Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings Robdukes's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If you have stuck caliper carrier bolts

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Today is brake day. Replacing my rotors and pads on the front with ECS slotted rotors and Stop tech street pads. I heard the caliper carrier bolts are tough to get off. Didn't expect this though. Brand new crescent brand socket wrench is slipping now after whacking it many times with the mallet. Broke a 1/2 inch to 3/8 adapter from just brute force as I torqued on this thing. It's crazy.
    I hit it 3 times with PB Blaster. Smacked it with hammers, used extender arms. It's like it's welded on there.
    Finally got it off and there's a trick to it. You need a second person sitting in the car holding the wheel over as far as it will go. If you do it yourself, as soon as you let go of the wheel you lose the tiny bit extra you need to be able to fit a longer breaker extender on. Use a 1/2 drive 21mm on a breaker bar with a pipe on back to extend it while someone holds the wheel as far as possible and you can get outside the fender for max torque.

On a second note. The Stop tech street pads had kind of crappy clips on the inside pad to hold it to the caliper. Reused the original ones instead because the stoptechs kept popping off as I tried to fit it into caliper.

AZ Member #

Had some clunking today that was never present before. Sounds like these pads are clunking around when hitting dips in the road.
    Another curious thing. When I got home and inspected the new pads they look as though they are unevenly touching the rotor. I'll attach a pic of each side. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

i did not have the trouble you did getting the bolts off on my 2011 A5 like you did...

...hit them with PB Blaster & let sit for an hour....

also, i used a V thin film of high temp RTV on the non-piston side to 'glue' the brake pad to the caliper....
    Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wkhanna View Post
    i did not have the trouble you did getting the bolts off on my 2011 A5 like you did...

also, i used a V thin film of high temp RTV on the non-piston side to 'glue' the brake pad to the caliper....
    Oh man, I had to take a brake from watching the mechanic struggle to get the pin out so he could replace the pads. That was a work out

Sent from my iPad using Audizine

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wkhanna View Post

Never had this kind of trouble. Even on old cars that were all rusty. It was like they used the biggest gnarliest impact gun at the factory to put these on. My father in law was like "You're never gonna get that, you need to take it to a shop, I don't know why you're killing yourself, it's not going to come off".
    Just made me want to prove him wrong. Never give up, where there's a will there's a way.

Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

atta boy!
    Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo