Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings kwaceyoopony's Avatar
    AZ Member #

C5 A6 4.2L Quattro to C5 Rs6 swap

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    How hard would it be to do this. Just curious. Iím sure people have done this before and if anyone has please let me know Iíd love to be able to know what goes into it and no I donít want to hear that it would be easier just to buy one.

Established Member Two Rings Jsol's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If you go that route then you may as well swap in a manual.

Senior Member Two Rings mr_dave's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 S6 & RS6

I'm not sure what if anything wouldn't just bolt right up but I'm assuming that if you have all the pieces it probably wouldn't be too bad. Main differences are the suspension, brakes, F&R aluminum subframes (vs steel on the 4.2L), exhaust, and the drivetrain (obviously).

If you're going to spend all that effort on a swap, why not buy an S6 Avant (hey, I have one for sale here!) and make it into an RS6 Avant?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Jsol View Post
    If you go that route then you may as well swap in a manual.
    Yep I already got that stuff planned out

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mr_dave View Post
    I'm not sure what if anything wouldn't just bolt right up but I'm assuming that if you have all the pieces it probably wouldn't be too bad. Main differences are the suspension, brakes, F&R aluminum subframes (vs steel on the 4.2L), exhaust, and the drivetrain (obviously).

If you're going to spend all that effort on a swap, why not buy an S6 Avant (hey, I have one for sale here!) and make it into an RS6 Avant?
    There is a whole lot of sentimental value to my C5 A6 as it has been in my family since she rolled out of the factory. Iíve already dumped plenty of money and I donít really want to stop tbh lol. I just want some more power out of her.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '02 S6 Avant, '17 Mk7 Golf Wolfsburg

There is also future maintenance to think about with the 4.2L TT engine. Its pretty much engine out for anything. When I was getting my S6 transmission swapped, Phil at AudiS4parts.com told me in his opinion it isn't worth the hassle and hard work required to do the basic services.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...dures-with-RS6

I know JHM makes a supercharger for the 4.2l allroads with timing chains. I was wondering if something like that could work? Or you can swap in a stage 3 2.7L?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Gogeees View Post
    There is also future maintenance to think about with the 4.2L TT engine. Its pretty much engine out for anything. When I was getting my S6 transmission swapped, Phil at AudiS4parts.com told me in his opinion it isn't worth the hassle and hard work required to do the basic services.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...dures-with-RS6

I know JHM makes a supercharger for the 4.2l allroads with timing chains. I was wondering if something like that could work?
    I have heard and by experience I know the 4.2l awn is a not a power house. How much would the supercharged kit actually add? Iím pretty sure the allroad and the A6 Quattro have the same awn 4.2 right?

Senior Member Three Rings m_haiser's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Highland Green Allroad

yeah me personally for the money you spend to swap in a 4.2TT id go full stage 3 2.7t and you still have the widebody goodness everyone loves and a manual transmission!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mr_dave View Post

Cool good to know! Now would the fact that the subframe being a different material have any negative affect on the car? I also plan on doing a manual swap with my 4.2L awn still in so itíll be a while Iíve just always wanted to do this. I love my car to death and I really donít think I could get rid of her as much of a pain in the ass she is.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kwaceyoopony View Post
    I have heard and by experience I know the 4.2l awn is a not a power house. How much would the supercharged kit actually add? Iím pretty sure the allroad and the A6 Quattro have the same awn 4.2 right?

https://jhmotorsports.com/jhm-superc...l-stage-1.html

I think its for the different motors in the 04-05 allroad. Has a timing chain instead of a belt. I have not really looked into it though.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kwaceyoopony View Post
    Cool good to know! Now would the fact that the subframe being a different material have any negative affect on the car? I also plan on doing a manual swap with my 4.2L awn still in so itíll be a while Iíve just always wanted to do this. I love my car to death and I really donít think I could get rid of her as much of a pain in the ass she is.

I think the only difference is weight.

The manual swap brought my S6 to life, it's an absolute blast to drive now.

I just got a tune on my BBD 4.2L over the weekend, and it feels like its added a ton of power and torque. All it actually did was increase the throttle response so you get to peak power and torque faster. Its may have slightly added a little more power then stock but there really isn't much more you can get of a NA engine. But it's certainly accelerates faster, and it's getting better gas mileage, so I am pretty happy. Now I just need it to make more noise.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by m_haiser View Post
    yeah me personally for the money you spend to swap in a 4.2TT id go full stage 3 2.7t and you still have the widebody goodness everyone loves and a manual transmission!
    Iím just a sucker for the 4.2L I just wish it had more power honestly. I wonder if I could do the S6 ART 4.2L swap and do some simple bolt ins with that.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Gogeees View Post
    I think the only difference is weight.

The manual swap brought my S6 to life, it's an absolute blast to drive now.

I just got a tune on my BBD 4.2L over the weekend, and it feels like its added a ton of power and torque. All it actually did was increase the throttle response so you get to peak power and torque faster. Its may have slightly added a little more power then stock but there really isn't much more you can get of a NA engine. But it's certainly accelerates faster, and it's getting better gas mileage, so I am pretty happy. Now I just need it to make more noise.
    I honestly think an ART S6 engine swap and the manual swap would be my most reliable and easiest bet. What kind of bolt ins and tunes should I go for when I do the S6 and manual swap? Also any other kinds of performance upgrades I can do to her would be awesome.