Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Need some help here...

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I recently just started hearing this clunking sound coming from the front of my car as if something is loose. Very slow speed usually off bumps. I got some input from the 8V S3 Facebook members and they are saying the strut mount bearings and itís a know issue. I brought it to a reputable shop around my area that specifically works on German cars, they say my struts are ok and replaced the mount bearings....and still makes the noise. They said they have no idea whatís causing it. $376 down the drain and I still donít have an answer. Can anyone assist?

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Could be sway bar end links.

Established Member Two Rings Lanorg's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1997 1.9 TDI Jeep TJ
    Items for Sale

The shop would have easily seen the sway bar if it was the culprit. Check the subframe bushings. The stretch bolts can wear long before the bushing shows signs of wear.

This guy solved it and another poster said he fixed his issue and it came back, so he recommends a particular brand to replace them with:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-noise-I-think
    B5

Veteran Member Three Rings Spinnetti's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm in the same boat, but haven't torn things apart yet. I ordered a subframe collar kit with new bolts from 034 to take the slop out - hopefully that's it, but that low speed bump thing sounds like the suspension is going to fall out. I also ordered new strut bearings & 034 strut tops. Hopefully parts will be here in the next day or two and I'll figure it out. I had the same thing happen in my MKV Jetta and new subframe bolts and locking washers fixed that.
    2015 S3 Uni ECU / Uni TCU / Dang near the whole 034 suspension catalog / Alzor 18x8.5 ET35 wheels / Firestone 255 tires / Tint / Audi rings graphics
    2008 R8 V8 Manual Uni ECU / Avior Exhaust / 15mm Spacers / R8 Puddle lights / Custom mats
    1991 LS400 Literally every part replaced or modified (24hrs of Lemons car)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Lanorg View Post
    The shop would have easily seen the sway bar if it was the culprit. Check the subframe bushings. The stretch bolts can wear long before the bushing shows signs of wear.

This guy solved it and another poster said he fixed his issue and it came back, so he recommends a particular brand to replace them with:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-noise-I-think
    I was referring to the sway bar end links. The rod that connects the sway bar to the strut. There's no way for them to look at it and see if it's bad unless the boot is torn and/or there's grease inside the wheel well. You'd have to take them off and flex the head to determine. It should be kinda stiff. If it moves easily, then it's bad. I've had them go bad on two cars. It literally feels like the front end is falling off.

just turn up the radio.