Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

How difficult is it to maintain default camber with aftermarket suspension?

I previously had a e46 bmw 330xi that had I had dropped on koni sport yellows with H&R springs and a thicker rear sway. It was basically the perfect drop for me but the ride was a bit firm. Even on the softest settings it was just a touch harder than the stock S4 suspension. I strongly suspect that the XI wasn't really engineered to handle any kind of a drop well though, as it would shred the axle boots (known issue) because of the different angle and gave me enough camber that I was always wearing out the inside of my tires, even after alignments.

That said, I'd love a modest drop on the S4 but I really don't want to have to deal with any extra hassle as a result. I'm just wondering if the suspension options for the S4 play any nicer. Is it possible to easily dial in stock camber and are there any other known weak points that fail sooner as a result of a less extreme drop in this car?

Thanks!

Veteran Member Three Rings creativecody's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Just get adjustable upper control arms for the front to allow for greater camber adjustment.
    2013 S4 | IG: @creativecody

APR Stage 2+ (Ultracharger & Dual Pulley) | APR CPS v2 | Milltek Resonated | Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers | Eurocode Alu Kreuz, Front/Rear Sways, Front/Rear Endlinks | Eurocode Transmission & Differential Mounts | SPC Control Arms | Stoptech BBK 380mm (front), Stoptech Rotors/Pads (rear), SS Lines | HRE FF01 19x9.5 et45 | Michelin PSS 265/35/19 | ECS Carbon Fiber

Veteran Member Four Rings Solarsuplex's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

The rear has factory camber adjustment that can be used to maintain your current angles up to a certain amount of lowering. The front will require adjustable upper arms if you wish to adjust the camber.

As for weak points... Axle boots and rubber bushings always take a shit after being put to extreme angles.
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey
    Moonlight Blue - B8.5 S4
    Brilliant Black - B7 A4

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Solarsuplex View Post
    The rear has factory camber adjustment that can be used to maintain your current angles up to a certain amount of lowering. The front will require adjustable upper arms if you wish to adjust the camber.

As for weak points... Axle boots and rubber bushings always take a shit after being put to extreme angles.
    Ah, okay, thanks. Looks like once again, the answer is to basically try and get as close as you can, to the car you want, straight out of the factory. I love this car but I'm looking for fewer hassles than I dealt with modifying my last car so I'll stay mostly hands off. I'll pick up that ECU/TCU tune after the CPO warranty wears off.

So are people really going through axle boots all the time here? Because that's like a 100% guaranteed issue on the e46 xi. You'd tear those axle boots and then eventually the front axles would start clicking because they're not holding the grease anymore and you'd have to replace them. Get some new axles and axle boots and start the process over again.

Veteran Member Four Rings Solarsuplex's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Rectangle View Post
    Ah, okay, thanks. Looks like once again, the answer is to basically try and get as close as you can, to the car you want, straight out of the factory. I love this car but I'm looking for fewer hassles than I dealt with modifying my last car so I'll stay mostly hands off. I'll pick up that ECU/TCU tune after the CPO warranty wears off.

So are people really going through axle boots all the time here? Because that's like a 100% guaranteed issue on the e46 xi. You'd tear those axle boots and then eventually the front axles would start clicking because they're not holding the grease anymore and you'd have to replace them. Get some new axles and axle boots and start the process over again.
    Its just the nature of lowering a vehicle. Those rubber boots are not meant to be doubled or tripled in their daily operating angle. The rubber bushings can be retorqued at the new height but so many forget/neglect to do this and it causes premature wear. If you go for a mild 1" drop I doubt youll hurt much, but what good is a 1" drop...
    -James
    F T W L T B D W I C T W
    Instagram - jamesdrichey
    Moonlight Blue - B8.5 S4
    Brilliant Black - B7 A4

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Solarsuplex View Post
    Its just the nature of lowering a vehicle. Those rubber boots are not meant to be doubled or tripled in their daily operating angle. The rubber bushings can be retorqued at the new height but so many forget/neglect to do this and it causes premature wear. If you go for a mild 1" drop I doubt youll hurt much, but what good is a 1" drop...
    I'd have to do the measurements but I don't think I'd need much MORE than a 1" drop myself. I'm not all about the tucked look, I just like the gap to be nice and symmetrical on the top, relative to the sides of the tire. I think I remember a one or two finger gap on my previous car was alright by me. Just something understated that isn't so hard that it makes it impossible for my wife to do her makeup in the car when I'm driving us somewhere.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 S4, 2012 A3 TDI, 2016 BMW S1000XR, 2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848

Eibach has a set of lowering springs that lower the car only about 3/4" and you can adjust the suspension within stock (barely) specifications without additional hardware. I have been using them for about 3 years and have no issues beyond the expected, slight increase of inside tire wear on the front end. Less issues with steep driveways and speed bumps etc over lower springs. I did drive an S4 with H&R springs and Bilstein's, and that was great. I could notice the extra drop and the Bilstein's were also excellent. I am not sure what was done for suspension alignment in that case.

Veteran Member Four Rings theweebabyseamus's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by oldzmann View Post
    Eibach has a set of lowering springs that lower the car only about 3/4" and you can adjust the suspension within stock (barely) specifications without additional hardware. I have been using them for about 3 years and have no issues beyond the expected, slight increase of inside tire wear on the front end. Less issues with steep driveways and speed bumps etc over lower springs. I did drive an S4 with H&R springs and Bilstein's, and that was great. I could notice the extra drop and the Bilstein's were also excellent. I am not sure what was done for suspension alignment in that case.
    I have the B12 kit that uses the springs hes talking about and it is a mild drop and my alignment is around -1.8* +/-

Veteran Member Three Rings Silver Streakin's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 S4, 2014 Explorer

use very little toe settings and youíll be fine.
    -Jeff
    2011 S4, manual, BB/panda, Sport diff, ADS, B&O | Uni stage 2+ | RocEuro intake | AWE Track & DPs resonated | H&R c/o | 19" VMR 710 & 19" Peelers

FOR SALE: '13 Mini Cooper Paceman S, All4, 6M, 100k CPO. See Non-Audi classifieds.

SOLD 2007 S4 DTM, Phantom Black Pearl, manual | JHM | FI | H&R | VMR | 034

RIP 2001.5 A4 1.8TQMS, Silver/Ebony | APR stage 3 + APR exhaust | STaSIS Tracksports | StopTechs

Veteran Member Four Rings bhvrdr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    997S; Camaro SS; e30 BMW, Toyota FJ

Exactly. Theres no need for adjustable arms and the folks who are so slammed they need them cant use them anyway because if youre that low theyll contact the frame and fuxor it up

Mike

2010 Audi A4 Avant 6AT - Unitronic Tuned - Bone Stock Hardware
    13.665 at 97.71mph - 93 octane - +1250DA
    Gone:
    2013 Audi S5 DSG - Unitronic Stage 2++ ECU & TCU, 3.17pr, Revo Charge Cooler, CTS Turbo Intake, ST60 380mm BBK
    11.482 at 118.70mph - 97 octane - +465DA
    --------------------------
    2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

Senior Member Three Rings USAF_Danny's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Audi S4, 2017 Honda Civic EX

If you need help adjusting the rear camber, let me know. Itís extremely easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YouTube: DV Motions | Instagram: daanny.vu

[]S4 | EPL Stage 2

Senior Member Three Rings ModItNow's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Sounds like you'll be happy with the drop H&R OE sports give. With a good alignment you should be fine on tire wear. If you want more performance and better ride quality pair them with Bilstien shocks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Audizine mobile app