Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Radio serial number retrieval

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi guys. I bought a used rnse radio from a guy that was parting out an s4. He gave me the vin but didn't have the owners manual with the radio code. I called AOA and they said I would need the serial number from the radio to get the pin. I looked everywhere on the outside of the radio and there's no serial number to be found. So I did some digging and I saw that some guys said the serial number could be retrieved via vagcom scan tool. So I called my nearest Audi dealer and they pretty much told me that the only way they would be able to get the serial number is if it were on the outside. My question would be is this true and if not would it be possible with the Ross-tech software to retrieve it? I saw on eBay that there's cables and programs you can rent. Would this be the correct way of going about this?

Veteran Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 3 S4, E46 M3

Have you tried powering it on? If it's on a later software version, it will display the AUZ (serial) number on the lock screen. Otherwise, yes it can absolutely be retrieved via VCDS. A dealer giving out bad information, as per usual; color me shocked..

Open the navigation module in VCDS, then "Advanced ID" and it will display the serial number.
    -Hayden

Active Member Two Rings bellinghampster's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 Avant 6mt, Yamaha Zuma 2t 70cc

Yeah, it's pretty straightforward with the Rosstech vagcom. You'll need to connect both the Vagcom and RNSE into the car, then use vagcom to go into radio settings and info (or something). Once you're in there you'll want to find the AUZ number, which is the serial number that AoA needs to find the radio code. If you don't have a vagcom, I definitely suggest buying one. They're super worth it.

*edit* ↑ what he said

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Yeah I powered it up and there's no serial number where it would be on later models. I actually do have a cable that I ordered online but the install disc was broken when it arrived. I installed the basic vcds program but didn't register the cable. I tried getting the cable to work with my car but it doesn't read anything..... would this be because I don't have the cable registered yet?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

If I got hex-can what else would I need?

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Can you read the engine module?

If you can't access just Module 56-Radio, are you sure the k-Line pins have been swapped from the Symphony 2+ location to the RNS-E location?

Last bit, I believe the latest RNS-E software will display the Serial AUZ below, the PIN entry screen, however that doesn't help if you don't have the latest software. VCDS can read the serial when you access the radio module and then you can call AoA and get the PIN, but you can use your own VIN, it doesn't have to come from the originating car.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant)
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile with new timing chains
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

The serial number is stamped on the side of the stereo unit. You need to slide it out in order to see it. Three options here: 1. Buy the removal keys online for $5 or so and remove the stereo yourself. 2. Pay your local audio guy $10 to use his keys and remove the radio. 3. See the video below to fabricate your own keys.

https://youtu.be/XqNvhGTyT4c

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by KJack View Post
    The serial number is stamped on the side of the stereo unit. You need to slide it out in order to see it. Three options here: 1. Buy the removal keys online for $5 or so and remove the stereo yourself. 2. Pay your local audio guy $10 to use his keys and remove the radio. 3. See the video below to fabricate your own keys.

https://youtu.be/XqNvhGTyT4c
    Iíve never seen it stamped on the unit.

Also read the OP.
    -CP
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Charles.waite View Post
    Iíve never seen it stamped on the unit.

Also read the OP.
    I see it on mine. See photo. Also, for whatever reason I mistakenly thought the OP was saying that he couldnít see it stamped on the face of the radio when he said ďthe outsideĒ.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by KJack View Post
    I see it on mine. See photo. Also, for whatever reason I mistakenly thought the OP was saying that he couldnít see it stamped on the face of the radio when he said ďthe outsideĒ.

Ah, I see. RNSE. My mistake. Sorry about the confusion.

Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

option c .. call the guy parting out the S4 and ask him if the radio code is written on the option sticker ( many mechanics do this )
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    option c .. call the guy parting out the S4 and ask him if the radio code is written on the option sticker ( many mechanics do this )
    Thatís definitely possible. Though in my b6 it was a sticker in the back of the stereo manual booklet.
    -CP

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Yeah I've looked all over the outside of the unit, asked the guy to send me the picture of the option sticker and it wasn't on there either. Also isn't on the display under the pin entry. My new cable and instal disc should be here today. I may need some help figuring out how to use it.

Veteran Member Three Rings Osher67's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If you can plug into original car and put in engineering mode it will tell you the serial number.

I'm going to have this same issue with a unit I purchased from a salvage yard. I have to go back plug it in to the original car to get the serial number.

Not too sure if engineering mode works with the unit locked or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Josh
    🇩🇪

2002 01A Quattro
    K04-15 (Unitronic)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Osher67 View Post
    If you can plug into original car and put in engineering mode it will tell you the serial number.

I'm going to have this same issue with a unit I purchased from a salvage yard. I have to go back plug it in to the original car to get the serial number.

Not too sure if engineering mode works with the unit locked or not.

I hope that's not the only option because i got it from over 5 hours away and I'm pretty sure the car may be fully parted out

Veteran Member Three Rings Osher67's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Toddyp2004 View Post
    I hope that's not the only option because i got it from over 5 hours away and I'm pretty sure the car may be fully parted out
    Well it's one of them Vcds should be able to see it as well from what I understand.

-Josh
    🇩🇪

2002 01A Quattro
    K04-15 (Unitronic)

AZ Member #

You can update the firmware to the newest version with it pin locked. Then it displays on the bottom of the lock screen. You can find discs on eBay or I can make one for you. Shoot me a PM if youíre interested, the latest map I have is 2015.
    -CP

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

You can update the firmware to the newest version with it pin locked. Then it displays on the bottom of the lock screen. You can find discs on eBay or I can make one for you. Shoot me a PM if youíre interested, the latest map I have is 2015.
    Hey Charles I'm not sure how to pm you. Maybe you could pm me. Because I may need some help doing it and you seem to know what to do. Thanks!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Hey all I got my serial number via vag-com...... now I need the pin. Anyone know how besides calling AOA?

AZ Member #

Hey all I got my serial number via vag-com...... now I need the pin. Anyone know how besides calling AOA?
    Nice! Yea thatís what Iíve always done. Call them and give them your vin and the serial number and they should reply via email or phone. Sometimes the same day but it depends on the rep and how capable they are.
    -CP

AZ Member #

Nice! Yea thatís what Iíve always done. Call them and give them your vin and the serial number and they should reply via email or phone. Sometimes the same day but it depends on the rep and how capable they are.
    Ive done it when iíve lost the code. Not sure what they will do when they find out the radio was not from that car.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

Veteran Member Four Rings klrider44's Avatar
    AZ Member #

eBay. Just find a seller that will get you a radio code. All they ask for is the serial number. Itís only like 6-8 dollars. I did it once before and it worked out fine.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    Ive done it when iíve lost the code. Not sure what they will do when they find out the radio was not from that car.

Itís no different. Iíve gotten codes for a mk2 rms-e, two other RNS-Es and a symphony. They literally do not care, just tell them yours broke and you bought this one online. Radio theft is such a minor issue for a 13 year old platform that I really donít think they care at this point.
    -CP

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by klrider44 View Post
    eBay. Just find a seller that will get you a radio code. All they ask for is the serial number. Itís only like 6-8 dollars. I did it once before and it worked out fine.

AoA is free. Just saying. eBay sellers also provide the service but why pay for something you can get for free?
    -CP

AZ Member #

Itís no different. Iíve gotten codes for a mk2 rms-e, two other RNS-Es and a symphony. They literally do not care, just tell them yours broke and you bought this one online. Radio theft is such a minor issue for a 13 year old platform that I really donít think they care at this point.
    guess that's true... kinda makes the whole program redundant really doesn't it. I cant even remember the last time I heard of a radio theft out of a car. Do they even still do that stuff ?
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Called AOA and gave them the serial and they had the pin within 5 minutes. Radio signal is terrible though. Not sure why. I have to take it back out to hook and run gps cable hopefully something is not plugged in all the way

AZ Member #

Called AOA and gave them the serial and they had the pin within 5 minutes. Radio signal is terrible though. Not sure why. I have to take it back out to hook and run gps cable hopefully something is not plugged in all the way
    yup . bet your antenna board under the rear roof panel is shot. I find these care terrible in this regard in general though.
    2014 A4 2.0TQ Technik
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #

Radio reception is always terrible with retrofitted RNS-E radios. They use a completely different antenna system than the normal radios. The solution is to stop listening to the radio.
    -CP

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Radio reception is always terrible with retrofitted RNS-E radios. They use a completely different antenna system than the normal radios. The solution is to stop listening to the radio.
    That makes sense. The old symphony radio worked great for reception. I have a wireless fm transmitter and that works fine with it so that will have to do.