everything from. I got the blue starter kit to tinker with first. The reflections carbon is pricey, so I'm not looking to waste it.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Oh wow the reflections stuff looks lovely, love that itís a small strip of the accent colour - the stuff I got was from easy composites and was the red and black twill but itís much more red than the reflections stuff youíve sent.

Prices are in dollars though, so youíve paid import duty from the states I guess on top of the prices?

I went with epoxy too, easy composites have a very good guide. What inserts do you have right now - aluminium or plastic? The bond strength can be an issue with plastics it seems.

AZ Member #

I have the aluminum trim. Im sure your epoxy is similar, but it should be a 2 part with a hardener and if temps are too low, itíll have a hard time bonding. It also may not have been sanded down and cleaned well enough? Iíve got the sample pack at home of all the reflection line. Iíll add pics later, but there is also a full article on rennlist if someone who did the red reflections on a cayman trim. As for taxes I did not, since myself and the company are based in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ct-thread.html

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro; 2010 Acura RDX (my wife's vehicle)

2014 Monsoon Gray S4 Prem+ | S-Tronic | LH Magma Nappa leather interior | Carbon Atlas inlays | Sports Diff | Adaptive Damping suspension | 19Ē peelers | MMI Nav | Bang & Olufsen | tints | VAG COM mods via OBDeleven | Autostyle Mats

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by casablancab5 View Post
    I have the aluminum trim. Im sure your epoxy is similar, but it should be a 2 part with a hardener and if temps are too low, itíll have a hard time bonding. It also may not have been sanded down and cleaned well enough? Iíve got the sample pack at home of all the reflection line. Iíll add pics later, but there is also a full article on rennlist if someone who did the red reflections on a cayman trim. As for taxes I did not, since myself and the company are based in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ct-thread.html
    Hilarious. I assumed this was a post on a UK site, I guess thatís what tapatalk does for me!

You guys are lucky with your choice of cool carbon :)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 S4, Orange B5 Avant

Ocarbon are scammers, do not send that shit head money.
    2011 S4 6mt Black/ Magma/ Carbon
    HRE ff01 | Rotiform ind-t | AWE Touring | P3 | Roc Euro | PLM | Eurocode Sways | Apr Stage 2 | H&R Sport | Q5 ECS Wave F/R | CR15 | AK | Eurocode Inserts | 034 subframe Inserts | Ecs Carbon Diffuser | JHM CP | ECS Short Shifter |

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tar View Post
    I wasnít going to. Itís a shame because when I had my B5 he seemed to be doing well. I just listed the name above because itís what got me thinking and I added the link above to show the red reflections

Veteran Member Four Rings jimrobbington's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Forester XT, lawn mower

Post is worthless without pictures

Sent from my SM-G930VC using Tapatalk
    2012 Audi S4 Prestige 6 speed, 034 Stage 1, 034 SC pulley, USP Intake, custom x-pipe exhaust, 034 Trans Mount Insert, 034 Front/Rear Diff Mount Inserts, JHM Stage 3 clutch, JHM LWFW, USP SS clutch line, 034 boost tap, Podi boost gauge

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jimrobbington View Post
    Post is worthless without pictures

Is it possible to add pictures on tapatalk? I have pics on my phone, but canít seem to be able to add pics from safari mobile?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yes, you should see a "button" below where you type in the reply window...

Once you pick the photos, you have to click "send" in the top right corner

2012 Audi S4 Prestige 6 speed, 034 Stage 1, 034 SC pulley, USP Intake, custom x-pipe exhaust, 034 Trans Mount Insert, 034 Front/Rear Diff Mount Inserts, JHM Stage 3 clutch, JHM LWFW, USP SS clutch line, 034 boost tap, Podi boost gauge

AZ Member #

Sorry about all the pics at once. First 2 are of the paint right after I did a full 2 stage correction. Third pic is of the rear badge and emblem with the gunmetal (my plan is to paint the red rhombus yellow). Then there are two pics of the copper 2x2 carbon reflections and two pics of the 2x2 blue reflections.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Honestly, not a fan of all the blue on blue action. Imo, yellow or gunmetal are the best accents for blue

AZ Member #

I also forgot to add this pic. Itís the autodip wheel color id do with the bronze options.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jimrobbington View Post
    Honestly, not a fan of all the blue on blue action. Imo, yellow or gunmetal are the best accents for blue

Blue would only go on the interior. Iím worried the blue would clash. I guess the other option is to go with plain 2x2 carbon and skip all colors.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tar View Post

I worked with Ocarbon a little over a year ago. They were great to me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member Two Rings -unSound's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LTZ

My S5 is moonlight blue also.

If it was my car I would go with option #2. I think copper or bronze colored accents look nicest on the dark blue. Gunmetal looks good too but a bright yellow accent wouldn't be my taste, just my opinion.

Do it so we can see some pics!