Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Trunk actuator

Established Member Two Rings APC123's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Trunk actuator

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    My trunk actuator does not seem to even get a signal from any of the three ways it normally would. I’ve been having to use my key to open the trunk since I got the car from the PO.

The button on the key fob, the button on the drivers door, or even the button above the lisence plate DO NOT activate the actuator to work. I even bought Matt Devo’s actuator from his car he was parting out and it did not work either.

It is as if the actuator is not getting a signal at all.

What could be the reason for this?? I have checked all of the fuses and such.

Could it be the Comfort Control Module? I have a tiny bit of knowledge about this such thing, but not enough to diagnose this as the problem.

Thanks guys!!

Veteran Member Three Rings john_gonzo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Here's a good place to start: Trunk-Release-(soft-release)-Not-Working

Veteran Member Four Rings CyberPMG's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 A4 1.8T Ultrasport 6MQ

I had that problem. For me, it turned out to be the wiring harness had a crack and needed fixed. Crack was actually in the area of the conduit. Shop basically had to take apart the covers and test the wires to see where the problem was located. Was a lot cheaper than replacing the trunk latch.
    USP CLUB MEMBER #34

2004 A4 1.8T USP - GT2871R Eliminator - Motoza program - ER Comp FMIC - Stoptech BBK & lines - JDM SS - CIM gauge - ECS RA4 Stage 2 clutch & LWFW - Fluidampr pulley - RNS-E - RS4 pedals, e-brake, & mirrors - S4 Bi-Xenon ecodes - 19" OZ SLIII - Bilstein PSS9 - B6 S4 Recaros - more stuff...

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by CyberPMG View Post
    I had that problem. For me, it turned out to be the wiring harness had a crack and needed fixed. Crack was actually in the area of the conduit. Shop basically had to take apart the covers and test the wires to see where the problem was located. Was a lot cheaper than replacing the trunk latch.
    This is what I’m thinking, i guess when you put the key in and turn all the way to the right, and pull it out (maybe not all the way), this allows for the electric opening ways to work, but even with this it doesn’t. Maybe I should find the wire(s) that “should” give power to the actuator blah blah blah and test them with a meter while pressing the buttons.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by john_gonzo View Post
    Here's a good place to start: Trunk-Release-(soft-release)-Not-Working
    So john I should go into my trunk as you did and check the wiring? But my case is different as ALL ways of electronically opening the trunk do not work, not the key fob, nothing. Some of the other people’s in that forum link were able to still use their key fob.

I will try both actuators with a 12 volt battery

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by APC123 View Post
    So john I should go into my trunk as you did and check the wiring? But my case is different as ALL ways of electronically opening the trunk do not work, not the key fob, nothing. Some of the other people’s in that forum link were able to still use their key fob.

I will try both actuators with a 12 volt battery
    All three ways (release inside driver's door, key fob, soft touch button on trunk) require power for the actuator inside the trunk lid. Your power wire by the trunk hinge could be broken. For the case where only key fob works, the release button in driver's door could have a broken wire in the driver's door hinge area AND the soft touch button above the rear license plate could have corroded contacts. I agree, test what you can before you open up the interior panels. If you do end up fixing wires, here's what I did for reference:

0. Disconnect ground cable from main battery.
    1. Remove left side trim inside trunk. (Bunch of other stuff first.)
    2. Remove/cut cloth tape that holds wire harness to inside of left fender. This creates wire slack for later.
    3. Unclip plastic harness tube from left hinge on trunk lid.
    4. Remove squid grommet from body where wires enter trunk near left tail light.
    5. Pull wire slack from inside the trunk to outside.
    6. Slide plastic tube down the wires away from trunk lid.
    7. Inspect wires for breaks, damaged insulation, etc. If any wires are broken, fix all of the wires in that harness.

8. Remove trunk lid liner.
    9. Loosen wires from lid to create more slack.
    10. Pull wires as far as possible out of trunk lid. All of this wire slack is needed so the new splice connectors do not end up inside the plastic tube or grommets.

11. Now I think I clipped all the wires inside the trunk then pulled all EXCEPT ONE out of the plastic tube and grommets. Then I used that last wire to pull the bundle of new wires through the grommets and tube. (See EDIT at bottom of this post.) The wires were about 3 feet long so the splice points ended up well into the trunk and lid. I used this 22 AWG wire: Grainger part number C2016A.12.01.

12. After reconnecting all the wires, TEST your repairs. Hook the battery back up then check the trunk release and license plate lights.
    13. Reinstall the grommets(squid and one in lid) and plastic tube.
    14. Route wires to tie points inside trunk. Use tape or zip ties to attach wires to plastic clips.
    15. Repeat for wires inside trunk lid.
    16. TEST again.
    17. Reinstall liners in trunk and on lid.

EDIT: I lied, that picture shows old and new wires through the tube. If I had to do it again, I would follow the procedure in step 11.
    Last edited by john_gonzo; 06-14-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Active Member Two Rings LordKarnage17's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm facing a similar problem. the button on the drivers door dosent work, and the button on the trunk itself seems broken or dislodged internally. The button on the key fob does work however so the actuator seems to work, so I'm thinking its a wiring problem between the front of the car and the trunk.
    Going to have to take it apart to see why the button on the trunk isnt working though...
    2003 a4 Quattro manual 141k Miles 1.8t/FMIC/ exhaust/ upgraded diverter valve/ GIAC tune

AZ Member #

Good DIY with pics for removing the trunk LID liner: Audi A4 Broken Trunk Release Repair

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by LordKarnage17 View Post
    I'm facing a similar problem. the button on the drivers door dosent work, and the button on the trunk itself seems broken or dislodged internally. The button on the key fob does work however so the actuator seems to work, so I'm thinking its a wiring problem between the front of the car and the trunk.
    Going to have to take it apart to see why the button on the trunk isnt working though...
    Yes, that would have me fooled even more so than I am atm. Atleast with mine I can rule out the possibility of a problem between the front and rear the car as you said. Atleast with mine I can start with the thought in mind of “maybe the wire that gives power is broken”.