Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Three Rings Ape Factory's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    RS5/Infiniti QX70S stormtrooper

Tires, RS5, lighter weight or latest offering?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I'm pricing out Michelin tires right now for the RS5. I've been thinking of using the older Super Sport, 285/30/20's, in the K1 specification which is for the rears on a Ferrari. It's 24 pounds.

The latest is obviously the Pilot Sport 4S which is 28 pounds in the same size. Now supposedly it offers more even wear, better braking, and better wet weather performance. I've used the Super Sport in the past and never found them lacking. They did increase in noise level with wear but that's to be expected. I was very happy with them.

I'm just thinking four pounds per corner is fairly substantial and it's rotating mass. But the 4S, supposedly better all the way around. My only hesitation with the Super Sport K1 is that it's designed for a lighter car. Yes, they're the rears on the Ferrari and that's where the engine sits but I'd be using them on all four. Also not sure if it has the same, seemingly compliant sidewall as the regular Super Sport. Next to the outright grip of the Super Sport, the compliance was was I found to be most appealing.

Anyone gone from the SS to the S4?
    2013 Audi RS5 Misano Red, 20x10 Klassen ID M10/AWE Tuning Touring Exhaust/Eventuri Intake/Bilstein PSS10/H&R Sways/STERN Upper Control Arms/CR-15 reinforcement bar/ECS Stainless Steel Brake Lines/Apikol Rear Diff Bushing/ECS rear diff inserts/ECS front end links/034 Motorsports subframe inserts/034 Rear End Links/Tranny insert/E-code head & tail lights/Black Lip Spoiler, Red Trim Start Button, black emblems/VCDS.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ape Factory View Post
    I'm pricing out Michelin tires right now for the RS5. I've been thinking of using the older Super Sport, 285/30/20's, in the K1 specification which is for the rears on a Ferrari. It's 24 pounds.

The latest is obviously the Pilot Sport 4S which is 28 pounds in the same size. Now supposedly it offers more even wear, better braking, and better wet weather performance. I've used the Super Sport in the past and never found them lacking. They did increase in noise level with wear but that's to be expected. I was very happy with them.

I'm just thinking four pounds per corner is fairly substantial and it's rotating mass. But the 4S, supposedly better all the way around. My only hesitation with the Super Sport K1 is that it's designed for a lighter car. Yes, they're the rears on the Ferrari and that's where the engine sits but I'd be using them on all four. Also not sure if it has the same, seemingly compliant sidewall as the regular Super Sport. Next to the outright grip of the Super Sport, the compliance was was I found to be most appealing.

Anyone gone from the SS to the S4?
    Not personally, but I have heard very good things about the 4S. People say they are quieter and turn in is slightly sharper than the super sport. This is like comparing gold to gold with gold dust on top, both great but one is just a little flashier and better. I'm on all-weathers right now from the factory, so RIP to me haha.

Veteran Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 3 S4, E46 M3
    Items for Sale

I've run three sets of Super Sports and am now on the 4S. I feel the 4S may have a touch more grip- though that could just be due to coming off of very worn Super Sports- but the grip on both is astonishingly high in the first place, so I'd say the biggest practical differences for a street-driven car are that the 4S is a bit quieter (though I'd never describe the PSS as noisy, except near the end of their life), and that they have slightly improved tread wear.

The K1 spec should be fine from a weight standpoint, as the load rating is 99. However, my understanding is that the "manufacturer spec" tires often have significant differences in compound and construction compared to Michelin's "production-spec".

Here's someone on the M5 forum mentioning that the K1s have a much stiffer sidewall, among other things.

1) The Ferrari "K1" spec tires ARE different compared to the normal non Ferrari tires

2) The "K1" spec starts out with less tread wear. For the 245/35/20 size it starts out with 9/32 tread where as the normal tire is 10/32. Barely any difference but.....the 285/30/20 K1 Ferrari tire starts out at just 7/32 tread where as the normal tire is 10/32. You are basically losing 30% of tread right off the bat to save weight (more on that later).

3) The tread design pattern is the same but the grooves in between the tread columns on the K1 tire is wider. You have to see the tire side by side to see the difference.

4) The K1 Ferrari tire tends to be lighter weight than the normal tire. For the 285/30/20 size the K1 tire is approx 2.6lbs lighter. This doesn't mean its only from shaving down the tread of the tire because the overall diameter of both tires is exactly the same according to Michelin's specs.

5) Now here's the kicker. Since i originally ordered the K1 spec tires for both the front and rear just to find out now that Tirerack also sells the Normal version non K1 tire in the 285/30/20 size, I called to exchange the tires since i haven't mounted them yet. Now that i have both sets of the tires in front of me the K1 tire has a different profile sidewall and is also much stiffer than the normal non K1 tire. The K1 tire's sidewall is more rounded and has more of a stretched look while the normal version is a more traditional blockier sidewall (less stretch look). You can tell just by looking at the tire without them being installed on a wheel. The part that worries me is that the K1 tire will probably have stiffer ride comfort (better handling) compared to the non K1 version. I believe this is due to the K1 tire having a higher speed rating than the normal tire. Not sure.

6) The "K1" tire also cost more. TR has the rear tires for $406 each while the normal version is $359 each for the 285/30/20 size.
    -Hayden

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Wow, that's JUST what I needed to read Hayden, thank you very much. I definitely don't want to save the extra weight through less tread when new. I'll do that myself over time, LOL.

I was curious about straight line grip a while back when I had a RWD car but I don't worry about that as much on the RS5. I'd gone from Bridgestones to the Michelins and the increase in straight line acceleration was fairly small.

Looks like I'll go with the 4S. I can get them for $270/tire at Costco right now with all the discounts. That's about what I paid for my last set of Super Sports in a smaller size (255/40/19's). For a split second, I looked at the new A/S3+ but managed to step away from that insanity.

I really want to see what a compliant sidewall will do for the ride.
    -Michel
    2013 Audi RS5 Misano Red, 20x10 Klassen ID M10/AWE Tuning Touring Exhaust/Eventuri Intake/Bilstein PSS10/H&R Sways/STERN Upper Control Arms/CR-15 reinforcement bar/ECS Stainless Steel Brake Lines/Apikol Rear Diff Bushing/ECS rear diff inserts/ECS front end links/034 Motorsports subframe inserts/034 Rear End Links/Tranny insert/E-code head & tail lights/Black Lip Spoiler, Red Trim Start Button, black emblems/VCDS.

Veteran Member Four Rings JamesRS5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I appreciate the Michelin PSS have always been a firm favourite on here and understandably, Iíve personally used them for on two different VAG car types now and loved them, but let me introduce another dog into this fight:

Continental Sport Contact 6

When I received my 21Ē Vossen wheels I was a little devastated the tire shop didnít have the PSS in stock but the guy assured me he had something better in that size (295/25/21), doubtful to his claims but with no other choice, the Contiís went on.

https://flic.kr/p/WynUby

Iíve not taken them to the absolute limit but Iím pretty sure if you ran these and the PSS back to back youíd be pushed to choose between the two, the contiís having the edge ever so slightly in the conditions I drive in and also slightly quieter.

Iíve not read too many reviews on the contiís that arenít an advertisement for the brand but hereís a back to back review on the two, make note of the last sentence on the RS6

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Contact-6.htm

Worth looking at for the cost saving and performance
    I accept a Stage II tuned S5 is quicker than an RS5
    Doug convinced me
    He's also the reason I don't come here much

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Appreciate it James, I'll take a look at them!
    Michel

Veteran Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 3 S4, E46 M3
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Ape Factory View Post
    Wow, that's JUST what I needed to read Hayden, thank you very much. I definitely don't want to save the extra weight through less tread when new. I'll do that myself over time, LOL.

I was curious about straight line grip a while back when I had a RWD car but I don't worry about that as much on the RS5. I'd gone from Bridgestones to the Michelins and the increase in straight line acceleration was fairly small.

Looks like I'll go with the 4S. I can get them for $270/tire at Costco right now with all the discounts. That's about what I paid for my last set of Super Sports in a smaller size (255/40/19's). For a split second, I looked at the new A/S3+ but managed to step away from that insanity.

I really want to see what a compliant sidewall will do for the ride.
    -Michel
    Glad I could help! Agreed that trading weight for significantly less tread depth doesn't make much sense, other factors aside.

That sounds like a great deal for the 4S in 20". And I was more speaking to lateral grip than straight-line. I'm still amazed by how composed the 4S are when pushed hard. Last weekend I was chasing a new GT350 down the "Diamondback"- 190 curves over 12 miles- in my M3 , and no real squealing/shouting from the 4S even when pushing hard. Just quietly slaying the curves without any drama. Well worth the price of admission!
    -Hayden

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Ordered the tires today, went with the Pilot Sport 4S after reading a lot of reviews. They're coming from outside Texas so it may be a week or two before they arrive. Plus I don't plan on installing them right away. Still tons of tread on my current tires. We'll see how long I hold out. I could put the current, mounted set aside for emergency use I guess.

Established Member Two Rings ffearless's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Tundra, 2017 RDX

What size did you go with? On MOPs advice I went with 285 30 20s. I have been favorably impressed. I haven't been able to drive past their ability yet.
    2014 Estoril Blue RS5, loaded, 034 Motorsport X-Brace and rear anti sway bar, CR-15 strut tower brace, Ecstuning transmission and differential inserts, carbon fiber mirror housings, LED backup lights, VAG COMM mods, mid-resonator delete, true dual exhaust

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Yep, same size on a 10" wheel. I may "upgrade" to a 10.5" wheel so this size would transfer right over.