Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Audi Tire and Wheel Protection

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi,

How many of you have purchased this and have made good use of it? I am leaning towards getting it as my SA said I can back date the purchase as long as I do it within a month of buying the car. It says it covers after market wheels/tires as long as they meet specifications. How is this determined? Any insight would be appreciated. I don't want to get into a situation where i get my winter setup of 18" wheels and blow a tire or rim and they say sorry it's not covered because manufacture specs say they are 19" only or have to be the same size as stock wheels/tires etc.
    Insta: Mattyrs3

Established Member Two Rings TheMysticWizard's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '15 A3 TDI, '14 Q7 TDI Prestige, '06 VW Jetta, '01 Allroad, '87 TransAM

I purchased it when I bought my Q7 (used)

Tried to use it when I got a nail in the shoulder of my tire. Audi (and local tire shops) said the tire would definitely need to be replaced as no one should repair damage in the shoulder of the tread.

Talked to my Audi dealer about it, they told me, quite rudely, to make an appointment (they were booked 3-4 weeks out) and they would have to replace all 4 tires because quattro.

My tires were at 75-80% tread, so they couldn't just replace that one tire and the tire protection plan would only cover the one tire with the nail in it. So basically I bought the tire protection plan and would need to pay close to $1,300 to remedy the situation with a nail in a single tire and replace 3 perfectly good tires with lots of life left.

Boy do I feel taken advantage of. Waste of money buying that plan in this case.

Haven't tried to use it again, haven't needed to.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TheMysticWizard View Post
    I purchased it when I bought my Q7 (used)

Tried to use it when I got a nail in the shoulder of my tire. Audi (and local tire shops) said the tire would definitely need to be replaced as no one should repair damage in the shoulder of the tread.

Talked to my Audi dealer about it, they told me, quite rudely, to make an appointment (they were booked 3-4 weeks out) and they would have to replace all 4 tires because quattro.

My tires were at 75-80% tread, so they couldn't just replace that one tire and the tire protection plan would only cover the one tire with the nail in it. So basically I bought the tire protection plan and would need to pay close to $1,300 to remedy the situation with a nail in a single tire and replace 3 perfectly good tires with lots of life left.

Boy do I feel taken advantage of. Waste of money buying that plan in this case.

Haven't tried to use it again, haven't needed to.
    I have yet to hear of anyone having a good experience with these packages. The goal of the policy administrators seems to be making the client so worn out that they give up on claims. It's not anecdotal, several friends and family have had bad experiences. I've heard enough to know that I'll never purchase this kind of coverage.

AZ Member #

It's more enticing to me with my rs3 because of the low profile tires. On a bigger SUV i doubt i'd bother either. I just want to hear from someone who has a sport model that needs winter tires and went out to get their own "aftermarket" winter wheel/tire setup and had an issue and Audi was able to cover a damaged rim or tire. My dealer isn't giving me a clear answer. They keep saying it's manufacturer specifications.... well all those say is the 19" rims which is dumb because 18" with a higher profile work better for winter and have LESS of a risk of failing due to a pot hole...

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by noswalz View Post
    It's more enticing to me with my rs3 because of the low profile tires. On a bigger SUV i doubt i'd bother either. I just want to hear from someone who has a sport model that needs winter tires and went out to get their own "aftermarket" winter wheel/tire setup and had an issue and Audi was able to cover a damaged rim or tire. My dealer isn't giving me a clear answer. They keep saying it's manufacturer specifications.... well all those say is the 19" rims which is dumb because 18" with a higher profile work better for winter and have LESS of a risk of failing due to a pot hole...
    The obfuscation on their part should be enough to warn you off this 'product'. If you want to find out the hard way that's your choice, but I'd walk away from this coverage. Good luck with your choice.

Active Member Two Rings Sandman626's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Chiming in here since I've had positive experiences with this.
    The first time was the first week of ownership of the car. Stock 18 inch wheels, hit a pot hole and got a flat. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the tire and took care of all the paperwork.
    The second time was on my aftermarket 19s. Hit a pothole so bad the tire had a large crack and bubble and the wheel got bent too. Took it to the dealer, they replaced the one tire, fixed the wheel, and took care of some curb rash I had on another wheel.
    2015 S3 Prestige | Audi Exclusive | Mesh Grille | AWE S-Flo Carbon Intake | APR Turbo Muffler Delete | OEM Sound Enhancing Resonator Delete | Rohana RFX5 Brushed Titanium 19x8.5 +42 | Toyo Proxes 4 Plus 235/35-19

2016 CBR300R | Candy Orange -- Toy

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 S3 Misano Red , 1991 Audi S2 Laser Red, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

I have a 2016 S3 and I hit a pot hole 3 weeks ago and ruined a tire. I was told I needed to drop the car, I live an hour from my dealership and asked for a loaner and they said they wouldn't have one for 2 1/2 weeks. I told them it was unacceptable and I wasn't driving on a donut spare for 2 1/2 weeks. They gave me an appointment the next day after work. It took them 20 minutes to get the approval and I paid for an alignment but the issue was taken care of very quickly.

AZ Member #

Thanks for all replies. Bumping a last time for any other thoughts.

Instagram: mattyrs3

Veteran Member Three Rings Spinnetti's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Its insurance, and insurance is a profit vehicle for the seller. The odds of it paying out in your favor are about the same as going to Vegas - Are you the gambling type? If you can afford the car, surely you can afford a tire. I've had all of 3 flats in nearly 40 years of driving, none of which couldn't be patched. Discount tire will fix them for free too. Wasted money to me.
    2015 S3: Uni Stage 2 ECU/TCU / Most of the 034 chassis and suspension catalog / APR Intake, Turbo inlet and Downpipe / ECS resonator delete / Neuspeed turbo muffler delete & discharge piping / 18x8.5 ET35 255/40
    2008 R8 V8 Manual: Uni 93 ECU tune / Avior Exhaust / 15mm Spacers / R8 Puddle lights / Custom mats
    1991 LS400: Literally every part replaced or modified in some way (24hrs of Lemons car)