Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burningcoals View Post
    Yes, I am testing it using any number of testers that can be purchased online.
    Awesome. Thank you.

Veteran Member Four Rings saxon's Avatar
    AZ Member #

It can get complicated mixing, you need to test the eth content know the numbers and do the math when trying to make say E70. Which is why APR made it easy for everyone, they tuned for e60, so really my e85 pump tests over 80%, so I know I am safe, I just fill it up and forget about it. Of course winter blend I will test, and its always a good idea to fill up a 5G container and test frequently. I also hear its a good idea to run a tank of 92/93 in between e85. I do not plan on running e85 full time.

I think the best way to do it is run near empty, fill the car with a few gallons of e85, enough to make it to the pump, then fill all the way, by the time your all done you will be almost near ready to run the e85 map.
    this is what almost all stage 1 e85 tunes are doing, I cant imagine theyd tune the fueling for e60, most likely the ignition
    Current Ride- 2018 Audi RS3 Glacier White
    Unitronic stage??

Past cars 2010 s4-2012 Nissan GT-R -2014 S6-2016 s3-2015 M3--2011 b8 s4

Account Terminated Two Rings
    AZ Member #

If APR's ethanol tune was calibrated for only E60, then why do they specifically state on their website that you should not mix other fuels with ethanol?

"Do not manually blend with traditional pump fuel or race fuels"

Is it because they don't trust the end user enough to make sure they know what they're doing? For example, not doing their math correctly; not realizing the "E85" at their pump may only actually be E70 (winter blend in certain parts of the country); not realizing how much fuel is actually remaining in their tank when they do their calculations (sometimes when it says 0 miles on the instrument cluster you could have as many as 2 gallons of fuel still in the tank)? Any or all of these things could result in the end user accidentally running less than the minimum E60 required by the tune...

It can get complicated mixing, you need to test the eth content know the numbers and do the math when trying to make say E70. Which is why APR made it easy for everyone, they tuned for e60, so really my e85 pump tests over 80%, so I know I am safe, I just fill it up and forget about it. Of course winter blend I will test, and its always a good idea to fill up a 5G container and test frequently. I also hear its a good idea to run a tank of 92/93 in between e85. I do not plan on running e85 full time.

I think the best way to do it is run near empty, fill the car with a few gallons of e85, enough to make it to the pump, then fill all the way, by the time your all done you will be almost near ready to run the e85 map.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TTRSleeper View Post
    If APR's ethanol tune was calibrated for only E60, then why do they specifically state on their website that you should not mix other fuels with ethanol?

"Do not manually blend with traditional pump fuel or race fuels"

Is it because they don't trust the end user enough to make sure they know what they're doing? For example, not doing their math correctly; not realizing the "E85" at their pump may only actually be E70 (winter blend in certain parts of the country); not realizing how much fuel is actually remaining in their tank when they do their calculations (sometimes when it says 0 miles on the instrument cluster you could have as many as 2 gallons of fuel still in the tank)? Any or all of these things could result in the end user accidentally running less than the minimum E60 required by the tune...
    Because, they're accounting for "winter blend" e85 which is E60 in most places that make the switch. Them saying not to mix is a warning to cover their own asses should someone assume they've mixed e60+ and hasn't.

If you have a eca gauge and can accurately measure ethanol content than mixing up to the recommended ethanol content isn't going to be an issue.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Arin@APR's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TTRSleeper View Post
    E85 at the pump is only ever a maximum of 85% ethanol. It can be into the 50's during winter. E60 is our cut off.

Is it because they don't trust the end user enough to make sure they know what they're doing?
    Yes, that too.

If you know what you're doing, you know what you're doing. Most don't.
    GoAPR.com | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Instagram
    Phone: (800) 680-7921 Local Phone: +1 (334) 502-5181 Fax: +1 (334) 502-5180
    Address: APR LLC, 4800 US HWY 280 West, Opelika, AL 36801

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I heard to use e85 to its full potential, fuel consumption would increase by about 30%

Are the rs3 injectors over engineered to be able to flow that much more fuel?

What's the mpg drop from 93 to e85?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12