Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Three Rings FREEZE451's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 S4

Angry AOA Failure - New A8L Rat Problems - chewed wires.

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Well, small rant about Audi and their process and why my Audi is no longer mine.

Start with the backstory:

Christmas - father got a brand new Audi A8L, 0 miles close to $100k. Amazing car.

From the start said he said it didn't have that Audi control feel (we've owned many Audi's and my Uncle has been an Audi mechanic for decades - now retired), and Quattro's have that control feel to them, if you own one and driven it in the winter at all you understand what I'm saying.

Next winter, slides into curb - states it still felt like he had no control in the snow.

Insurance claim - fix the control arms etc.

During the fix up, Technician tells us that the previous wires were damaged by mice and shows the repairs in the that section of the car.

Not once was this disclosed to anyone in our family in the purchase process.

Had we known about it there is no way on Earth we would buy a brand new Audi with rat problems, especially at that price range as we understand the complexity of the the Audi wiring in these machines, they are amazing masterpieces to say the least in that aspect.

Father has been dealing with AOA for months now with no progress satisfactory to even a level of Audi dedication our family has had.

I've debated selling my S4 before, but for upgrade purposes. Then just kind of felt like AOA and Audi in Fargo was not handling it.

So I traded my Audi for a truck.

From 7 Audi's to 6, and we are debating even eliminating them all.

Is this unrealistic to believe that Audi wouldn't handle a sale of a brand new luxury car for $100k whom admitted it had rat problems, thousands of miles after ownership, and not bring any realistic compensation to the table?

Maybe we are being a little zealous, but we feel when you spend that kind of money, have a family dedicated to their brand and then some...

Anyways, food for thought anyone?

I have no gripe with the quality of Audi vehicles, and respect them %100, it's the handling of this ongoing processes that doesn't seem to end..
    2014 S4 | 6MT | Phantom Black | APR Stage I | Alcantara | Sport Diff | Atlas Inlays | CR-15 | RS4 Grill |
    1988 80 - SOLD
    1990 90 - SOLD
    2000 A4 - SOLD
    2006 A4 - SOLD
    2008 A4 - SOLD
    2011 A4 - SOLD
    2014 S4 - SOLD

BUILD THREAD <-- Click

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Did I miss where it said that the wires were damaged prior to ownership? Not saying they weren't, but is there proof (other than "this a car doesn't have that control feel") that the car was damaged prior to purchase?

Site Moderator Four Rings Stubek's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Honda Element SC

So you are saying the dealership had damage to the wires they repaired before selling the car?
    You should post this in the Audi Customer Experience section where we have actual AoA people supporting.
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/forum...mer-Experience
    Kevin - Moderator, Audizine

2011 A4 Avant Meteor Grey/Black, Titanium Package, Prem+ Nav, B&O. Euro LED Tail Lights, Tint, LED license plate lights, LED interior lights, custom sub, lots of VAG updates, Eurocode Alu Kruez, Hotchkiss F/R Swaybars

Build thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ead?highlight=

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 S4

We never had it serviced prior to the curb check, so there was never a mechanic under the hood - if that helps?
    2014 S4 | 6MT | Phantom Black | APR Stage I | Alcantara | Sport Diff | Atlas Inlays | CR-15 | RS4 Grill |
    1988 80 - SOLD
    1990 90 - SOLD
    2000 A4 - SOLD
    2006 A4 - SOLD
    2008 A4 - SOLD
    2011 A4 - SOLD
    2014 S4 - SOLD

BUILD THREAD <-- Click

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 S4

Quote Originally Posted by Stubek View Post
    So you are saying the dealership had damage to the wires they repaired before selling the car?
    You should post this in the Audi Customer Experience section where we have actual AoA people supporting.
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/forum...mer-Experience
    Good call, just not sure I want to aggravate AOA anymore than it's been messed with by my father who has been patiently dealing with them for quite a while.

But yes, it was never disclosed to us or anyone we know prior to purchase that there was wires damaged prior to ownership, nor documented on any oil change that it went for.

Not trying to start a war with them, just trying to see if I'm off my rocker for the progress with this.
    1988 80 - SOLD
    1990 90 - SOLD
    2000 A4 - SOLD
    2006 A4 - SOLD
    2008 A4 - SOLD
    2011 A4 - SOLD
    2014 S4 - SOLD

BUILD THREAD <-- Click

Senior Member Four Rings bakedziti's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '77 MGB Roadster
    Items for Sale

I'd personally want a second opinion. Don't get me wrong, the techs at the dealership can be great; but, they can also be god-awful and leave things worse off. That said, I am simply saying that I would want to get a second opinion from someone else, before jumping from "mice" to "rats". While not being provided any images, I do find it interesting that they were "fixed", but who's to say that the tech's assumed "fix" isn't factory? I mean, clearly nobody was looking at this part of the car previously.

As a point of clarification; does the "feel" aspect have anything to do with the wiring issue? Or, are we trying to draw connections between mechanical qualities and hind-sight recollection of what we didn't fancy about the car? What were his previous cars? Maybe the road feel between flagship sedan and a mid-level model warrants different driving characteristics?

Not being a dick, just so many questions remain.
    2011 A4 P+ QGM | Sport Package | 6MT | MMI | B&O
    GIAC (stage) | Eurocode HFC & Alu Kreuz | Stasis Exhaust | H&R RSB | DV+ | CR-15 | ECS Intercooler w/ Piping & Street Shield | P3

the egyptian prescription

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by FREEZE451 View Post
    We never had it serviced prior to the curb check, so there was never a mechanic under the hood - if that helps?
    But that doesn't prove that the rat problems occurred before you purchased the vehicle and not after.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 S4

Quote Originally Posted by bakedziti View Post
    I'd personally want a second opinion. .
    Fair enough, and maybe we should have that addressed. It could be blown out being that the Audi tech told us it was rat problems, and it's possible that tech doesn't know what he was talking about. Exactly why I started the thread. And you're correct, no one did look at the car that I know of. I do not have images on me, but my parentals stated they have video of the tech showing them the 'rat' damage he said took place and the wire corrections that they did.

That being said, you're on point and there are a lot of questions that remain.

His previous Audi's are an A8 and A5, both quattros. So the feel aspect he said was just from previous years that when he drove he felt in control but that there was less connection to the road. For more specifics I would have to dig his brain a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by auditanky View Post
    But that doesn't prove that the rat problems occurred before you purchased the vehicle and not after.
    Also true, we just went with the story that after one tech said it had a rat issue, and then it was addressed to AOA and no one argued it was a rat problem that it was in fact such.

I see where you're coming from though and that does open the possibility that there could have been a rat problem when we owned it, but it the only service work done on this Audi was only performed at the Audi dealership we deal with.

Appreciate the feedback. I'll toss this around with the elder and see what his thoughts are.
    1988 80 - SOLD
    1990 90 - SOLD
    2000 A4 - SOLD
    2006 A4 - SOLD
    2008 A4 - SOLD
    2011 A4 - SOLD
    2014 S4 - SOLD

BUILD THREAD <-- Click

Veteran Member Four Rings LYKUNO's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I was watching a recent episode of MotorWeek on TV over the weekend, and in the Goss' Garage segment (Goss is a mechanic who offers car maintenance tips), he mentioned problems with vermin chewing on wiring with soy-based insulation. Apparently it's becoming a big problem. Here's an online article titled "Investigation of Volkswagen, Porsche & Audi over use of soy-based wiring susceptible to destruction by vermin"

You might consider reading the article, sharing it with your father, and seeing what other articles and related documentation are out there on the web. You may have a case with your situation.
    2011 S4 | Prestige | Jet Blue | Black/Silver Silk Nappa | S-Tronic | Sport Diff | Drive Select | Side Assist | Titanium | Carbon Fiber Inlays | HRE R40s (summer) BBS RGRs (winter)

Veteran Member Four Rings s4buckeye's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Q7 TDI Prestige, E93 M3, F23 m240ix

you mean handle their customers the way they handled the Gen 2.0 Q5/Q7 TDI owners - as in poorly?

Good luck.
    “Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are.” - Kurt Cobain

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 S4

But yes, it was never disclosed to us or anyone we know prior to purchase that there was wires damaged prior to ownership, nor documented on any oil change that it went for.
    These two statements seem to contradict each other. Or were the oil changes done after the curb damage?
    2016 S4 P+ | 6MT | Sports Diff. | Tech. Package

S4 Build Thread

2015 SQ5 P+ | H&R Sport Springs & Bilstein Shocks

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 S4

I guess when I meant serviced, I was referring to any mechanical work other than that of the normal user of a vehicle:

- Car Wash
    - Oil Change
    - Tire Rotation

etc..

If that helps.

So no like.. um service other than regular maintenance that would be expected on a brand new vehicle.
    1988 80 - SOLD
    1990 90 - SOLD
    2000 A4 - SOLD
    2006 A4 - SOLD
    2008 A4 - SOLD
    2011 A4 - SOLD
    2014 S4 - SOLD

BUILD THREAD <-- Click

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2016 S4

I guess when I meant serviced, I was referring to any mechanical work other than that of the normal user of a vehicle:

- Car Wash
    - Oil Change
    - Tire Rotation

etc..

If that helps.

So no like.. um service other than regular maintenance that would be expected on a brand new vehicle.
    Gotcha. That makes sense.
    2016 S4 P+ | 6MT | Sports Diff. | Tech. Package

S4 Build Thread

2015 SQ5 P+ | H&R Sport Springs & Bilstein Shocks

Veteran Member Four Rings LINDW4LL's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 3 S4, E46 M3
    Items for Sale

If I'm understanding correctly, the car had only been serviced by Audi, and while repairing post-accident, a technician discovered the prior wiring repair. Assuming that's correct, I think it's safe to say the damage was discovered and repaired by Audi prior to the sale when the car was new.

Reasoning being- if it happened under your ownership, 1) Audi would have been happy to charge you for any repairs. Rodent damage does not fall under warranty. 2) Even if for some reason they good-willed it, Audi would still mention the damage and that they were repairing it for free (at the very least, the repair would be documented/noted in the service receipt) 3) It's likely, though not certain, that multiple broken/chewed wires would result in some type of error messages or a noted lack of functionality in some regard.

As far as compensation, etc... The wiring has been fixed. No one is psyched about a wiring repair due to rodent damage on a new $100,000 car, but I'm not sure what would be reasonable. Assuming the job was done correctly you should have no issues and no one would be likely to ever notice (though the tech did- so maybe that's saying something). Where is the damage/repair?
    -Hayden

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro; 2010 Acura RDX (my wife's vehicle)

There are still unanswered questions but could the absence of the "Audi feel" be the combination of an electric steering pump and the nanny systems? Just a thought. Whenever I drive our 2007 A4, I am reminded how much better the hydraulic steering is -- great road feel, tracks straight, etc. My S4 is 7 years newer and the steering is worse

Also, tires can completely change the demeanor of a car. If he had snow tires or a different brand of all seasons, that could be it, too. Putting the General AS-03s on my A4 was the biggest tire purchase mistake I ever made. Turned my Audi into a Buick.
    2014 Monsoon Gray S4 Prem+ | S-Tronic | LH Magma Nappa leather interior | Carbon Atlas inlays | Sports Diff | Adaptive Damping suspension | 19” peelers | MMI Nav | Bang & Olufsen | tints | VAG COM mods via OBDeleven | Autostyle Mats

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 S4

Valid point. And they may be the case as well.

I don't think that the 'feel' may merit anything in response with AOA, it's probably an extra topping on the cake once you find out their were wire issues prior to owning it.

My personal guess is the wire issue escalated the mental idea that the car wasn't handling the same as the older Audi's he was driving.

I think it'll get resolved someday.
    1988 80 - SOLD
    1990 90 - SOLD
    2000 A4 - SOLD
    2006 A4 - SOLD
    2008 A4 - SOLD
    2011 A4 - SOLD
    2014 S4 - SOLD

BUILD THREAD <-- Click

Site Moderator Four Rings Stubek's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Honda Element SC

Moving this to the Audi Customer Experience Forum so that @Audi-USA can help you out.
    Kevin - Moderator, Audizine

2011 A4 Avant Meteor Grey/Black, Titanium Package, Prem+ Nav, B&O. Euro LED Tail Lights, Tint, LED license plate lights, LED interior lights, custom sub, lots of VAG updates, Eurocode Alu Kruez, Hotchkiss F/R Swaybars

Build thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ead?highlight=

Veteran Member Four Rings MrFunk's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Audi S4. 2017 Mini CMS JCW. 2016 Yamaha Z 125. 2007' Honda S2000

My friend bought an S4 years ago - pre-owned. The car had actually been previously owned by a sales person at the dealership.
    He asked the sales person if the car had any body damage. The answer was no. He asked the sales manager as well as the service department - all said no.
    He bought the car and when he got it home was detailing it and found overspray all over the rear and even some bondo!
    After some "communications" with AoA etc the dealership bought the car back from him at the sale price.

Now - he had noticed this a few days after buying the car and called AoA immediately, so wasn't months later and thousands of miles later. But still, if you feel you were mislead then perhaps get a 3rd party involved.
    12' Prestige S4 + 6MT - Original Owner
    GIAC stg II v2 + AWE Pulley + Alpha Boost Cooler + Meisterwerk Shrt Shifter + AWE Cat-Back + S-Flow Intake & AFE Filter + H&R Front & Rear Sways + USS End Links + H&R OE Springs & Bilstein B8 Sprt Dampeners + Alu-Kreuz + CR-15 Upper Strut Brace + Ceramic Pads & 2-Piece Drilled/Slotted Rotors & SS Lines + Apikol Diff Mnt + 034 Trans Mnt Insert + ECS Diff Inserts

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

A new car can damaged in shipping and be repaired and sold brand new, no disclosure of the repairs required by the dealer. Don't see why wiring would be any different. Sucks.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2013 Volcano Red S5 Cabriolet, 93 Hatch

Just went through a "Damaged prior to Purchase" issue on my wife's A6... dealer was great in working through the troubles and took the car back. Unable to find another A6 Competition Prestige. Order banks closed as they switch over to 2019 model year A6, so she chose a new Q5. Wanted a Manhattan Grey, Premium Plus, (did not want the heads up display) with Cold Weather and the Warm Weather package, plus NAV and Bose. Took 3 weeks to find one, but just got the call... in route to the dealer!
    Family comes First!.... Nice cars a close second.

2017 SQ5 Ibis White, Black Optics P+ with Tech, Nappa, 21" wheels, MillTek exhaust, Chipwerks... more to come
    And for topless Summer fun... 2013 Volcano Red S5 Cabriolet Prestige, Black Optics Grill, Rear Valance, Tint, Unitronics Stage 3 with DP and TCU, IE Down Pipes... doesn't get any better!
    2018 Manhattan Grey Q5 Premium Plus with Nav, Hot & Cold packages, 20" wheels, B/O sound... wifey's new ride

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

a mouse or mice could of worked there way up there at any point in time from moving the car off the dealer lot to your dad hitting a curb a year later. not to mention if wires were chewed or there was any kind of issue with control, the cars dash would be lit up like a Christmas tree. I bet a mouse/mic made their way up there as it sat in a body shops lot waiting to be fixed.