Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exhaust Nirvana

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresh.S4 View Post
    Nah I'm fine with it for now. I don't go wot enough that it bothers me. I mainly just want to improve the low rpm cruising around town burble
    shouldn't have deleted the baby res.

Veteran Member Four Rings KRp220's Avatar
    AZ Member #

@OP At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Quote Originally Posted by brs2c View Post
    What you say is true, but only to a degree. Exhaust provides gains if it:
    A) Is a shorter and/or straighter route to exit
    B) Has less obstructions (crush bends or cats etc)
    C) Provides an a better diameter of piping to support a particular power level
    D) Does a better job at smoothing exhaust pulses

AWE has demonstrated a 9 horsepower gain on a STOCK vehicle. I would venture to guess that the gains from the AWE are from the x-pipe (D), and maybe a little straighter shots through the mufflers (B). However, this is on a stock vehicle with 2.25" piping, which will support a max flow of 416 bhp. However, something making bigger power, like an Dual Pulley Ultracharged car on 104 octane, making 541 bhp is going to see significantly more of an increase, than what was seen from the stock 333 bhp.
    soild points. can you elaborate on the bold? i'm curious.
    stock exhaust is 55mm actually, which is 2.165"
    CURRENT 2013 S4 // ESTORIL BLUE // 6MT // RS BUMPER // GIAC STG 2+ 3.2 PR // FORGE CC // AWE TOURING // ROC EURO // KW HAS // BC FORGED HCA381-F // PSS 265/30/20 // AK // 034 MOUNTS // SB STAGE 3 CLUTCH // CR 15
    + tints, sports diff, j-codes, Akebono pads, SS clutch line...
    GONE 2010 S4 // QUARTZ GREY // 6MT // GIAC STG2 // AWE TRACK // ROC EURO // 034 TRANS MOUNT // H&R OE's // AG M610 FF 19x8.5 // + random stuff

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by KRp220 View Post
    @OP At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Horsepower is a function of how much air can flow through the engine, and as a result, the exhaust. A certain cross sectional area of exhaust piping can allow a certain amount of air to go through it. Once you get over 400HP, (as stated) the 2.25" piping literally cannot flow enough air through it, and thus becomes a bottleneck.

Check out this video

https://youtu.be/_PVXvHkr-Vs

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Indeed. I am in abject sorrow over my insolence.

Thank you for the correction. You are a god among Audizine members and I bow before the might of your wisdom.

Sconnie

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Morritse View Post
    Horsepower is a function of how much air can flow through the engine, and as a result, the exhaust. A certain cross sectional area of exhaust piping can allow a certain amount of air to go through it. Once you get over 400HP, (as stated) the 2.25" piping literally cannot flow enough air through it, and thus becomes a bottleneck.

Check out this video

https://youtu.be/_PVXvHkr-Vs
    2.5 or 2.25? BRS said 2.25 and you're saying 2.5. it just seems odd that stage 2 has been around for years (400+ hp) and no one has come up with an exhuast greater than 2.5"
    it seems like a very blanket statement thats all
    will check you the youtube video after work. thanks!
    CURRENT 2013 S4 // ESTORIL BLUE // 6MT // RS BUMPER // GIAC STG 2+ 3.2 PR // FORGE CC // AWE TOURING // ROC EURO // KW HAS // BC FORGED HCA381-F // PSS 265/30/20 // AK // 034 MOUNTS // SB STAGE 3 CLUTCH // CR 15
    GONE 2010 S4 // QUARTZ GREY // 6MT // GIAC STG2 // AWE TRACK // ROC EURO // 034 TRANS MOUNT // H&R OE's // AG M610 FF 19x8.5 // + random stuff

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SconnieRoadie View Post

Thank you for the correction. You are a god among Audizine members and I bow before the might of your wisdom.

Sconnie
    do you always talk like you're from ancient Greece?
    its a line from the movie Billy Madison, so it s a joke.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

2.5 or 2.25? BRS said 2.25 and you're saying 2.5. it just seems odd that stage 2 has been around for years (400+ hp) and no one has come up with an exhuast greater than 2.5"
    it seems like a very blanket statement thats all
    will check you the youtube video after work. thanks!
    Hey, I edited my post, you must have responded before I submitted. It is indeed 2.25 inch piping!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

do you always talk like you're from ancient Greece?
    its a line from the movie Billy Madison, so it s a joke.
    He lives in "southern Wisconsin" dude, give the pour soul a break.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Morritse View Post
    g35 coupe? So the engine in like every mid range nissan performance car...

VQs don't sound good, definitely not better than s4 with decent setups
    That's incorrect. Stock g sounds better than stock s4, most would agree.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Audizine mobile app

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mercedesinfarct View Post
    That's incorrect. Stock g sounds better than stock s4, most would agree.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Audizine mobile app
    Lol why are you comparing stock vs stock? Doesn't this further prove my point? Audi obviously designed the s4 to be a luxurious quiet car. Stock s4 doesn't sound like anything on the s4. That was the intent. We are comparing VQ to 3.0TFSI. Not the sound a VQ makes in a stock g35 vs the sound a 3.0t makes in a stock s4.

Established Member Three Rings MSq5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Sconnie
    Perhaps the point being made, lost in your sarcastic response, is that many of us here are over 400 crank horsepower and can obtain real power gains from a more free flowing exhaust. In my case with a Q5, I have an even quieter exhaust than the S4. Nonetheless it seems to flow pretty well up to now, but has been maxed out with me at about 420 crank hp. I am at a point where a better flowing exhaust will show positive dyno gains. But, I don't want it to drone. A more free flowing exhaust along with improved heat exchanger cooling and a "dual pulley" (ratio above 3:1) are in the works. It is a false assumption to conclude that those seeking a better exhaust are just chasing sound.
    2017 Q5 3.0T S-Line | Brilliant Black | EPL Stage 2 93 octane tune | JHM 179mm crank pulley | K&N E-1987 in "modified" stock air box
    034 silicone throttle body hose

AZ Member #

I kind of love the stock S4 exhaust, especially with the soundaktor turned off. I think stage 2 wakes up the exhaust some and most people have dumped the stock by then. It's not loud inside the car but I still enjoy the sounds that it makes. To me it's still a dampened but meaningful euro sound.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I installed the Becker test pipes this week, I didn't think it would have made that big of a difference in the sound of the stock exhaust(empty can). I now need that gone, without changing the performance gains from deleting the CATs. IDEAS?
    2012 Oolong Grey A7 | EPL Stage 2 |
    1999 F150 DD Long bed
    1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 | 415 AWHP | < 100K |
    1990 Eagle Talon TSI | 670 AWHP | AKA "D Beast" |

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Sountaktor is stupid. For the love of god I hope companies figure out how stupid video game engine sound is in a hurry. In my f80 m3 the active sound literally started to give me a headache after long drives in Sport+ mode. Valved exhausts are the best of both worlds. Also, my resonated Milltek sounds amazing - I slightly preferred the overall output of the non-res but it was definitely a little droney and I have a long commute.

You think exhausts are expensive for these cars, the "M" tax on the f80 stuff was staggering.

Established Member Two Rings klquattro's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Ive got the AWE track exhaust, stock DPs on mine. Yes its probably way louder than necessary in all facets of driving and the drone between 2.5k-2.9k RPMs is annoying to the point I wish I would've gotten the touring, but boy oh boy whenever I get on it the smile doesn't leave my face. Then I sometimes get a crackling/backfiring type sound when I let off the gas in gear and it makes me all giddy.

I definitely didn't get that sound with the stock exhaust and the soundaktor is just Audi's way of saying, we know we made a relatively quiet luxury sports car so heres some fake noises to improve your mood. Its not like it effects the exterior volume at all.
    '15 S4 - Mythos Black - 034 Stage 1 - AWE Track Exhaust

Established Member Three Rings DufraineMK6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Monsoon S4 6MT

I'll just leave this right here...

I read all the exhaust note threads and note that people are spending literally thousands of dollars on aftermarket mods. I watch the videos and listen to the modded exhausts. Then I get into my stock exhaust S4 and think to myself, those aftermarket exhausts sound like s*** compared to OEM. Full of rasp, ugly drone, and harsh tone. Maybe just turn up the volume on your soundaktor? If you are dumping large on your exhaust, I bet you have a vagcom.

My position is that tuning an exhaust is no different than an amplifier/speaker hooked up to it, when all is considered. Well, actually, it is different, it cost you thousands. A vagcom is what, $100?

Just sayin'.

Sconnie
    Are you even a car guy or is this really your wife’s car.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    14 S4 6MT - Sport Diff / H&R Street Performance Coilovers / CW Pro Stage 2 (6-1) 93/E85 Mix / JHM 179mm Crank Pulley (1300mm 7 Rib Belt) / ECS Tuning Flush Kit 10mm F & 12.5mm R / 034 Motorsports Intake Tube W/ AFE Pro Dry Filter / USP Stainless Steel Clutch Line / AWE Touring 102mm Stock Downpipes / Eurocode Trans Mount

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by DufraineMK6 View Post
    Are you even a car guy or is this really your wife’s car.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    so to be a car guy is to only have one opinion. got it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12