Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Intro and build thread in one

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello all Audi and B5 owners, I'm pleased to me a member of this masochistic group. I say this because for the love of anything holy, why would any SANE person LOVE working on these cars? LOL

Small into about myself. I simply love cars and some of my friends say that I have too many of them yet I say that I don't have enough. All of my true car friends have Audis ranging from an allroad to a S2, I think (My BMW background is showing), so I decided to join the club. After looking at all the models and knowing how much I want to spend, I decided to get the B5 S4 (joke's on me right?!?!?! LOL).

Now onto the main event, the car. After months of searching WA for a decently priced and looking B5 and not finding any, I decided to open the search to Oregon. I saw a few but most of them have body damage and that's a 100% no from me. Then it happened, I saw one that I can actually work with right here in WA. Silver ext., black int., but high miles, 196K. But honestly at this point, I did not care. So after some, very little haggling, the female seller and myself settled on a fair price due to sentimental value, which I do understand.

Here she is (little do I know that I should have taken more pics of it as she'll NEVER be this virgin again):
    Outside Audi Pic 1.jpg

I really like the car and it drove well, but it was SLOW!!!! I have an Acura Integra and this twin turbo Audi felt no different. Plus, during some pulls, my friend's Allroad ran away from me so fast, it looked as if I was in reverse. So after receiving enough azz wooping, I said enough is enough and decided to tune it.
    What a world of difference. The K03 woke up and the car came alive. This is what I was expecting from the start.

But as they say, all good things comes to an embarrassing halt due to my stupidity. I changed all the fluids but didn't do the belts, serpentine or timing. Yes, shoot me now. What's funny is that the car even warned me in a way.

When driving one day, the steering suddenly went stiff and I thought that the engine went out, but it was running, so I knew that it had to be the serpentine belt. I went to a friend's shop and this was the culprit:
    Broken aux belt tensioner.jpg

Right then I should have done the timing belt, but no, the jedi stupidity force was strong and reigned supreme as I simply fixed the aux belt tensioner and continued to drive the car around. I even went as fast as buying a new exhaust.
    Then you guessed it, coming back from putting on the exhaust, the car DIED while cruising to a stop light and refused to start. With the stupidity force still with me, I tried to start it but it wouldn't even crank.

So it was towed away and I have never driven it since. What was the culprit you ask? Why the belt tensioner pulley decided to become a donut, that's why:
    destroyed pulley.jpg

So to every one out there, for the love of anything holy, don't procrastinate and change everything on a new to you car.

The engine swap will be in the other posts. Thanks for reading.

I'm working on the picture hosting issue.
    Last edited by SoundEfx; 06-11-2018 at 03:02 PM.

AZ Member #

So the build starts here. I miss driving the car so I decided to simply get the car running again. Unfortunately all of the local audi engines are in pieces but sold for really cheap, so I bought a spare block which I plan to completely build, but more on that later. WAY LATER....

I found a few on the internet and decided on one before the searching drove me into 100% insanity. But as luck would have it, the engine they sent looked HORRIBLE with rust on almost everything. So I decided to use it as a learning tool. It's from an auto, so there were more wires and hosing than the manual counter part. But the dilemma of taking out the broken engine still loomed and I dreaded the day. It looked complicated with all those wires and hoses every where and even though every one kept saying that it's easy, I know that there are always the small things that would get you. More on that later.

There are some of the pics of the 'new engine':
    Auto engine hoses galore.jpg

Top of auto engine.jpg

Auto engine compressor 1.jpg

Auto engine front.jpg

Because I'm learning as I go, I took my time, took quite a few pictures so I 'know' where everything goes. It took me a while but here is the progress I made:
    Auto engine total teardown.jpg

Let me know what you all suggest I do with the engine.

My next post will be about the engine pull. It was such an emotional ride.
    Last edited by SoundEfx; 06-13-2018 at 07:52 AM.

AZ Member #

On to the actual engine pull. I'll start off by saying that after taking out the engine, it is NOT difficult, but, IN MY OPINION, these things are necessary:
    1. The right tools. I had everything I needed and without one tool, it would be more of a headache.
    2. A second pair of hands and eyes to navigate the engine's destination.
    3. Be prepared to learn on your own as there is no 100% fool proof guide out there. There will ALWAYS be a ground wire, wire loom clip or something that is still attached which would have you stomped and cursing. Simply take your time and do this with no rush.

So yesterday I decided to put my big boy pants on and was determined to get this damn engine out of the car. I followed the famous youtube guide and it got me really far, but as I said earlier, there is always something.
    1. The axles would not have cleared the stock down pipes, so I had to take them out. Which is a task by itself.
    2. The ground wire and wire loom that's on the bottom right of the cross member had me cursing for a few minutes because according to everything I can remember, I detached everything. I was wrong.

So to some of you, this is a walk in the park, but to me, this was my first ever audi engine swap and I'm very particular about my cars. I HATE dents and the usual "Just do this, no one will see it because it's under that car" attitude.

Final result of my Audi engine adventure:
    Old engine out.jpg

I decided to leave the shifter on there because I didn't want to mess with aligning it later on.

The next few posts will be of me pretending I know what I'm doing as I take out worn parts like the clutch and swap over known good parts from the bad engine.

Wish me luck.
    Last edited by SoundEfx; 06-13-2018 at 07:56 AM.

AZ Member #

Smart you left the shifter rod attached to the linkage ..

Rookie mistake on my part, definitely disconnected it and spent another 10-15 minutes unnecessarily realigning it as I got it back into the car.
    2001.5 S4 6MT - F21s w/ some things - Build thread HERE
    2007 Honda Fit 5MT - Daily

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by TylerT View Post
    Smart you left the shifter rod attached to the linkage ..

Rookie mistake on my part, definitely disconnected it and spent another 10-15 minutes unnecessarily realigning it as I got it back into the car.
    Thanks for reading.

I wouldn't call it a rookie mistake because if I remember correctly, the expert in the video also took out the shifter mechanism.
    Besides, the less I have to mess with on the car, the greater chance of it being driveable after I am done with it.

Established Member Four Rings JustManson's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Intro and build thread in one

Welcome SoundEfx!

I too was in your position about 6 months ago except I blew both of my K04 turbos. Just turned 900 miles on my build.

Engine removal was “easy” but it sure didn’t feel that way looking at it everyday... I know the feeling all too well.

I ended up not removing the axles, I removed the down pipes and pushed the axles to the rear of the car, cleared.

I also removed the entire linkage. It aligns very easy IMO and had it setup and shifting perfectly in minutes. The JHM video helped a lot and alignment with my IPhone on the level within the compass app worked great LOL.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JustManson View Post
    Welcome SoundEfx!

I too was in your position about 6 months ago except I blew both of my K04 turbos. Just turned 900 miles on my build.

Engine removal was “easy” but it sure didn’t feel that way looking at it everyday... I know the feeling all too well.

I ended up not removing the axles, I removed the down pipes and pushed the axles to the rear of the car, cleared.

I also removed the entire linkage. It aligns very easy IMO and had it setup and shifting perfectly in minutes. The JHM video helped a lot and alignment with my IPhone on the level within the compass app worked great LOL.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Thanks man. I remember your thread. I decided not to remove the down pipes because I was running out of time and when looking at it, looked like a more difficult task than the axles. But I might be wrong because now my axles are destroyed.

My next step is to get all the new gaskets and start the engine refresh process.