Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Three Rings MSq5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

aFe Filter Part Number for Q5 3.0 TFSI

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Will this aFe Pro 5R filter fit our stock air box ('17 Q5 3.0 TFSI engine)?

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...filter-drop-in

There seems to be some confusion about whether our stock air box is the same as on the S4 and S5. My K&N 1987 fits perfectly, so I think the aFe version should fit. Anyone here running it?

I'm considering changing to the aFe version because it has the inverted cone design with open end which should provide more surface area than the K&N with the closed end.

And, yes, I want to oiled cotton and not the dry flow. No need to go there. We do not have a MAF sensor to oil foul. Just want to know if it will fit.
    2017 Q5 3.0T S-Line | Brilliant Black | EPL Stage 2 93 octane tune | JHM 179mm crank pulley | aFe Pro 5R (part#10-10121) filter in "modified" stock air box | 034 silicone throttle body hose

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I have the Dry Flow version (#11-10121) on my TDI which I believe is the exact same dimensions as the oil coated one. Mine fits perfectly.

AZ Member #

Thank you! I hope the diesel airbox is not different. I went ahead and ordered. I'll report on fit once it arrives.
    2017 Q5 3.0T S-Line | Brilliant Black | EPL Stage 2 93 octane tune | JHM 179mm crank pulley | aFe Pro 5R (part#10-10121) filter in "modified" stock air box | 034 silicone throttle body hose

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Yes - it fits. Seems to be better than the K&N, thicker filter material and/or finer (plus the addl surface area, as you mentioned)
    2015 SQ5

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by AdamJ256 View Post
    Yes - it fits. Seems to be better than the K&N, thicker filter material and/or finer (plus the addl surface area, as you mentioned)
    Thank you, sir. It is on it's way. I was just afraid there might be some subtle difference in air box dimensions. Good to know that it will fit. I've had great success and satisfaction with K&N filters for decades on many different vehicles, but they don't have the inverted cone design for our vehicles. I think that has the potential for increased flow and less pressure drop.

The flow difference between the two, if any, may not matter at my power level. You eventually reach a point in which the CFM volume or grams per second air mass flow rate of the filter exceeds the actual flow capability of the throttle body, supercharger and engine tune. I don't know where that is for my current mods and tune. My logs are presently showing a calculated (indirectly measured) max value of 370-380 g/s with the K&N drop in.

We don't have a MAF sensor, so this is a logging software calculated value based primarily on the relationship of boost, barometric pressure, and air temperature, but it is good for comparison purposes.

We'll see if it goes up any.