Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings TwoSnelz's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 Audi S4, 1998 BMW 323is

Headlight going out intermittently

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My driver side low beam is shutting off randomly. If I turn the lights off then on again it fires fine and stays lit for a random amount of time.

Do you all think this is a bulb or something else?

Sent from my XT1254 using Audizine mobile app
    2001.5 Cactus Green S4 - Rebuilt Motor, Frankenturbo F21s/Inlets, Gates Timing Belt, 034 Spider Hose/Rear Subframe Reinforcement/Rear Swaybar/Track Density Motor Mounts, XSPower Y-Pipe, 85mm MAF Housing, Stratosphere DVs, SSA Turboback Exhaust, JHM FMIC, Samco TBB, 550cc EV14 Injectors, Motoza 93 Tune, ST Coilovers, Rebuilt 01E, Southbend Single Mass Steel Flywheel, USP Slave Cylinder w/ Steel Braided Line, Clutchmaster FX400 6Puck Clutch

Veteran Member Four Rings vavJETTAw36's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Xenon ballast is probably going bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Three Rings MugelloB7RS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Swap bulbs left to right and see if the problem moves with the bulb. If it doesn't, swap ballasts left to right and see what happens.

You should be able to narrow it down to a bulb issue or ballast issue pretty quick.

Established Member Two Rings TwoSnelz's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 Audi S4, 1998 BMW 323is

Good idea Mugello I try it and see what happens

Sent from my XT1254 using Audizine mobile app
    2001.5 Cactus Green S4 - Rebuilt Motor, Frankenturbo F21s/Inlets, Gates Timing Belt, 034 Spider Hose/Rear Subframe Reinforcement/Rear Swaybar/Track Density Motor Mounts, XSPower Y-Pipe, 85mm MAF Housing, Stratosphere DVs, SSA Turboback Exhaust, JHM FMIC, Samco TBB, 550cc EV14 Injectors, Motoza 93 Tune, ST Coilovers, Rebuilt 01E, Southbend Single Mass Steel Flywheel, USP Slave Cylinder w/ Steel Braided Line, Clutchmaster FX400 6Puck Clutch

Senior Member Four Rings VinnysS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MugelloB7RS4 View Post
    Swap bulbs left to right and see if the problem moves with the bulb. If it doesn't, swap ballasts left to right and see what happens.

You should be able to narrow it down to a bulb issue or ballast issue pretty quick.
    Yup. That's the way to tell

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    1997 VW GTI VR6 (sold), 2003 Audi RS6 (sold), 2010 Audi A4 2.0T (RIP Totaled on 11/2/2015 ) 2005.5 Audi S4

My build log
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-s-s4-timeline

Texpoops "Correct, but a half inch difference isnít going to accelerate wear by much. Iím sure the front dips that much with a fatty in the front"

Established Member Two Rings mys4.org's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Audi S4 2.7t

It is going to be the Xenon ballast. If it was the bulbs, they will dramatically change colors when they are going out. Typically a pink/purple color is when they are going out. When the ballast is having issues or a poor electrical connection the bulb will flash on and of.

Established Member Three Rings ReggieNoble's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mys4.org View Post
    It is going to be the Xenon ballast. If it was the bulbs, they will dramatically change colors when they are going out. Typically a pink/purple color is when they are going out. When the ballast is having issues or a poor electrical connection the bulb will flash on and of.
    Not always true, I've had 3 bulbs burn out by flashing then flickering off. One was a Phillips, second was an Osram, and the third one was ebay special. I bought 6 sets of D2S bulbs off ebay for $10 a set. Now I switch out new bulbs about once a year even if they are working fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Audizine mobile app

Senior Member Two Rings 1thenaton1's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Q7 TDI

I battled this for years thinking it was ballasts going out - turns out the piece that holds the bulb had bent slightly and getting that back into shape fixed the problem. Also went with Philips bulbs in 5000k huge improvement over the off-brand bulbs i got from hid concept and the terrible HID kits people put in these things with ddm ballasts. YMMV

Veteran Member Four Rings jpurre's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Mustang GT/CS vert
    Items for Sale

Probably a ballast. Easiest is to go to The Retrofit Source and get a D2S kit with ballasts and bulbs and wire them in. I did this with mine several years ago when the flickering started.
    2001 Silver F21 TIP (SOLD)
    Build thread--> http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ally-Happening