Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings CoreyRS's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Perfect looking stock wheels...

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Mine are not perfect looking. I had them refinished by a place in San Jose that painted them and the paint is now horribly chipped and getting worse.

I want my wheels to look good again, AND be durable (I have yet to ever curb a wheel, so not sure how this is happening).

Anyone powder coated the stock wheels to look close to stock?

I am not opposed to paint, but this last attempt didn't last long...

Any thoughts and pictures are welcome.

Veteran Member Four Rings Blackstallion's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Not much help but I would imagine it would be easier to match titanium color than the standard silver. Im guessing "hyper silver" would be rather close - could be excuse to do a titanium conversion :)

I've had experience on previous cars with powder coating and couldn't be happier though with that direction

Veteran Member Four Rings AudiTechS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 S4

2001 Audi S4 Manual - Nogaro Blue/black - Full AWE stg 3 kit w/ manifolds,h&r coilovers,jhm trans rebuild,UUC VM3 exhaust , 2.5" dp's - Needs Love - Got some love now 442awhp and 512 awtq
    2004 Audi S4 Avant manual - Silver/black - 2.7 swapped ,k24's and srm side mounts

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

What type of shop repainted the wheels? Most of the high end shops I've seen take the same steps they do when painting a car and it should be just as durable. I'm not sure about the other brands but BBS's are painted and then coated in a clear.

Could also look into some of the ceramic coatings but that won't help if the surface it's bonded to (paint) is flaking off.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyRS View Post
    Anyone powder coated the stock wheels to look close to stock?
    Be careful with powder-coating aluminium. Heating a metal above 30-40% of it's melting-point temperature will re-crystallise it's micro structure, causing a huge deficit in strength and durability of the metal. With aluminium the re-crystallisation would start at about 200C (392F).

Because of this, most high-end manufacturers that produce flow-formed aluminium/magnesium rims only paint them and strictly avoid powder-coating.
    Jeremy Clarkson: "So when you were saying that it wont slide, what you meant was, I cant slide it.
    James May: "Yes."

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi Q5 3.0T Premium Plus

I had my OEM wheels powdercoated silver, as my OEM finish was beginning to peel. Ran me around $800 about 4 years ago. No issues. Pics are from a few days ago.

Front Left:

Rear left:
    2007 Audi RS4 - Daytona Grey - OEM+

2014 Audi Q5 3.0T Premium Plus - Monsoon Grey - EPL Stage 2