Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 S4

MA Car Inspection

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi guys, am curious about how the inspections are now, specifically for cars that are 15+ years old?

I have a 2001 S4 that has been modified. Right now have piggie pipes with a twin 1 exhaust, cats are junk and do not work.
    You can smell it when standing in the back of the car. lol

Do they hook up to the car at all for anything or just do a visual/safety inspection?

Do they check any emissions at all, not even readiness, is this correct?
    Also going to add a afr gauge and tune out the rear O2 sensors along with a different tune.
    Will any of this be an issue?

Do they visually inspect your exhaust for cats and issues?

My cats are junk and do not want to be bothered replacing them for the ridiculous amount they cost.
    Was thinking of tossing on some 200 high flow cats or just straight piping it.
    Was thinking of hollowing out the main cats and putting them over the pipes in their position so it looks like I have cats.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks guys

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 S4

No one has any info or can answer these questions?

You can pm if you don't want to post on here

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 Subaru LGT (HTA71)

Depends on where you go. Just last year they switched to being pretty strict. There are video cameras that live stream which inspectors can view on the other end, but they can't watch them all so that's just bad luck if they watch yours. There's a new computer system. They take pictures of the front end / plate, rear end / plate, and gauge cluster.

I just had my car inspected last week but I'm not all that modified. They hooked up to the OBDII and it does check for the last time it was reset and how many miles and how many starts since the last reset (the numbers were printed on my certificate). I don't think it was hooked up to a sniffer in the tail pipe. He jacked up the front end but it was to check the front suspension components for looseness. I couldn't tell if he looked for a cat at the same time, he might have been able to.

If you look at the laws there isn't supposed to be any modifications to the breather system (intakes or exhausts). I think it depends on where you go to get it inspected if they're going to hold you for it. I wouldn't recommend going an any official dealer (Audi or otherwise) since they're corporate backed so they're more likely to be the most strict.
    > 2015 Glacier White Metallic allroad P+ <> Airlift 3P <> Vossen VFS-2 Satin Bronze <> RS4 FBSW <> BFI Shift Knob <> NGP Rearguard <