Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Updated PCV

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Updated PCV

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello,

My car is 2009 B8 2.0Twith Stage 1 APR. From the start it had very minor oil consumption - about a quart per 7,500 miles. However, over the years I see consumption getting worse: 2-2.5 quarts per oil change cycle. The car has 90K miles and I'm thinking about replacing the original PCV. Do you guys think it's a good idea? Will updated PCV reduce the consumption? What else can I try?

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by sergeyv View Post
    Hello,

My car is 2009 B8 2.0Twith Stage 1 APR. From the start it had very minor oil consumption - about a quart per 7,500 miles. However, over the years I see consumption getting worse: 2-2.5 quarts per oil change cycle. The car has 90K miles and I'm thinking about replacing the original PCV. Do you guys think it's a good idea? Will updated PCV reduce the consumption? What else can I try?
    At this point, if the car hasnt had any warranty work done to it, such as piston rings/ pistons, rear main seal or timing chain, its a ticking time blmb that even replacing the pcv wont do much. To check your pcv, there is a small pin hole at the back of the pcv. If you can feel air escaping through there, the pcv is bad. But with you burning 2 qts every oil change, mostly piston rings are toast and/or rear main seal is bad

Active Member Two Rings rcprato's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    09 A4 Avant Quattro - 11 Touareg VR6 Lux

Fortunately for you the 2.0T in your 09 has held up longer than many others from that year.

Like previously said there are a few known issues with the early B8 2.0T engines, they have addressed these in later model B8's but if you plan on driving yours for longer you will need to address the known issues.

The oil burn is because of poor design of the rings, you can address this with Audi Service Department and there is a process you go through that could result in you getting new pistons and rings covered by Audi. From what I understand the engineers at Audi chose a ring design for the 09 2.0T that had less pressure against cylinder wall in hopes of better gas mileage which lead to oil leaking pass the rings causing excessive oil burn.

The timing chain tensioner problem can also be addressed while engine is apart, basically you loose tension on the timing chain and if not addressed the chain can slip a tooth or more causing open valves to hit pistons on up stroke and bend.

Both of the above topics have extensive threads on here that are worth reading, should make a point of reading them to better understand the problems.

If your engine is rebuilt properly you should have no worries for another 90K or more !!

Established Member Two Rings NYDCB's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What are the signs of the rear main seal failing? That's the only thing I haven't had done on my MY2010

Veteran Member Four Rings 00SantorinS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Look under your car, you'll see oil pissing from where the engine meets the trans. Ya can't miss it (ask me how I know) I had my RMS and clutch replaced at 123k miles. Car burns about a qt every oil change which is fine with me. I'm at 133k miles with little issues. Wastegate is junk but I'll run it another 10k before I sell her.
    2010 Audi A4 Premium 2.0TQM ** Brilliant Black - aFe Pro Dry Filter|ECS Turbo Inlet Hose|R8 Coils|ECS Drivetrain Mount Inserts|BFI GS2|35% Tint