Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established Member Two Rings gt854t5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 Avant Prestige; W211 E500 Designo

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I believe the Gray car has Black Optics package and sport diff. Nice features but, IMO, not 6k nicer than Silver. The gray color may also carry a premium over silver(not too flattering on a sport car).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    '09 B8 Avant Prestige/Dark Beige/RS4 Grille/aFe filter/ECS Intake-hose/SS Lines & Slotted rotors/Red Coils/S5 split-spoke 19s/LED Interior kit/TTRS FBSW/B8.5 shifter/VAG-Com mods.....TBC

Veteran Member Four Rings JBAeroEngineer's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by gt854t5 View Post
    I believe the Gray car has Black Optics package and sport diff. Nice features but, IMO, not 6k nicer than Silver. The gray color may also carry a premium over silver(not too flattering on a sport car).

Not unless it's Nardo...

Senior Member Four Rings 4ringnut's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 Audi S4, 2017 Acura MDX

Quote Originally Posted by SaigonDesign View Post
    Agreed.

Also:
    1. I can't wait till car companies switch over to using OLED screens instead of LCDs. The backlighting of LCDs at night is horribly distracting.

2. I'm also not sold on adding all this Virtual Cockpit to the gauges. It's just another screen that distracts people from what they should be focusing on, driving. I had a B9 A4 loaner last time my B8.5 was in the shop, and I hated all the extra crap on the screen.

3. I'd rather they focus on adding all this mapping and reconfigurable gauges to a HUD rather than the instrument binnacle.
    Its not even noticeable once you get use to it. A lot of people have been crying over the virtual cockpit. None of them actually have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pedal Responce first responder.

Established Member Two Rings joe biker's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Looking to upgrade - opinions needed

I have owned my B9 for about a year the only complains are.
    The nav needs improvement.
    However I can plug my I phone in and use google maps.
    My trunk will open when I
    am washing or polishing the right rear quarter but it doesnít happen all the time.
    Turn on valet mode cures that problem.
    I find the car feels too comfortable however the more I drive the car the more I enjoy it.
    Great gas Milage and driving in dynamic mode will put a smile on my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Last edited by joe biker; 06-16-2018 at 05:22 AM.

Established Member Three Rings Novarider's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by joe biker View Post
    I have owned my B9 for about a year the only complains are.
    The nav needs improvement.
    However I can plug my I phone in and use google maps.
    My trunk will open when I
    am washing or polishing the right rear quarter but it doesnít happen all the time.
    Turn on valet mode cures that problem.
    I find the car feels too comfortable however the more I drive the car the more I enjoy it.
    Great gas Milage and driving in dynamic mode will put a smile on my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Never head someone complain that their car is too comfortable before.
    2011 A4 Avant Prestige S-Line

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    Never head someone complain that their car is too comfortable before.
    People complain all the time their car rides like a caddy and not a stage coach.

Senior Member Three Rings audrobotic's Avatar
    AZ Member #

So I suppose this is sort of a B8.5 vs B9 comparo? Ive driven the B8/B8.5 for about 8 years and roughly spanning about 90k miles of driving. Ive driven the B9 as loaner car for a total of about 300-400 miles.

I pick the B8.5 every time. When a design works it just works. I love the interior of the B8 gen. Its not instagram glamorous but it just feels right. And yeah the tech is dated. The tech was basically designed before the iPhone came out.

I like the driving dynamics of the B8.5 better too. The B9 just feels bigger. I also can never figure out whats going on with tail lights. The weird inner-bottom slanted piece of taillight just never made sense to me. Now if your talking A5 sportback - that exterior design is a different story. Iíd be way more into that car if my boss didnt have one.

But I get that people like all the tech. The screens. The connnectivity. The apps. But I just like to drive and listen to a few tunes.

You cant really go wrong with either car. I havent heard of any major issues with the B9 2.0T? Did Audi actually get it right this time?
    Current: 2013 A4 | Past: 2010 A4 | B8 Warning! 2009-2012 = Mechanicís Special

2013 Audi A4 2.0T FWD multitronic CVT | Brilliant Black
    TFSI Longitudinal EA888 CAEB 26.02.13
    EPA MPG: 24 City / 31 Hwy | Oil: Pennzoil 5W40 Ultra
    Blades: Valeo 574462 (VM362) - Mods: Mann-Filter C32130 | Mann-Filter CUK2450
    Tires: 245/45/R17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

Established Member Two Rings vdubtx's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Went and drove the S4. Very inpressed with it. Very powerful and the sound is awesome. But, it is just not different enough for me at this time. Wife gave me a told you so and I had that in back of my mind, but I didnít want to listen to her. They would come down on price on it, but not enough compared to another in Houston that was $6k less.
    2012 A4 Premium Plus, Monsoon Gray, Quattro, Navi, Push Start. VCDS mods needle sweep, windows up/down with fob, no wink turns, fogs as cornering lights.

Established Member Two Rings gt854t5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 Avant Prestige; W211 E500 Designo

Quote Originally Posted by JBAeroEngineer View Post
    Not unless it's Nardo...
    Not sure if any B8.5s came to NA with Nardo gray. Or r u referring to another comment? But Nardo would be the 2nd best color, after Sepang or Nogoro blue for the S4..

'09 B8 Avant Prestige/Dark Beige/RS4 Grille/aFe filter/ECS Intake-hose/SS Lines & Slotted rotors/Red Coils/S5 split-spoke 19s/LED Interior kit/TTRS FBSW/B8.5 shifter/VAG-Com mods.....TBC

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Sorry OP for kinda hijacking this but didn't think it warranted a new thread.

Would you guys trade in your A4 for a S4 if the right deal came along?

I've always wanted a S4 (love the A4 regardless).

A 2010 S4 has come up at a local dealer for a fair price, 6 speed premium model and identical mileage as my A4 ~69k miles.

I know I'd have to fork up a little on top of the trade in but just curious how many would if they got the chance.

Thanks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Audizine mobile app

Established Member Three Rings Novarider's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by McGretzky97 View Post

A 2010 S4 has come up at a local dealer for a fair price, 6 speed premium model and identical mileage as my A4 ~69k miles.

I know I'd have to fork up a little on top of the trade in but just curious how many would if they got the chance.

Thanks.

Yes, unless gas milage is a concern for you
    2011 A4 Avant Prestige S-Line

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Not really, I did get rid of my 4runner for my A4 but I could barely get 20mpg on the highway.

Gas prices suck up here in Canada regardless, probably on average 4-8mpg worse? Still not terrible considering the engine size/output.

Veteran Member Four Rings bhvrdr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    997S; Camaro SS; e30 BMW, Toyota FJ

I get the same fuel economy in my A4 as my S4 and S5 got. Sad but true.

Mike

2010 Audi A4 Avant 6AT - Unitronic Tuned - Bone Stock Hardware
    13.665 at 97.71mph - 93 octane - +1250DA
    Gone:
    2013 Audi S5 DSG - Unitronic Stage 2++ ECU & TCU, 3.17pr, Revo Charge Cooler, CTS Turbo Intake, ST60 380mm BBK
    11.482 at 118.70mph - 97 octane - +465DA
    --------------------------
    2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bhvrdr View Post
    I get the same fuel economy in my A4 as my S4 and S5 got. Sad but true.

Mike
    Yeah, wouldn't be that much difference anyway between A4 and S4. Combined now in my A4 with about 80% highway driving I get 26mpg. LIkely would get 22-23 combined in S4.

I am still on fence about getting the Daytona Gray S4. That sound and the feel of the car keeps calling me back. LOL!

Even though the S4 I am still considering is a CPO, the CPO aspect of Audi isn't as great as it used to be. It only adds 1 more year to factory warranty. Wonder if the dealer will remove the $3k premium for the CPO and then I just buy a longer extended warranty.
    2012 A4 Premium Plus, Monsoon Gray, Quattro, Navi, Push Start. VCDS mods needle sweep, windows up/down with fob, no wink turns, fogs as cornering lights.

Veteran Member Four Rings bhvrdr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    997S; Camaro SS; e30 BMW, Toyota FJ

I was reading about that woth cpo. Thats a shame and it may make more sense now to buy a clean carfax car that is not cpo and just put a fidelity on it. I personally wouldnt even bother with one. The drivetrain on the s4 is about as close to bullet proof as you can get. Even if ypu did have a failure on a big ticket item you can find used engines and transmissions pretty darn cheap compared to many German cars.

Mike

2010 Audi A4 Avant 6AT - Unitronic Tuned - Bone Stock Hardware
    13.665 at 97.71mph - 93 octane - +1250DA
    Gone:
    2013 Audi S5 DSG - Unitronic Stage 2++ ECU & TCU, 3.17pr, Revo Charge Cooler, CTS Turbo Intake, ST60 380mm BBK
    11.482 at 118.70mph - 97 octane - +465DA
    --------------------------
    2016 A6 -- 2015 S4 -- 2009 A4 -- 2004 S4 -- 2006 A4 -- 2003 A4 -- 2000 A4

AZ Member #

Thanks.

2010 a4 to s4? Probably for a small upgrade price. You'd make it back not having to worry about the chain and oil.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bhvrdr View Post
    I was reading about that woth cpo. Thats a shame and it may make more sense now to buy a clean carfax car that is not cpo and just put a fidelity on it. I personally wouldnt even bother with one. The drivetrain on the s4 is about as close to bullet proof as you can get. Even if ypu did have a failure on a big ticket item you can find used engines and transmissions pretty darn cheap compared to many German cars.

Mike
    Good point. I did have a hard time finding many frequent problems on the S4 group page. Most frequent was a ticking at cold start up issue.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I like my B8 interior. I have an Avant and don't wan't an Allroad, so I'm set for the near furture. I don't care for the B9 interior. I cupholders are in terrible place. and i'm not a fan of the screen sticking up like an afterthought. I guess that's the future. Looks like the new A6 for next year will not have a screen sticking up. the up side to the B9 is you may avoid some engine issues from the B8 years. I've been hit hard with that lately. My 2010 Avant has been great. I found a 2011 Avant S-Line Alcantara sports seats paddle shifters black headliner sport suspension 19" everything you could want. 64,000 miles recent 65k service done at Audi all service records from same dealer. I did a quick inspection and based on the service history I purchased it and had it shipped cross country. within 2 months I had a belt broken in one tire so $1000 for new PS4's. then it starts running rough. $650 for walnut blast carbon cleaning. I find out then I really should do the timing chain tensioner and oh, btw your front upper control arm bushings are showing signs of dry rot. so now it's at USP Motorsports for full timing chain service and 034 Motorsports Density Line control arms upper and lower. Adding a Fluidamper pulley while the old one is off anyway. bottom line is another $4000 worth of work needed. now, I'm getting a few upgrades out of the deal. better tires, fluidamper, stiffer control arm bushings.
    but I sure didn't expect to shell out another $5650 within the first six months of ownership.
    My 2010 Avant for sale and had to get a carbon cleaning done as it sat for a month or two and on a demo ride it started having a rough idle. so they didn't buy it and I spent $650 on a carbon cleaning and it's still for sale. Given the 2.0T issues I've had. I would trade up to a B8 S4 in a heartbeat. I just can't get a S4 Avant here in the U.S.
    Last edited by Werks; 06-21-2018 at 03:54 PM.
    2010 A4 Avant, 2012 Q5

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I assume most would be fairly content if the oil consumption is dealt with along with the tensioner, carbon cleaning etc? (which is what I hope my car can qualify while still under warranty)

AZ Member #

I assume most would be fairly content if the oil consumption is dealt with along with the tensioner, carbon cleaning etc? (which is what I hope my car can qualify while still under warranty)

I wouldn't pay to upgrade to an s4 if this was the case. As someone mentioned earlier, I wouldn't want to be on the same platform for another 5-7 years. Used b9.5/10 s4 paw-lease

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12