Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Four Rings 19birel's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    13' A4 Prem+, '07 BMW 530xi, '00 VW Golf GLS

My Monsoon Grey B8.5 (Re)build

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello all, just started my latest project so I figured I'd post a thread to document the progress! I've had a couple VAG cars before this, a MKIV VW Golf (my first car, still have it actually) and a B5 A4 1.8T Quattro that I bought not running for $900 and rebuilt

a4 (1 of 1)-18

Link to Build Thread Here

The car was fun but it was becoming more of an ongoing project than a daily even after the initial rebuilt as the PO really neglected it, so I sold it and switched to BMW with a 2007 530xi. 6MT Sport Package, had 164k miles at the time of purchase but you would've never known. One owner fully documented dealer service history since new.

[/url]

I absolutely adored this car. I planned on keeping it for a very long time, but life had other plans and a couple weeks ago I got in an accident which left the car destroyed beyond repair. This brings me to the replacement!

So decided I wanted something a little newer with lower mileage (the BMW had 180k when I lost it), my dad and I had rebuilt a salvage title MK7 GTI for him that we got from an insurance auction and it resulted in a nearly new car with under 10k miles for under $10k. I decided to do the exact same thing, but was having trouble finding a GTI suitable for rebuild, and then we stumbled upon this A4. I've always liked the B8/8.5 (my mom has a 2012 B8) and this one had all the right options so I jumped on it! figured I outta save a life to make up for the BMW haha

The day it was picked up from IAAI

My two mangled Germans (BMW is currently being parted out)

The car is a Monsoon Grey 2013 A4 Premium Plus with 57k miles. It has the Sport Package (a must have IMO), MMI Navigation, Audi Advance Key, B&O sound system, an most importantly, a 6-speed manual gearbox. From what I can tell the PO hit a deer.

My plans are to repair the car and get it looking as close to showroom fresh as I can on my meager college budget, then do a few mods here and there as well once the repairs are all squared away.

The main things the car needs

-Passenger Headlight

-Hood

-Hood Hinges

-Passenger Fender Purchased

-Bumper Purchased

-Grill Purchased

-Core Support

-Radiator

-Fender Rail repair

Stay tuned for some progress coming soon!
    Current: Monsoon Grey/Rock Grey 2013 Audi A4 Premium Plus 6MT Sport
    Previous: Light Silver Metallic/Onyx Ambition B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT w/Sport Pkg BUILD THREAD
    18" RS-6 Reps | STOP-TECH ss braided lines | Hard-wired Nüvi 205w | 2.8 Gearbox swap

Established Member Two Rings Sgambots91's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Wow I’m surprised the insurance totaled that A4 out. Still has low miles and the damage doesn’t really seem all that bad. Nice find! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Veteran Member Four Rings AUDIMAN33's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A4, Porsche Cayenne S, Mercedes Benz S430 4matic
    Items for Sale

Make sure you have a good body shop paint it this time...
    Current
    2014 AUDI A4
    2003 AUDI A4 Convertible
    2004 VW Touareg V8
    Previous
    2010 BMW 328XI
    2002 BMW M5
    2013 JETTA SE 2003 MERCEDES-BENZ S430 4MATIC 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL LEXUS GS460, 2011 CHEVY CAMARO 2008 BMW X3,2000 Audi A4,2003 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1996 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1988,SCIROCCO16V

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Nice... I'm working on a 12 A4 Avant I got from auction as well. It actually had less damage on it with no bags deployed and around 54k miles. Looks like you already have some parts, but fyi if you can find used parts that are the same year and color of your car you more than likely wouldn't have to do any painting. I restored a CLS550 AMG last year and took that route and saved around $1200 since I didn't have to do any painting and black parts were really easy to find.. Good Luck on the project.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sgambots91 View Post
    Wow I’m surprised the insurance totaled that A4 out. Still has low miles and the damage doesn’t really seem all that bad. Nice find! Looking forward to seeing your progress.
    Yeah the damage isn't too bad, shouldn't be terribly hard or expensive to do!

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIMAN33 View Post
    Make sure you have a good body shop paint it this time...
    Yeah haha the guy that messed up my B5 also screwed up my dad's GTI so I'm going elsewhere for paint this time. I want it to look as close to new as I can within my budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    Nice... I'm working on a 12 A4 Avant I got from auction as well. It actually had less damage on it with no bags deployed and around 54k miles. Looks like you already have some parts, but fyi if you can find used parts that are the same year and color of your car you more than likely wouldn't have to do any painting. I restored a CLS550 AMG last year and took that route and saved around $1200 since I didn't have to do any painting and black parts were really easy to find.. Good Luck on the project.
    Nice! Do you have a thread for it? The fender I bought was already painted the same color, but the bumper isn't because all the monsoon grey ones were a little damaged so I just got an S-Line one in white that'll get painted. I'd like to find a hood though pre-painted it'll be tricky though.
    Previous: Light Silver Metallic/Onyx Ambition B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT w/Sport Pkg BUILD THREAD
    18" RS-6 Reps | STOP-TECH ss braided lines | Hard-wired Nüvi 205w | 2.8 Gearbox swap

Veteran Member Four Rings AUDIMAN33's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi A4, Porsche Cayenne S, Mercedes Benz S430 4matic
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by 19birel View Post
    Yeah the damage isn't too bad, shouldn't be terribly hard or expensive to do!

Yeah haha the guy that messed up my B5 also screwed up my dad's GTI so I'm going elsewhere for paint this time. I want it to look as close to new as I can within my budget.

Nice! Do you have a thread for it? The fender I bought was already painted the same color, but the bumper isn't because all the monsoon grey ones were a little damaged so I just got an S-Line one in white that'll get painted. I'd like to find a hood though pre-painted it'll be tricky though.
    LOL please do because in that first photo I can every part that was painted on you B5. Your B8.5 isn't old at all so you'll be able to match it just fine with a good body shop
    Current
    2014 AUDI A4
    2003 AUDI A4 Convertible
    2004 VW Touareg V8
    Previous
    2010 BMW 328XI
    2002 BMW M5
    2013 JETTA SE 2003 MERCEDES-BENZ S430 4MATIC 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL LEXUS GS460, 2011 CHEVY CAMARO 2008 BMW X3,2000 Audi A4,2003 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1996 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY,1988,SCIROCCO16V

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIMAN33 View Post
    LOL please do because in that first photo I can every part that was painted on you B5. Your B8.5 isn't old at all so you'll be able to match it just fine with a good body shop
    Yeah, to be fair that car was painted a bunch before I got it (I only had the bumpers and trunk done) the rest was done by another crappy body shop when the PO had it

But yeah, unlike the B5 this car is worth spending the extra money to make it look right. I think I'll end up having the front clear bra'd as well to preserve the paint once it's finished.

Sent from my slouch beanie using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

Yeah I started a basic thread, but need to post some update pics. Still working on getting it registered so I can drive it around and start working on upgrades. https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-Avant-Owner!!

As for bumpers and small parts I just do them myself in the garage and let me body guy do the major stuff. A somewhat good paint gun only costs a couple hundred bucks and a small compressor can be had used for cheap. I already knew how to paint a little for other things and painting over old parts gave me enough practice. It's actually not hard once you get the hang of swinging left to right with a straight stiff hand. For me it's all about keeping costs down as much as possible so the wife doesn't cut my hobby off.

Luckily I'm in So Cal and there are literally hundreds of junk yards if I drove out to LA and look for parts. This helps keeps costs down on things like fenders and hoods since I don't have to have anything shipped. My total build budget for the A4 is only $7k and I may go over if I do the tensioner which seems to be needed for my B8.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    Yeah I started a basic thread, but need to post some update pics. Still working on getting it registered so I can drive it around and start working on upgrades. https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-Avant-Owner!!

As for bumpers and small parts I just do them myself in the garage and let me body guy do the major stuff. A somewhat good paint gun only costs a couple hundred bucks and a small compressor can be had used for cheap. I already knew how to paint a little for other things and painting over old parts gave me enough practice. It's actually not hard once you get the hang of swinging left to right with a straight stiff hand. For me it's all about keeping costs down as much as possible so the wife doesn't cut my hobby off.

Luckily I'm in So Cal and there are literally hundreds of junk yards if I drove out to LA and look for parts. This helps keeps costs down on things like fenders and hoods since I don't have to have anything shipped. My total build budget for the A4 is only $7k and I may go over if I do the tensioner which seems to be needed for my B8.
    Nice I'll have to check that out!

Unfortunately for me none of my local junkyards have newer Audis so I'm having to shop most everything. As for paint I briefly entertained the idea of doing it myself, but unless going to a quality shop is out of my budget, I'd prefer to pay someone so I know the color will match well and the finish will be good. It's a possibility, but kind of a last resort for me personally.

AZ Member #

Nice I'll have to check that out!

Unfortunately for me none of my local junkyards have newer Audis so I'm having to shop most everything. As for paint I briefly entertained the idea of doing it myself, but unless going to a quality shop is out of my budget, I'd prefer to pay someone so I know the color will match well and the finish will be good. It's a possibility, but kind of a last resort for me personally.
    Yeah no local yards is a hassle as shipping parts in can get expensive. As for color matching just give the paint shop your paint code and they can look up how to mix the paint or order directly from audi. Since it's only a few small parts paint is typically around $100 if that and the color always matches exactly. The only time you may run into paint problems if it's not a stock paint job.