Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4LiterBeater View Post
    Its all in growing pains. You will have this car building 27 pounds of boost in 2 years and be taking it apart just to put stainless hardware in a spot no one sees or cares about.

And for wear items, sometimes it pays to pay more. FCP Euro warranties EVERYTHING that they sell and that includes oil. Hint hint, run 5w-40 Liqui-Moly.
    How the hell do you warranty oil? LOL

I am NOT taking this engine out until I get another engine built to accept the TTE's I wishing to get one day. Although now I do have the knowledge to do it much quicker, I simply don't want to and that's why almost everything going in is brand new.

The fifth engine will be delivered tomorrow and I'll perform a leak down on it right away. If the numbers don't match up with the worse cylinder on the other engine, cylinder 2, I'll send it back. I am so done with this car....

AZ Member #

Can anyone tell me if the only differences between these two installation kits are the turbo to downpipe gaskets:
    https://jhmotorsports.com/products/e...-for-2-7t.html
    https://jhmotorsports.com/products/e...-for-2-7t.html

Also, I need all the washers and studs, but I don't want to source them individually. Are the manifold to turbo bolts universal to aftermarket turbos? If so, I'll buy one of these kits and call it a day.

Active Member One Ring ubeermench's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Pretty sure only the gaskets are different.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ubeermench View Post
    Pretty sure only the gaskets are different.
    Thanks for the reply.

These small things add up quick as I might have to spend another $200 in gaskets and washers.....

AZ Member #

I think I have all the parts necessary to perform these two videos today:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpdB...ature=youtu.be
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4luWRWVI58&t=314s

So thanks Justin. Now lets see if it's going to take me the same ~40 minutes. LOL..... LOL.....

I wish I could fire the engine up today.

AZ Member #

Can someone confirm that the angle of these down pipes is ok and wouldn't negatively affect the lining up of the exhaust:

- - - Updated - - -

HOLY CRAP!!! I don't know why the image came out like that. I'll try to fix it.

AZ Member #

Those were my brand new exhaust. Now onto my inlets that I paid extra for from the turbo manufacturer.

I had to modify it to make it fit 'this close'. Look at the brackets on the inlets against the engine itself.

Every part of this engine replacement has been a nightmare. Don't get me started on the broken tabs.....lol
    I laugh because it's either that or burn this car to the GROUND!!!!

The pictures don't really tell the whole story because I twisted and pushed every piece and it simply wouldn't line up.

Veteran Member Four Rings Alex1188's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SoundEfx View Post
    Can someone confirm that the angle of these down pipes is ok and wouldn't negatively affect the lining up of the exhaust:

- - - Updated - - -

HOLY CRAP!!! I don't know why the image came out like that. I'll try to fix it.
    Back when I put on full 3" DP mine looked very similar. Luckily for me a good friend owns an exhaust shop. Had to bend the mid pipes to connect them to the stock exhaust.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1188 View Post
    Back when I put on full 3" DP mine looked very similar. Luckily for me a good friend owns an exhaust shop. Had to bend the mid pipes to connect them to the stock exhaust.
    Damn, that's not very good news because I don't have such friends....lol
    Another difference is the fact that this is going to be attached to the rest of the same exhaust and not to stock, so hopefully they compensate for the angle.

Needless to say that when I put this engine back in and if the exhaust doesn't line up, I'll me more than pissed because by now, you would think that aftermarket parts for a 17 year old car should fit without modification.

Established Member Two Rings climb4hope's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 Allroad 2.7T manual, 02 Allroad 2.7T auto, 01 S4 6sp (building)

Quote Originally Posted by SoundEfx View Post
    Damn, that's not very good news because I don't have such friends....lol
    Another difference is the fact that this is going to be attached to the rest of the same exhaust and not to stock, so hopefully they compensate for the angle.

Needless to say that when I put this engine back in and if the exhaust doesn't line up, I'll me more than pissed because by now, you would think that aftermarket parts for a 17 year old car should fit without modification.
    Bolt on the midpipes while the engine is out and see if they line up well. As long as they come out as a parallel line with the expected distance between them it should be easy to trim the length in case at all required.

Veteran Member Four Rings wbrunner23's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1955 Johnson QD-16

There is a slight bend in the mid pipe on that side - you're probably okay. There's also some play in the flex joint.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by climb4hope View Post
    Bolt on the midpipes while the engine is out and see if they line up well. As long as they come out as a parallel line with the expected distance between them it should be easy to trim the length in case at all required.
    I might try this. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wbrunner23 View Post
    There is a slight bend in the mid pipe on that side - you're probably okay. There's also some play in the flex joint.
    Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Knowing me, I think I'll just put it in and see how it fits while in/on the car. That way IF any modification is needed, the calculations/adjustments can be made without any guess work.
    Also, keep in mind that I had to shave a little off the transmission mount because that side was hitting. The other side has a 1 mm gap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12